Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rookie Pork Butt Question

I have 2 7.5 pound pork butts that i'm smoking up tonight on my LBGE.  Being this is my first try at using the BGE for a low and slow, should I expect the cook to take closer to 15 hours as this is the total weight of meat, or should I expect the cook to take 8 hours as this is the weight of the largest pork butt?

Any other suggestions for a first timer would be helpful as well.
Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life. - Anonymous.

Comments

• jcaspary
    jcaspary Posts: 1,479
    Figure on an hour and a half per pound for the largest piece.  Watch out at the end though.  All butts are different and will also finish at different times.  Pull each one when they probe like butter. 
    XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    +1

the largest cut is what you'll consider.  Have fun and don't stress.  Pork butt is a good choice for first low and slow because it's a very forgiving cut of meat

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • anton
    anton Posts: 1,813
    I usually go 8-12 hrs for a butt that size. You can always crank up the heat to meet your time for finishing.As the above have stated, it is a forgiving hunk of meat.
     Using a MBGE,woo/w stone,livin' in  Hayward California," The Heart Of The Bay "
  • GWizBrewing
    GWizBrewing Posts: 23
    Thanks for the details!  Is it easier to smoke both pork butts on the same rack or using some sort of homemade tiered rack system?

I only have eyeballed it, but I should have plenty of space on the same rack.
    Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day. Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life. - Anonymous.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Beware the dreaded stall.
    New Albany, Ohio 

• logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Same rack will be fine, just have a little space between them and enjoy.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA 
  • jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    @GWizBrewing   Best advice is to relax and enjoy the cook - don't overthink it or make it complicated.  Pork butt is very flexible in how it is cooked, just make sure you get it cooked enough.

You didn't indicate what temp you plan to cook at.  Time will vary based on cooking temp. Here are some rough time frames for pork butt.  
    As for cooking time, there is a good amount of variability between individual pieces so take all times as rough.  

225º:  2 hours a pound

250º: 1.5 hours a pound

280º:  1 hour per pound

350º:  45 mins per pound

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Some members have had their fire go out when cooking at 225.  I suggest cooking them at 275.  They will be great.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    My first was last weekend.  Target dome temp was 220.  Lost fire between 10 and 11 hrs.  Just using daisy wheel.  8# removed 17.25 hrs.  I will probably target 250 next time
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • GWizBrewing
    GWizBrewing Posts: 23
    Thanks for the help everyone.  I would call my first butt a success.  I targeted 240-250, but the temp got hot while I fell asleep.  I work up to my thermometer beeping because the temp reached 290.  Oh well, still nice and juicy when it got done. 
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    I went at 225 on a large yesterday for 11 hours for a 5.6 pounder

Buttah
    New Albany, Ohio