Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless skinless chicken breast.

mjk412
mjk412 Posts: 113
I wanted to make some bonkers skinless chicken breasts on the egg.  Last time I made them I cooked at 350 till done. Came out not so great. Wife hates it. I wanted to try again. Any tips? 

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Don't over cook it. 

I love plowboys yardbird on chicken. 

Biggest thing ink is don't overcook. Pull 157-160 IT. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Also, you'll likely get more response if you edit your title to include help needed or advice needed etc...
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    edited May 2015
    I like to do boneless skinless chicken breasts at 400-425 raised direct. I'll usually marinade them overnight then remove from the marinade and scrape with a spatula just before putting them on (in order to get a bit more color on the breasts). They come out great! No smoke wood needed. 

@theyolksonyou is 100% correct, be sure not to overcook them. They'll dry out in a hurry. I pull when they hit 155 on my themapen. 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited May 2015
    Brine them, I think an 'in-direct' cook is what's in order ... also what I think would be really awesome, served along side would be small red potatoes cut into 1/4 sections (garlic potatoes) then put them in HDAF .. also a separate foil package fill with veggies ... sounds awesome to me, in fact ... I'm gonna do this tonight.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • mjk412
    Also, you'll likely get more response if you edit your title to include help needed or advice needed etc...
    Then offer some help. :)
  • mjk412
    Didn't have time to marinate. I'll do that next time. Thanks for the tips!  
  • theyolksonyou
    Well, taste bad and wife hates it are pretty hard to diagnose without some specifics. What's done? What temp are you pulling them?  I don't have a problem with the chicken I cook as I cook it as I described in my first post on this thread. 

Maybe someone else will chime in. 
  • ChillyWillis
    Agreed, it tough to tell what went wrong with your current description. If the chicken was just dry the above tips should help, but if there were other issues (like for example the chicken was too smokey) it could be a plethora of other issues going on. 
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    I rub lightly with EVOO, then dry rub. Raised indirect at 400° until 155° int. cherry wood for smoke. 
    GWN
  • gerhardk
    gerhardk Posts: 942
    edited May 2015
    I think skinless, boneless = no flavour.  We do chicken quite often and I have never liked eating the skin but I think the fat under the skin adds flavour to the meat same goes for the bone.  I takes a little longer to cook but worth the extra time.

Just my dumb opinion

Gerhard
  • ChillyWillis
    I generally agree with you @gerhardk however IMHO a good marinade can save the day. I was never a fan either, but needed to figure out something that worked when my fiancée started dieting for the wedding. A good marinade did the trick for me. 
  • mjk412
    I'll be using bone in from now on. I have the boneless skinless and need to use them up. I over cooked it last time.