Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Applewood Chunks - Wet or dry

Options
Should I soak the applewood chunks or put on top of the lump dry? Got a cook planned for 6 slabs....

Comments

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    Options
    Dry
    Brandon, MS
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Dry - wet wood has to dry out first before it can start to char and smoke.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @FiremanMikeD   hey brother, either way is ok ... when you soak em', you tend to get a longer smoke.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It's like having a discussion of which is better, Ford or Chevy. Some will tell why you should or shouldn't but really just boils down to your own personal preference.  Some swear by it and others say no way.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • FiremanMikeD
    Options
    Appreciate the feedback! I went with 3" x 4" dry chunks. Smells good, and I have some chips if I think the smoke drops out too quick. I'm thinking next time, I may do a mix; dry and wet chunks, best of both worlds! 
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @FiremanMikeD  ... sounds like a winner to me.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    Do you put your wood chunks in before lighting?  If so, where in the stack. 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • ChillyWillis
    ChillyWillis Posts: 893
    Options
    If I'm doing a low and slow I mix the wood chunks throughout the charcoal as I'm filling the egg. If I'm just adding a chunk or two (or a handful of chips) to cook a steak I'll just toss them on top. 

Also, for what it's worth I tend to soak wood chips but leave wood chunks dry. I find the soak with the chips helps to prevent them all from burning up as soon as they hit the fire. No need with the chunks because they last much longer. 
  • Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Dry.
    McKinney, TX
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    What @ChillyWillis said. Dry chips will burn up before you get the food on the egg and chunks will smolder for a long time dry. You can also make a little foil pack for chips to prolong smoking. Or you can keep both chips and chunks on hand for different cooks. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Dry. I also use a hatchet to break the chunks down into smaller equal sized pieces for consistency from cook to cook. 
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    I only use wood chunks and I always cook with them dry now.  When I first started doing BBQ I would soak the chunks because everything I read at the time said to do it that way but I was never really happy with the product.  I never really liked the flavor profile of the smoke on the meat so I started out changing the wood I was using thinking maybe I didn't care for Hickory as much but I kept getting the same bad flavor from the smoke.  So I started to experiment with not soaking and I felt the product turned out better.  My thought on why is that when wood is wet and burned the smell is a little different and off compared to dry wood because your fire has to dry the wood back out before it catches so it smolders the chunks until it's dry enough to ignite.  Your meat takes the most smoke early in the cook so when you're using wet wood you're getting those flavors from the wet smoldering wood on your meat.  That's my theory and thought on it.  Some swear that it's better to soak the wood others like myself think dry for similar reasons as I stated here.  As long as you and your guests are happy with the outcome you're not going wrong either way.  I think the best way for you to make your decision is to cook it with wet wood one time and then with dry the next and that being the only difference you make.  Then you'll know which one you and the family or guests prefer.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA