Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature

Mark
Mark Posts: 295
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I am having trouble getting my large Egg up to high temperature for steaks. I completely clean out the ash in bottom. I load charcoal to above the holes, almost to the line in middle of egg. I have bottom vent wide open, Top lid off. I wait 40 minutes, cannot get above 425 degrees. Wahts wrong?

Comments

• Sigmore
    Sigmore Posts: 621
    Mark, Did you clean the holes in the cast iron grate?

• edbro
    edbro Posts: 300
    Mark,
    Make sure that the hole in the firebox is lined up with the bottom vent.

• Mark
    Mark Posts: 295
    Sigmore,
    Cast iron grate? I don't know that I have one of those. Do you mean the bottom of the egg, where the ash accumulates? I clean that thoroughly.

• Mark,
    He's refering to the cast iron grate that holds the charcoal up off of the very bottom of the egg. If that's not in place, or clogged, you may not get the airflow you want.
    Paul

• egginator
    egginator Posts: 569
    Mark,
    There should be a 6 or 7 inch diameter cast iron grate in the bottom of the firebox so that there is 5 inches of air space below the lump.[p]Ed

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Mark,[p]The Egg has three pieces inside, not counting the grill. At the very bottom is the firebox - it has a bunch of holes around it about 1/2 way up which let air in, and it has one large rectangular cutout. That cutout needs to be aligned with the stainless steel vent door. [p]You should also have a round piece of cast iron, about 9 or ten inches in diameter and 1/8 inch thick, with a lot of holes in it. This sits in the bottom of the firebox about 4-5 inches above the very base of the Egg. The charcoal is placed on top of this round iron grate - it holds the charcoal up so that air comes in from underneath and ash falls through to the bottom of the Egg. (note: the grate has tapered edges that match the slope of the firebox - make sure you put it in accordingly.)[p]The final piece is the firering - that sits on top of the firebox and holds the grill.
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Gosh I hope you have a grate. I couldn't imagine your egg working well without one.
  • edbro,
    Hey edbro! its pamsis. im ordering my egg tomorrow.

• CJ
    CJ Posts: 50
    Mark,
    For what it's worth....it seems to me that if you can get to 425° then most things appear to be working. Have you tried rigging up some kind of fan to force air in the vent?

• Mark,
    Try a different brand of charcoal; some brands may burn hotter. Getting a hotter fire means getting more air. Put fresh, large pieces of charcoal on the bottom (the cast iron grate) to let air in; put smaller pieces of charcoal on top. And fill the firebox with charcoal at least half way (or higher) up the fire ring -- that's the top ring. Fresh charcoal seems to get hotter than charcoal you are reusing from previous cooks. More charcoal will give you a hotter fire if it has enough air.