Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Need help from the Weber guys

Options
Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
edited May 2015 in Off Topic
Trying to help my daughters BF with his grilling. Can someone give me the rundown on the Weber Kettle?   I'm assuming I can burn RW and guessing I can use cubed to start like I do in my eggs or is it better to use a chimney.?   I'm not a Weber guy but if I can the initial fire out of the way I'm sure I can help him out.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I thought our friendship was coming to an end....

I'm no help other than to say, if he's the one, I have an idea for a wedding gift...
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I'm with you @theyolksonyou!!!  I have to deal with the right now and keeping my daughter & granddaughter happily fed off the weber 

analyze adapt overcome

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Shoot I'd say treat it just like your egg. Lump, lighting, etc. really no difference until you tried to do a low and slow. (I'd guess)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Yeah. If you watch the BBQ pit boys videos they seem to do pretty guuud on a weber.  =)
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Treat it the same. Just be ready to add charcoal every 2 hrs. on a low and slow. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback!! 

Is it better to use Lump or the briquettes?

analyze adapt overcome

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    look at the weber virtual Bullet forum there are many ways to set it up where you can go hours without adding lump. Pretty sure I have seen posts where people go 8 hours in a kettle without adding coals.
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    @lit - thank you for the advice!! i understand this is is an egg community but I knew there were some experienced weber cooks here too. 

analyze adapt overcome

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    The snake is what I have seen people doing on the brethren. Basically a ring of charcoal around the outside and light the lump and let it burn around. You need to try to get mostly all the same sized smaller lump so it burns consistent and doesn't go out. I only use my kettle for wings but I set it up likei said in my first post. The chimney works best to get it going.
  • Grillin_beers
    Grillin_beers Posts: 1,345
    Options
    I loved my weber kettle before I got my egg.  I used lump in mine lit with a cube.  There isn't a thermometer on the kettle so you'll have to use  your hand to tell if it's hot medium or low.
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    Lit said:
    look at the weber virtual Bullet forum there are many ways to set it up where you can go hours without adding lump. Pretty sure I have seen posts where people go 8 hours in a kettle without adding coals.
    That's awesome. Best I ever did was 4 hrs in a kettle. I'm not hatin, just surprised. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I always used briquettes and used a chimney to start.  You can do two zone, good airflow control, very good grills, just don't have the insulation or fuel capacity of an egg.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    I use hardwood lump in my Weber Smokey Joe for tailgating weekly.  I use the weed torch for starting the lump so I'm not much help for a chimney or starter cubes.  
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I like briquettes in the kettle, throw some lump chips on top of the grey briquettes if you want some searing heat, mesquite will also add some smoke flavour. Minion method works well with briquettes for low and slows, get about a dozen going, then add some next to the burning ones, the fire will spread and give you hours between adding fuel. Using Kingsford comp or Stubbs, very little if any VOCs. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Mattman3969
    Options
    I very much appreciate the help 

analyze adapt overcome

• AD18
    AD18 Posts: 209
    Options
    I still have and regularly use my Weber kettle.  Always use a Weber chimney, lump charcoal, and a Weber starter cube to start.  I use it now primarily, and actually prefer over Egg, for grilling.  The ability to get all the charcoal on one side for indirect is sooooo much easier.  I have done low and slow on it prior to getting my Egg though with pretty good results.  I basically did the Minion method of lining up the charcoal around the outside and started one end.  Worked great, but temp control, longevity of cook, and insulation no where near the Egg.  A kettle is a great way to start on a budget, learn the tricks of the trade, and enjoy the journey.  Save up for an Egg down the road.  Best of luck and enjoy!!!!!
    Large BGE, Weber 22.5 kettle, Weber Genesis
    Cobourg, Ontario
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    AD18 said:
     A kettle is a great way to start on a budget, learn the tricks of the trade, 
    Agree 100%^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. A kettle is very versatile and a great all around rig. Its also great to have around as a extra heat source. You can never have to many heat sources in my opinion. For the money, it's a tough act to follow. Most folks over the age of 40 got their start on a kettle of some type. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    I got my start with a Weber kettle and a smokenator insert. For the $ it's tough to beat that set up.  I still use it as a secondary device when needed. Almost time for a second Egg....if only my kids weren't planning on college!  
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • SGH
    Options
    MJG said:
    I got my start with a Weber kettle 
    Myself include. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Steve753
    Steve753 Posts: 140
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I use briquettes and light them with a chimney. I love my egg, but there are certain foods that do better with a Weber (such as beer can chicken). The problem with using lump charcoal in a Weber is that it burns up way too quickly.
    Large Big Green Egg
    Weber Gold
    Old Smokey

San Diego, Ca
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    The Weber is a great grill for building a medium sized fire on one side and roasting something at 300-325 degrees on the other side of the grate in a semi-indirect way. Pork loin and tenderloin are great this way as are prime rib and beef tenderloin. It works well for chicken too. With a medium sized fire, the lid on tightly, but air vents maximally open it will settle in the 300-350 range. You can close down vents some and get down to 275 or so relatively easily. It is also a great steak grill with the lid off. Fill it with lump and get a great sear. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Mattman3969
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I had a kettle about 12yrs ago until I ran over it.  Long story involving copious amounts of adult beverages.  I knew nothing other than fluid and briquettes.  You guys have taught me so much over the last few years.  

Tomorrow  is the day. I'm thinking wings and steaks are a good place to start. I'm gonna take a bag of lump and stop and buy a chimney.  I just got to get him fluid free. 

Thanks for the help guys!!!

analyze adapt overcome

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Just so happens that I'm cooking on a Weber this weekend at my sister's place.  

If you don't have the Weber OTG with the dome thermo,  you can stick an inexpensive thermometer in one of the vent holes. Cook with the vent  holes in the lid fully open. Adjust temp with the intake slits on the bottom.

Briquettes seemed to work best for me,  lit with a chimney.  The smaller Weber chimney was easier to work with. I liked the Stubbs briqs. Kroger brand was good too.  If you lay the briqs down in a ring (the snake method) and just light at one end,  with the vents cracked just a little,  you can get upto 8hrs as mentioned above. 

I miss the option of setting up direct and indirect zones in the same cook. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    The Smokenator makes going L&S a breeze with the kettle.  You just have to add fuel from time to time and water in the water bath almost hourly.  A lot more babysitting than the egg, but the results are great!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Mattman3969
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Not bad results for an unfamiliar cooking vessel. The main thing was I taught him how to light without fluid. The legs were just a perk   You will see I charred a couple of them but they were still edible once the skin was gone.  

Thanks for for all the tips!!  Now to get home and get my wok out. 

analyze adapt overcome

• SGH
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me my friend :clap: 

Status- Standing by.

• cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    Nice cook. It's hard to beat chicken on a kettle. 
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    A 22-inch Weber kettle is a great cooker. Load a chimney with lump and you will be cooking in no time. As suggested dump the chimney on one side of the kettle for a direct side and an indirect side. The Weber can make outstanding chicken (because it gets the skin nice and crispy). With two fire bricks, the possibilities for cooking on a Weber are greatly expanded.

The Weber is a great first grill, and makes the pleasure of using an Egg that much greater.

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Nice chicken. For the future:

Weber + Thermopen = good eats. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX