Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire cooled down...

Options
SuperDave
SuperDave Posts: 319
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I put three butts on the Egg last night after work around 7 pm. Having cleaned out the egg and loaded it up with a full load of lump I fired it up and put the Butts on after it stabilized at 250º~270º at the dome.[p] This morning I wake up at 6:00 a.m. to check it and the fire is all the way down to 120 or so!
I had to pull everything off and relight, but have it all back on now.
My question is, I was trying to meet a dinner time of around 4 or 5 p.m. How much will it set me back? The Thermopen says the butts are in the low to mid 120'sº
Thanks for the suggestions... I think I should have thrown out the old Wicked Good Comp. blend scraps that were in the egg....and put all big fresh pieces in. It seems to be fine now though.

Comments

• The Virginian
    Options
    SuperDave ,
    What was the internal temp of the meat. Was it below 140, and if so how much? There may be a food safety issue here more important than the timing issue, [p]I had something similar happen 2 years ago and had to toss the butts because the meat temp had clearly been in the danger zone for too long, which is below 140.
    Brett

• Snoopy Dog Dog
    Options
    Dsc01710.jpg
    <p />SuperDave ,[p]Getting ready to throw one on myself tonight.[p]Hopefully the meat is still ok, it's a little questionable. It should have been in the plateau by that time, which is usually in the 160's. Your post was about 3 1/2 hours ago, so you should be firmly in the plateau now. You might want to raise your temp at the end to finish it faster, but wait until you've broken out of the plateau. Hope it all works out. [p]It has happened to all of us at least once. Howell from BBQ Guru will be at the Oklahoma Eggfest and that would be a great addition to your Eggcessories. You won't run into that problem again with a Guru.[p]Chris
    [ul][li]BBQ GURU[/ul]
  • GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    SuperDave ,[p]I always clean out the egg and vacume it too. Then I use only FRESH lump for lo-n-slo's. I pull out the old stuff and save it for wings, burgers or steaks.[p]Oh yeah, a BBQ Guru E-Temp Pitminder makes for a good nights sleep too.[p]As far as the meat goes, when in doubt, throw it out.[p]Sorry man. [p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • SuperDave
    SuperDave Posts: 319
    Options
    The Virginian,[p]The meat temps were around 130º or so at 6 a.m. I got the fire going again... and now the temps are around 180º just getting ready to come out of the plateau. I plan on removing it at 4 or 4:30 this afternoon to rest for an hour in the cooler.
    I don't think the meat is hurt... I ate a cripy bit around three hours ago and feel fine! Pretty tasty if i do say so myself![p] The meat has been on the Egg for right at 20 hours, and I'm guessing the temp dropped around 2:30 this morning. I found it at 6:00a.m. so it went almost three hours around 150º then back up to 270º till now.
    In your opinion, is it safe to eat?[p]I certainly hope so, or I won't be a very popular host! lol....[p]Happy Egging!

• SuperDave ,
    You need a bbq guru. if you read through most of the posts on this forum and in the archives, you'll notice that the guru is the only thing that will keep a fire going for an overnight cook. The egg just can't handle it without a guru.[p]GURU-FAN

• QBabe
    QBabe Posts: 2,275
    Options
    GURU-FAN,[p]I beg to differ...[p]I have had my eggs for many years now, and have done countless overnights successfully since I got it, without the aid of a guru. Don't get me wrong. If folks like it and use it, that's great, but an egg is perfectly capable of doing an overnight cook without one...[p]Tonia
    :~)[p]