Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nice BGE article in Atlanta Magazine

Options
ksmyrl
ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
The photo at the end is a nice one of egghead forum's @NecessaryIndulg

Have a great weekend everyone.

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/great-reads/how-the-big-green-egg-became-a-phenomenon/

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    Very cool. 
    Thanks for posting.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    Also enjoyed that.
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Awesome!!!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Nice article. Thanks Kevin. 
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    Neat article ... thanks for posting.

The funny thing is that I owned a Kamado egg in the early 1970's just like Ed Fisher did ... imported back to the states in the belly of an Air Force C141 cargo plane.  We lived in Dover at the time and cooked on it religiously.  Briquettes and starter fluid was the method of the day.  We then moved it to Northern Michigan ... yep the UP.  The clay construction, moisture, and freezing cold did it in.  The bottom simply fell out on the ground when spring arrived.

A few general comments to make:

1) Ed Fisher has added a lot of life and quality to today's egg ... thank you Ed.   Stop complaining about eggs cracking ... the early ones simply turned back into mud under the wrong conditions.

2) Ed screwed up when he changed from the early Japanese smoke cap to today's daisy wheel.

3) Wish I could have been as insightful as Ed was back then.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Great Story - Thanks for sharing

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Neat article   I never knew the other companies were based in the Metro Area   Cool
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    ksmyrl said:
    The photo at the end is a nice one of egghead forum's @NecessaryIndulg

Have a great weekend everyone.

http://www.atlantamagazine.com/great-reads/how-the-big-green-egg-became-a-phenomenon/

Thank you, @ksmyrl. . . I am honored they wanted to use some of my EggFest photos.  It's a great article! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Thanks for posting the link! BTW I still have my Pachinko!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @RRP, outstanding!!  I hope it gets occasional use, not as much as your Eggs ;)
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    @RRP, outstanding!!  I hope it gets occasional use, not as much as your Eggs ;)
    True! Actually I need to find some new chrome balls. The several dozen I had were in a box that got damp and some developed rust spots. So - ol' dummy here soaked all of them in Naval Jelly. Next morning I discovered they no longer had ANY rust nor ANY chrome on them! Now they are rusty and rusty balls don't roll well in a Pachinko! 
  • Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    My dad was in the USN for 32 years. We lived in Japan for 4 years in the late 60’s. He bought one of those clay kamados in the Navy Exchange that he used for a couple of those years. He loved that thing.

When we moved back to the states late summer 1969 he bought two to ship back brand new with the hope that one of them would survive the journey. Only one survived the journey from Japan to the east coast and he used that for the next 15 or so years until he took up permanent residence at Arlington National Cemetery. It was the only grill we ever had at our house.
    That's a nice post. Thanks...
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    RRP, I hope you can find replacements.  It's a classic rig as you know.  You're kids/grandkids would enjoy a blast from the past.  Have a great weekend!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    RRP, I hope you can find replacements.  It's a classic rig as you know.  You're kids/grandkids would enjoy a blast from the past.  Have a great weekend!
    I just haven't bothered to look. One thing I was always happy about was when I bought it I had no idea it was electrified until I saw another one a month later at a neighbors home. I went back to the store and bought the last adapter they had. Man o man does that thing light up when the balls and scoring is happening! And I would never have known that hidden aspect!
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @RRP ... if it's an import from Japan it's probably wired for 100 volts ... running it on 120 volts will definitely light it up.

You know how noisy a single machine is ... can you imagine a room full of them and the noise that is created?  You can walk down the street and know there's a Pachinko Parlor ahead a block away.  Crazy.

• RRP
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @RRP ... if it's an import from Japan it's probably wired for 100 volts ... running it on 120 volts will definitely light it up.

You know how noisy a single machine is ... can you imagine a room full of them and the noise that is created?  You can walk down the street and know there's a Pachinko Parlor ahead a block away.  Crazy.
    I can imagine the sound of a Pachinko Parlor!

BTW yes ours was a used import for sure. I bought it in '68-69. Were you around here when Avie Cohen was in the wildest import business? Most everything he sold was used foreign "stuff" which seemed exotic by mid-western standards. He always bought in small lots and sold as is. If there was any brand new merchandise it was crap!  I remember one summer he bought 100 brand new tiny foreign cars with a tiny motor. He sold them like hot cakes in a matter of 3 days off a railroad siding for $600 as is. That summer those were trashed and left abandoned all over town! 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Good article, thanks!
  • Jeepster47
    Options
    @RRP ... missed that ... I was over in Rantoul for training about that time.

• danmac
    danmac Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks for sharing...
  • ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    My dad was in the USN for 32 years. We lived in Japan for 4 years in the late 60’s. He bought one of those clay kamados in the Navy Exchange that he used for a couple of those years. He loved that thing.

When we moved back to the states late summer 1969 he bought two to ship back brand new with the hope that one of them would survive the journey. Only one survived the journey from Japan to the east coast and he used that for the next 15 or so years until he took up permanent residence at Arlington National Cemetery. It was the only grill we ever had at our house.
    What a great story on memorial day weekend. Very, very cool. Thanks for sharing. Thank you to all you veterans out there for your service. We enjoy our expensive grills partly because of you. 
    Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Neat article. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC.