Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Quality

2»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    @ Lit  same black cloud follows me as well =) im on three bases and could change out 2 domes if i wanted to
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    BGE obviously builds the cost of warranty into the cost of the units, they are expensive because the warranty on new product is pretty good, in my mind at least 50% of the initial cost. In other words, a new egg that retails for $800 has a value of about $400 if purchased from an unauthorized dealer. 
    There are a lot of warranty returns noted here, but then again there are a lot of folks on this forum. Other kamados have decent warranties as well. Some like the ones sold at big box stores have a 90 day warranty and sell for just 10-20% less than an egg, what idiot would buy one of those?
    I bought a Vision for 200 bucks at Sams. Warranty is comparable to the egg. Just sayin'........
    difference being Vision honors warranty pretty much no matter where you buy it,,, BGE chooses not to. I was referring to the units sold at Lowe's Canada, Browning comes with a 90 day warranty. If you get a warranty and it is 20 years or so and the price is competitive buy it, IMO. 
    Primos come with a 20 year warranty and for Canucks, the border is pretty much non-existant, BGE, great as it is is much higher priced in Canada. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    BGE obviously builds the cost of warranty into the cost of the units, they are expensive because the warranty on new product is pretty good, in my mind at least 50% of the initial cost. In other words, a new egg that retails for $800 has a value of about $400 if purchased from an unauthorized dealer. 
    There are a lot of warranty returns noted here, but then again there are a lot of folks on this forum. Other kamados have decent warranties as well. Some like the ones sold at big box stores have a 90 day warranty and sell for just 10-20% less than an egg, what idiot would buy one of those?
    I bought a Vision for 200 bucks at Sams. Warranty is comparable to the egg. Just sayin'........
    difference being Vision honors warranty pretty much no matter where you buy it,,, BGE chooses not to. I was referring to the units sold at Lowe's Canada, Browning comes with a 90 day warranty. If you get a warranty and it is 20 years or so and the price is competitive buy it, IMO. 
    Primos come with a 20 year warranty and for Canucks, the border is pretty much non-existant, BGE, great as it is is much higher priced in Canada. 
    when i registered my mini kub vision i bought online, kub sent me an email saying they would not cover it, still it was a great deal at 129 delivered for the little kub and i have no complaints about it, i did have some choice words with customer service, the few bought just before mine were covered and they changed how they  warranteed their product with me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have had to replace my fire box once so far in a year at no cost to me because of a warranty.  I have a new plate setter siting at my dealer waiting for me to pick up, because my current one has a crack in it.  It hasn't broke yet, but will at some point.  I like that I sent a picture of it to them and they turned in a warranty claim for me.  I take it and not use it tell the other one brakes.  Now over the almost 20 years of owning a gas grill I put about $100 or more into about every 3 years or so out of my own pocket.  The BGE is saving me money so I like it.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Lit said:
    Man I just realized I have the crappiest luck ever based off this post. In 5 years I have had just about everything crack including 3 bases. I drive down to the mothership atleast once a year to swap out parts that have cracked over the year.
    If you cook pizza routinely you will push the integrity of the ceramics IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I wonder if there is a higher warranty claims % in more extreme climates such as Michigan or Montana - as opposed to California, Arizona, Florida?
    Phoenix 
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Ceramic is great...hinge mechanism and band setup could be better IMHO.
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    All I know is, since 2008 BGE has replace at no cost to me, 2 gaskets, 2 fire boxes and fire rings, a lower base and a lump grate.  The lifetime warranty is significant in my book. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    If I had to choose only one of my kamados (I own an Egg, Joe, Acorn, and Big Steel Keg), it would be the Keg.    Love them all though, except for the Acorn, which I just like.  
  • 4Runner said:

meaning lifetime?  that is the only way it would be comparable in my eyes.  If so, that is a nice deal.  
    Pretty much. Im no lawyer but hardware was several years and ceramics were lifetime. But i caught it at end of january. 

Little Rock, AR

• scmoose
    scmoose Posts: 164
    Wow, lot of cracked shells in here.
  • scmoose
    I also need to mention I will be cooking beer can burgers tomorow, and a but Sat night.  All on an egg that I just built a table for. 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    I'm one of those guys that has had my first egg since 2006 or so. I went 8yrs problem free then I decided to light from the bottom with a cube instead of my normal cube cut into 1/4son top of the lump. My base cracked exactly where I placed the cube  My dealer replaced no questions asked  I'm happy as hell with the service. Also looking for a smaller grill to accompany the large and small and you can bet it will be green.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited May 2015
    Sorry double posting 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    blasting said:
    I wonder if there is a higher warranty claims % in more extreme climates such as Michigan or Montana - as opposed to California, Arizona, Florida?

@blasting My eggs see some extreme temperatures. How it can go from -40 to cooking and back again is beyond me. Never had an issue. Knock on wood.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Gogogordy
    Gogogordy Posts: 460
    4Runner said:
    All I know is, since 2008 BGE has replace at no cost to me, 2 gaskets, 2 fire boxes and fire rings, a lower base and a lump grate.  The lifetime warranty is significant in my book. 
    Reminds me of the old adage: 

I had an axe once that lasted 35 years. All it had was 3 new heads and 4 new handles.

My point is, maybe the quality of the BGE isn't the compelling proposition here, the warranty is. That said, there are other kamados of similar construction, with similar weaknesses, and with similar warranties.  

The longevity/stability to-date of BGE as a company is it's major differentiating characteristic vs others. That doesnt mean (to me) that BGE is a better product product than others it just means its a company which has been around, and honorable to its customers longer than the "younger" companies which have entered the market more recently. (Think Toyota, Honda, and much more recently Kia etc...all once "unknowns" in the car industry but not now)

All this rhetoric about ceramics, etc is just white noise.
    When I'm not Eggin', I'm scootin'   Eggin' and 'cueing from Temecula Ca; an hour from San Diego, an hour and five minutes from Palm Springs, and an hour and a half from Los Angeles (yeah, right. With THAT traffic?)
  • Whirly
    Whirly Posts: 30
    It is wishful thinking to believe all ceramic grills have the same build quality. Most products produced today have varying quality of materials, which equals different lifespans and performance. BGE has been around a LOOONG time. I will place my trust in their lifetime warranty and experience. ..not someone else who has been around 5 years or less. Go green!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    odie91 said:
    If I had to choose only one of my kamados (I own an Egg, Joe, Acorn, and Big Steel Keg), it would be the Keg.    Love them all though, except for the Acorn, which I just like.  
    I'm trying to sell my Big Steel Keg on Craigslist.  I bought it used and haven't even tried using it.  Maybe I should take a look at it. :o
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Gogogordy said:
    4Runner said:
    Reminds me of the old adage: 

I had an axe once that lasted 35 years. All it had was 3 new heads and 4 new handles.

My point is, maybe the quality of the BGE isn't the compelling proposition here, the warranty is. That said, there are other kamados of similar construction, with similar weaknesses, and with similar warranties.  

The longevity/stability to-date of BGE as a company is it's major differentiating characteristic vs others. That doesnt mean (to me) that BGE is a better product product than others it just means its a company which has been around, and honorable to its customers longer than the "younger" companies which have entered the market more recently. (Think Toyota, Honda, and much more recently Kia etc...all once "unknowns" in the car industry but not now)

All this rhetoric about ceramics, etc is just white noise.
    Yep.  I think the nature of the ceramics and the ever changing extreme temps a grill must go through just inherently leads to issues.   In my experience, BGE has stood behind their product and warranty and there is real value in that.  This is the main reason I would most likely never but a used Egg because in the long run, it will end up costing more than picking up one at an Eggfeast.   I have no clue in quality difference in ceramics but I do know my Egg's ceramics will get replaced at no cost to me. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • scmoose
    Anyone know where they source thier CI grates from?