Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Drink of the summer and beer?

Options
robnybbq
robnybbq Posts: 1,911
I need a new drink this summer.

Last few have been crystal light iced tea/lemonade and Vodka.

Looking for a nice summer cocktail and also looking for a good beer to drink this summer.  I like the belgian and IPA's but they get heavy when the weather is hot.  Looking for something with flavor ant not just watered down "Light" beer.

Garnerville, NY

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Brooklyn Brewery has a nice Summer Ale. I'd look for a session beer which are typically light ales or lagers. Hefeweizens are nice too. Troegs Sunshine pils and Dreamweaver wheat(hefe) are great.
  • TylerA
    TylerA Posts: 85
    Options
    I love wheat beers in the summer.  I'm not much up for mixed drinks, but I think there is a beer for every occasion.
    LBGE
    Huffman, TX
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    moscow mules and get the cup, its better in the cup. real ginger beer, not ale, and good vodka. great summer drink. the lightest beer i drink is modelo negro and its only good with bbq food, not an all day drinker for me but it goes with pulled pork ribs, anything with bbq sauce
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Twisted Tea is good when it's hot outside. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    henapple said:
    Twisted Tea is good when it's hot outside. 
    i didnt mention those cause thats my morning drink, i dont know if rob drinks in the morning =)
    fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    i dont consider ipa too heavey in the summer but its loaded with hops and hops is a natural sedative and helps put you to sleep, makes an ipa a good choice before bedtime winter or summer
    fukahwee maine

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    edited May 2015
    Options
    At Costco, I saw a wheat beer with a pineapple twist called Mr Pineapple. I would have bought a 6 pack but didn't want to buy the whole case. I'm still interested in trying it. 
    McKinney, TX
  • omigosh
    omigosh Posts: 17
    Options
    I second the Moscow Mule.  Very refreshing drink for summer!

Irmo, SC  LBGE and MiniMax

• fishlessman
    Options
    room temp sandiman tawney port is nice at night in the summer with a good cigar. 2 fingers, no ice, bottle lasts a week after opening on the counter
    fukahwee maine

• Eggcelsior
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Kona Brewing Company does a wheat beer with Passion Fruit. It is very good if you don't mind a hint of sweetness.

EDIT: I just checked, and Wailua won't be available on the mainland this year.
  • TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    vodka+tonic+lime wedge. 
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Gin & tonic is one of my summer go tos.

I second the hefeweizen recommendation; Flying Dog's In Heat Wheat is my summer beer of choice.  Allagash White is easy to drink in the summer too.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Yuengling Light is good.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    edited May 2015
    Options
    My supermarket offers a bunch of microbrews/weirdos as single cans, and I often pick up one per trip just to try something new.
    I'm not into "fruit" beers but I saw this one, wondered what orange would taste like so I picked up a can:

Once I got my reading glasses on at home I realized it was grapefruit, not orange, but tried it anyway.  This may become my "after-mowing-the-lawn-on-a-hot-day" beer, very refreshing!  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Golden Russians. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Botch said:
    My supermarket offers a bunch of microbrews/weirdos as single cans, and I often pick up one per trip just to try something new.
    I'm not into "fruit" beers but I saw this one, wondered what orange would taste like so I picked up a can:

Once I got my reading glasses on at home I realized it was grapefruit, not orange, but tried it anyway.  This may become my "after-mowing-the-lawn-on-a-hot-day" beer, very refreshing!  
    Ballast Point Sculpin Grapefruit is excellent
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    Shiner Ruby Redbird (Grapefruit)
    Shiner Prickly Pear (Summer seasonal made with Prickly Pear Cactus Fruit)
    Abita Lemon Wheat
    St Arnold Summer Pils
    All southern beers, but could be available your way
    For a cocktail try a Brown Derby
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• Hokie_Smoker
    Hokie_Smoker Posts: 662
    Options
    Blanton's & 3 ice cubes.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Johnson, Navin R... Sounds like a typical bastard.

Belmont, NC

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Mai Tai's are a great drink and I am now a big fan of Corona when it's hot out. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Hendricks and fever tree tonic... Titos and tonic
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Options
    Lmidkiff said:
    At Costco, I saw a wheat beer with a pineapple twist called Mr Pineapple. I would have bought a 6 pack but didn't want to buy the whole case. I'm still interested in trying it. 
    Quick glance and I thought that said Henapple
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Year-round, Basil Hayden's or Knob Creek with a couple ice cubes.  Sweetwater 420 if beer.  That does say Henapple!  Or is it the bourbon...
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    It may be cliche but at my house we get pretty excited for Leinenkugel's Summer Shandy.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • Egghead_Daron
    Egghead_Daron Posts: 862
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Year-round, Basil Hayden's or Knob Creek with a couple ice cubes.  Sweetwater 420 if beer.  That does say Henapple!  Or is it the bourbon...
    I just saw that Sweetwater 420 on a menu this week and the waiter didn't know what it was so I didn't try it.
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    @Egghead_Daron, it's a great pale ale brewed in Atlanta, nice hops, not too heavy.  Pretty popular around here.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Wiseacre Helles Smoked Ale..not necessarily a summer beer but dammit it taste like pulled pork.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Options
    henapple said:
    Wiseacre Helles Smoked Ale..not necessarily a summer beer but dammit it taste like pulled pork.
    Love your Avitar..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Options
    @henapple I am not sure if I posted correctly.. But a great choice of Avitar Sir..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    robnybbq said:
    I need a new drink this summer.

Last few have been crystal light iced tea/lemonade and Vodka.

Looking for a nice summer cocktail and also looking for a good beer to drink this summer.  I like the belgian and IPA's but they get heavy when the weather is hot.  Looking for something with flavor ant not just watered down "Light" beer.

Your in Canada right? I find Muskoka Detour a nice session IPA not too high a ABV.Pilsner Urquell is also good. I even like the Rickards radler..nice and grape fruity and only 3.2abv. But homebrew is best right!
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options