Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken Thighs - what's your favorite way to cook?

Options
Wifey bought a package of chicken thighs.  Just looking for ideas on how to cook.  
Gregg
Large BGE Owner since December of 2013!
Marietta, GA

Comments

• CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    I just simply cook direct, raised at 375.  20 mins a side.  I throw some chunks of hickory wood for smoke.
    Los Angeles, CA
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    Ive been doing Meat Church Honey Hog Hot and smoking them for about 40 mins indirect then getting up to 400 or so and going direct raised until crisped. Sauce or no sauce.   We go boneless and skinless. Also good marinated in mojo and used in tacos or burrito bowls. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Let uncovered in the fridge overnight (dust with a little cornstarch to crisp the skin). Oil or mustard and your favorite rub, lately it's been just salt & pepper here. Raised direct 325 - 350 to IT of 165. Add your favorite sauce. Our new favorite for poultry is an Alabama White Sauce. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/chicken_turkey_duck/big_bob_gibsons_white_sauce.html 

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Light coat of olive oil. Favourite rub. 400° raised indirect until 185° internal. No flip. 
    GWN
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Boneless, stuffed with artichoke, spinach and mozzarella cheese, wrapped in bacon. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    Thighs are incredible and don't last long in my fridge.

I brine them the day before, at least 3 hours. Basic sugar and salt brine.

Pour out the brine, and cover them in teriyaki sauce overnight. By the time they hit the raised direct grill, they'll already be mahogany colored.

I hit the tops with Sweet Baby Rays at 130f, flip at 150f and sauce the other side. Pull at 165f.

Salt and pepper - they'll likely come up another few degrees, won't hurt them since they're all plumped up from the brine.

Meat coma at my house when I cook thighs.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    Options
    My wife buys the boneless skinless thighs.  Butt rub on one side and Montreal steak on the other.  375-400* and they are done in about 5-6 minutes.  Mmmmm.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    edited May 2015
    Options

You may have to scroll down on this one, but @sgh shared a great chicken thigh idea on my post the other day.   I want to try these soon, with my own variations of course :) 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1181335/my-husband-put-me-up-to-this#latest

• SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Options
    I buy 40 lb. boxes of boneless skinless thighs. Cheap! They are a regular on the weekday cooks and for guests. Sometimes marinated overnight most times just rub du jour. Raised direct 350 - 400F until IT 160 - 180F. Simple! Loved!
  • TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've been marinating mine in Kikkoman Teriyaki and putting them on at 325ish for 40-50 minutes. Really good. I also like marinating them and basting with Wickers.

I love chicken thighs. So cheap and good.
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Couple of favorites here...

Marinated in Goya Mojo Criollo for a few hours, then raised direct at 400° with cherry wood for smoke.

Or my newest favorite, Jerk seasoning (Walkerswood or Grace) for a couple of hours, raised direct, 400°, white oak...

Good stuff!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    Dizzy dust 4 hours before cooking.  Uncovered in fridge to dry off.  Raised direct 375. It will take a good 45 minutes with one turn to get to 170 internal. 

Delicious. My favorite chicken. 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    I got this either here or the original forum, posted by "Bear 007," and my wife and I love it:

Grilled Lemon Tarragon Chicken Thighs

2 lb. Chicken Thighs 
    1/3 cup Lemon Juice 
    2 tbsp. Soy Sauce 
    1 tsp. Smoked Paprika 
    1 tbsp. Tarragon 
    2 tbsp. Garlic minced 
    1 tbsp. salt Kosher 

Directions:
    Skin and Bone the Chicken Thighs.
    Marinate 30 min.
    Grill direct, 400 dome, to 165-170 internal.

Theo
  • scotts94_z28
    Options
    Marinade overnight in Chiavetta's and grill raised direct.
  • jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    Skinless, boneless, Thai BBQ chicken grilled direct at 350-400

Marinade is_
    1 cup of cilantro leaves (I just break off the stems and through the rest in the food processor)
    2 tbl of brown sugar
    2 tbl of garlic
    2 tbl of fresh ginger
    1 tbl of whole black peppercorns ground
    Turn on food processor and then drizzle in peanut oil until pesto consistency
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options

So many favorites, we eat a lot of thighs in this house. Love the thread as it has given me a ton of ideas.

If I had to pick one way it would be to season with DP Pineapple Head and Tony Cacherie and put in fridge for a few hours to get happy. Then grill direct, basting with Lexington NC 'dip' (vinegar based bbq sauce) in the last few minutes

XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Brother Doofus, I never was a fan of thighs. However these are actually a mind changer. First I debone and skin them. Then I stuff them with whatever hits me at the moment. Usually jalapeños, cream cheese, jibbled up bacon, spinach or a combination of all. Followed by a dusting of salt, pepper and a hearty dose of cayenne. Them wrap with bacon just for good measure. I like to cook these at 375 degrees indirect until a internal of 160 degrees. I know that's 20 degrees lower than the recommended FDA recommended temp, but remember they are deboned and stuffed. You are temping the stuffing, not the meat. They turn out pretty dog gone good my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    @SGH those look awesome!  You win!
    Clinton, Iowa
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Langner91 said:
    @SGH those look awesome!  You win!
    Thank you brother. I honestly don't care for thighs to much. However stuffing them really makes them a treat. Give it a try sometime and see what you think. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I keep it simple with Yardbird as the rub.  Everyone loves it.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.