Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini cookin

Options
Clay Q
Clay Q Posts: 4,486
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
BGELakeTrout001.jpg
<p />We had an outrageous dinner tonight, cookin on the mini. Bought fresh Lake Superior lake trout, fired up the mini to 375 and grilled for 15 minutes to perfection. First I lightly brushed the filet with Silver Spring Beer'n Brat Horseradish Mustard then I dusted with Penzeys Smoked Spanish Paprika followed by salt and pepper. BAM! Baked potato and a garden salad on the side (homemade dressing and chunks of 5 year old cheddar added) and DianeQ had opened a 1997 Napa Ridge chardonnay to sip. What a way to start the weekend!
Never underestimate the mini, it does good work.
Clay

Comments

• Chubby
    Chubby Posts: 2,955
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Maaaaan...I love that Smoked Paprika!![p]That's a good get.[p]Evans
    I spent most of my money on good bourbon, and bad women...the rest, I just wasted!!
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    Clay,

Why do you have washers on your grate? Is it for some sort of indirect cooking device?
  • HolySmokes
    HolySmokes Posts: 446
    Options
    ClayQ,
    either those are some really fine trout or the mini is
    smaller than I imagined! They look great.[p]Horseradish, mustard and paprika (and s/p) sounds like a great combination.
    I would think the flavor was mostly horseradish/mustard, unless the commercial
    ones you're using are really mild...
    it was trout, after all... and no butter?
    HS

• Clay Q
    Options
    Chubby,
    Mmmmm mmmmm, yes sir.

• locolongball
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Man, that looks great!
  • Tujax
    Tujax Posts: 20
    Options
    ClayQ,
    Ahh yes a fine Friday meal.....couldn't resist since there has been alot of talk about the friday fish thing.
    looks yummy...I had Salmon on cedar with Asparagrass(sp?) and shallots, shrooms soaked in butter.

• Bluegillman
    Options
    ClayQ,
    ""Bought fresh Lake Superior lake trout""
    Where can I ask?

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]I haven't had ant trout in a quite a while. My boy has been asking. Maybe I should start him cooking trout. ya ya thats it. [p]What are those machine screws and washers for? Flip the grate to elevate?[p]E

• Clay Q
    Options
    Bluegillman,
    I was surprised to see the lake trout at my local market in Appleton, but I jumped at the chance. Said that their giving it a try to break up the monotony of the usual fresh fish display. I know what fresh lake trout taste like- I fish for'em and I also buy direct from the commercial fishermen,..... and I got to say this trout I grilled surpassed my expatiations! Anyhow...most fresh lake trout from Lake Superior goes to restaurants first so it's rare to see it on the open market. I love it, not anything like river spawning trout. Lake trout get big- I caught a 16 pounder two years ago off the Apostle Islands fishing the "flats" in 130 feet of deep, cold water. Waaaahooooo![p]Ask around, see if your market can special order. Good luck!
    Clay

• Clay Q
    Options
    Eggecutioner,
    Hey bud! Its for a raised grid setup when it sits on my mini platesetter. Stainless washers, flathead screws and nuts. Sits high enough to use a small aluminum drip pan on the platesetter. This is a cool setup.
    Clay

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]OK... I have to ask, what is a mini platesetter? Is this something that I have no information on? do tell... pleaseeeeeee......LOL[p]
  • Eggecutioner
    Options
    ClayQ,[p]Hey when I was a 15 year old kid I caught a 32# laker while bouncing the cannon balls off the bottom of Lake Michigan. Probably due East of Appleton on the other side of the lake in Frankfort, Michigan. That is about the time I was learning knife skills for filleting fish and cooking them. You know... I think I need a boat...LOL.[p]E
  • Rollocks
    Rollocks Posts: 570
    Options
    ClayQ wrote:
    Eggecutioner,
    Hey bud! Its for a raised grid setup when it sits on my mini platesetter. Stainless washers, flathead screws and nuts. Sits high enough to use a small aluminum drip pan on the platesetter. This is a cool setup.
    Clay

Clay,

I've been debating buying a mini or a small. Do you think you could post a picture of your setup. Also is it something you purchased or made yourself. I currently have an XL egg so I'm basically looking to get something that is portable.

Rollocks