Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sweet tea jelly.

Options
hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
Anyone ever tried to make it?

Recipe?

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    hondabbq said:

No sir. But I have drank many thousands of gallons of sweet tea. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hondabbq
    edited May 2015
    Options
    SGH said:
    hondabbq said:

I'm with ya there even living up her in the Great White North. 

I tried one one recipe I found but it didn't set. 

Anyone have a non fruit jelly recipe?
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Is there such a thing? I would think that since there is no fruit/vegetable and therefore no natural pectin, it would be very hard to make it set.
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    SGH said:
    hondabbq said:

I'm with ya there even living up her in the Great White North. 

I tried one one recipe I found but it didn't set. 

Anyone have a non fruit jelly recipe?
    What recipe did you try?

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Is there such a thing? 
    I actually do not know. I have never seen or heard of it but that certainly doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. I hope someone has a recipe as I would love to try it. Sweet tea is actually one of my favorites.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• hondabbq
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Is there such a thing? I would think that since there is no fruit/vegetable and therefore no natural pectin, it would be very hard to make it set.
    I just add pectin from the grocery store

The recipe I tried had no acid in it. From what I read after about trying to fix a runny jelly is that it is a delicate balance between acid sugar and pectin. If any one is off, the end product will not be satisfactory. 

Also so I was amazed at the ratios for sugar in the recipes I read, even for the fruit ones. I purposely cut the sugar back to 5 cups from 6 so that may have been my error, plus the lack of an acid. 

I will get this right. I just have to go and get some more pectin. I have 35 lbs of butts on right now so don't want to leave the house for too long. 

I will get this to work. 

• hondabbq
    Options
    Well I have another batch going with a few adjustments. We will know of success or failure in a few hours once it's cooled. 
  • hondabbq
    Options
    It's looking good. I put 1 tbsp on a plate and it set up. Tasted super good too. Can't wait to have some on toast. I'm not counting my chickens before they hatch though. 
  • BigGreenBamaGriller
    Options
    Interested to hear what the final verdict is. You may be onto something here
    Killen, AL (The Shoals)
    XL, Small, Minimax, and Mini BGEs
  • Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    I think adjusting the ratios of sugar to thickener are bound to result in less than satisfactory results. if you want less sugar, eat less of the jelly.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • hondabbq
    Options
    Well it's morning and first thing I did was check the jelly. On a positive note, it's not syrupy. On the other side of that, it's not fully set like a true jelly. I don't know if it will set further as I have read it can take up to 2 weeks. My moms jellies set pretty much over night but those all contain fruit as well. 

We we are closer. I think I will just need to add a bit more pectin. 
  • hondabbq
    Options
    On another note. It tastes great on toast. 
  • hondabbq
    Options
    The last batch above never did set up any more that the day I posted. 

Just jarred up another run. I hope this one works. 

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Good luck. If you figure out you could be on to something big.....
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season.