Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Married men on here, does your wife support or (roll their eyes) regarding your addiction?

Options

Comments

• nysportsfan
    nysportsfan Posts: 241
    Options
    Mine is more than supportive. She pushed me to get another egg, loves the food, and always asks, "Can we make this on the egg?"
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Supports it!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• chadpsualum
    chadpsualum Posts: 409
    Options
    I've been waiting for awhile to get my BGE and being someone who usually just goes out and gets something I want...my wife understands that I really wanted it.  As a result she's good with it for the most part.  As with any new 'toy' you obsess over it and I think she's sensing that now.  I haven't tipped her off about this forum yet.  I might get a weird look if I tell her that I participate in a forum that largely talks about cooking meat.
    North Pittsburgh, PA
    1 LGE
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Wilma enjoys that I handle the weekend meals.  She cooks indoors during the week.  She's willing to go to Tennessee to @henapple 's Tennessee Egg Party next month so that's pretty supportive.  
    Flint, Michigan
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    My wife is behind it all.  She loves to eat BBQ more than I do and if she says the brisket is on point...I don't even taste it and just keep serving.  It is awesome having someone who will be honest with you no matter what.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    Wilma enjoys that I handle the weekend meals.  She cooks indoors during the week.  She's willing to go to Tennessee to @henapple 's Tennessee Egg Party next month so that's pretty supportive.  

@Fred19Flintstone.
    There are a lot of other words that might fit better there than "supportive".
    Has she had a scan of her head?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    Foghorn said:

@Fred19Flintstone.
    There are a lot of other words that might fit better there than "supportive".
    Has she had a scan of her head?
    She's had plenty of head scans because she gets migraines, but they always show nothing.  Hehehe
    Flint, Michigan
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    On a serious note, my wife is cool with it all.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,835
    Options
    @henapple is not exactly the cure for a migraine.  Many people notice that they have severe headaches the day after they meet him.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Mine's pretty mixed.  If I was just buying a BGE she probably would be fine with it.  But I've owned probably 15 different grills in the last 10 years.  All Webers before the egg.  I've got it whittled down to the egg, 1 Genesis S320, 1 Performer and 1 22.5" WSM.  I'll probably end up getting ride of at least 1 of those in the next few months depending on how I'm progressing with the egg.  She'll be a lot happier if I stop buying grills in the future.  Hopefully that's where the egg comes in.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Mine is very supportive but is not afraid to tell me when one of my meals is not up to par.    Aside from myself she is my toughest, albeit my only, critic.  I prefer it this way, though. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Mine loves the food but I need to throw some fish or  a pork tenderloin once in a while to take a break from the "rich" meats a la butt and ribs, etc. 

The eye rolls are involuntary to the female persuasion. It just happens. They have no control over it. It just happens more often than not when we say or do something stupid. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Mine loves the food but I need to throw some fish or  a pork tenderloin once in a while to take a break from the "rich" meats a la butt and ribs, etc. 

I do the same thing.  I will occasionally purchase fresh halibut and  salmon, and this earns me a lot of favor with the Mrs.
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• bbqlearner
    bbqlearner Posts: 760
    Options
    Very supportive for me. She loves the food I "cranked out" every time.

Houston, TX - Buddy LBGE, Don SBGE, Tiny Mini & Shiny Momma Pitts n Spitts

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    As a die hard single guy, I opened this thread expecting read about negative wives and hen pecked husbands.  However, it sounds like the vast majority have ended up with some really great women.  Congrats
    Phoenix 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    My wife loves it. She is vegan and I cook her veggies all the time. I am attempting a vegan Mac and cheese for Memorial Day so she has more than veggies to eat. I have been roasting heads of cauliflower for her and after the first one she said I can buy whatever other smoker I want.
  • bo31210
    bo31210 Posts: 715
    Options
    Reminds me, SWMBO went to Eggtoberfest last year with me and suggested that we upgrade the medium to a large.  Who was I to disagree
    In the middle of Georgia!    Geaux Tigers!!!!!
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    Both.  Supportive of my hobby which benefits everyone. Rolls eyes whenever a brown box shows up (Joe jr, CGS AR, rubs/sauces...etc) and when I talk about adding any new equipment (black stone pizza oven, black stone griddle, offset smoker, pellet smoker...etc). 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    My egg was a birthday, Christmas, anniversary... gift from my wife (almost 3 years ago). She is very supportive and understands how much I enjoy it. She and the boys like almost everything everything that comes off the egg. She's not exactly crazy about me taking over the deck box (tools, CI, pizza stones, peel, extra grids, smoking wood), most of the spice cabinet (spices, rubs) and half of a jelly cabinet (sauces, spice and rub overflow, HDAF etc.)

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,948
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Bought me the LBGE for my 40th, loves the food that comes off it, encouraged me to buy a MiniMax in ABQ, let me take a weekend to go to Salado, wants to go to Eggtoberfest, thinks Brisket Camp sounds like fun.  

In other words, my wife is an amazing person, and I'm not letting most of you come within 40 ft of her.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

In other words, my wife is an amazing person, and I'm not letting most of you come within 40 ft of her.  

@JohnInCarolina there's a reason you're a professor at Duke and the rest if us aren't. I'm pretty sure that is reflected in part of the above. I'll let everyone decide which part. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    No problem here. I have an Italian wife. 
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    Options
    My Italian wife is more than supportive.  She initiated the purchase of all our Eggs.  Cooks better steaks than I on it.  Been to all the Dickson's Eggfests in Toronto-Cooked at last year's.  I'm trying to have her banned from the onsite store at this year's fest.  It's my other 2 addictions she frowns on from time to time.  

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    Options
    My wife prompted me to buy our first egg 6 years ago.  We've cooked at eggfests multiple times.
    canuckland
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    My wife talked me into my first egg. She tried to get me to buy one for years before I finally did. She has never tried to talk me out of anything egg related. 

She did tell me to slow down on buying rub because she ran out of storage space. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options
    BRush00 said:
    Totally supports the egg habbit, and she's even trying to get me to buy a mini-max
    Your wife is a unicorn wife.  Don't lose her.  I'm envious.

Thanks - she's a superstar for SO many reasons including but not limited to Egging, and I'm doing my best to hold onto her.

Although, from the sounds of it, lots of supportive wives on here.
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • raginrapids
    raginrapids Posts: 19
    Options
    Just got my egg 3 weeks ago.  So far my wife has been great....I think she is glad I can just cook on it instead of talk about it :)
    Nashville, TN
  • Jaime
    Jaime Posts: 87
    Options
    I am the wife in this relationship, with swrdsmn, and I'm hoping we get another later this year, so guess I'm supportive.
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options
    My Wife bought me my Egg and table for Christmas.. She is cool with the whole cooking, forum thing...We did have to put an extra fridge/freezer in the garage.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
      It's my other 2 addictions she frowns on from time to time.  
    Right there with you on that one.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow