Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Let's hear your steak cooking method

Options
nth78
nth78 Posts: 154
ok I have tried to cook New York strips on the egg and both times they look amazing but have been dry and overlooked.  I think it's because I don't have a raised grid and the meat is too close to the fire.  This seems like the egg's one real design flaw.  Even the crappy Akorn has the grid at the gasket level.  So how do you guys do you steaks?  Platesetter or direct?   Reverse seat?  I'm open to suggestions.  We like our stakes medium to medium well

Comments

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    I don't think grid level is the problem. Even with choice/CAB I get solid results. If you have a thick cut, try reverse sear. If not too thick, try 400-450 direct or caveman. Flip often or shut the lid, you can still get good results. Do you have some sort of digital instant read thermometer?
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • nth78
    nth78 Posts: 154
    Options
    I have a cheap Mr. BBQ digital fork thermometer 
  • beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    For me I like to go sear at 700 I season about 35 45 minutes before leave out on counter put just a bit of oil each side season how you like for medium rare I go 2 minutes per side for medium I would go 230 per side then close down egg let sit another minute on egg then plate let rest 10 minutes under foil. I have never had dry steak with that method just my thought
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I cook steaks multiple ways. It depends on the type of steak, thickness, marbeling and more importantly my mood. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Caveman is nice change up.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited May 2015
    Options
    CI pan, reverse sear, T-Rex, Caveman, blah blah blah
    My favorite is still APL method with a herb basting brush in a CI pan and a nice finish in a board sauce. It's real hard to beat.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • mrw123
    mrw123 Posts: 202
    Options
    I start with a steak at least two inches thick. Salt and pepper. Cook at 250 until internal temp is 120. Then allow steak to cool. If more than an hour, put it in the fridge. It's best to stand the steak on its side if possible so both sides dry as completely as possible. You will get a much better sear if it's allowed to dry. Then, get a cast iron skillet as hot as possible and sear both sides for about two minutes each. This has worked great for me. Good luck! 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I am a huge proponent of the reverse sear.  A while back I made a post that asked "What's your kryptonite?" because I normally overcooked steaks.  I got a lot of advice to go Reverse.  

Complete game changer!  I typically roast somewhere around 275-300, and depending on thickness, I'll start probing for temp after about 30 min.  We tend do buy packs of sirloins, because they are lean, tender and affordable. 

I take the steaks off at 120, remove the adjustable rig, crank it up and sear each side for about a minute. I've done both cast iron and grate searing. Both are good.  I take it off and it's normally right around 128-130.  The carryover brings it up to 135, which is dead nuts.  

Its easier to shack your temps at lower speeds. Plus it provides an even color throughout.  I will never cook a steak a different way. I used to have about a 20% success rate. Now it's easily 90-95% on the mark.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options

like @saltysam reverse sear is the way to go. My new plan of attack is going to be to get the steaks to 115 on the Lbge and have mr max screaming hot for the sears. love steaks

St. Johns County, Florida
  • smokinflag
    smokinflag Posts: 5
    Options

I start with quality, well marbled steaks.  I've only cooked NY strip or ribeyes.  Salt and pepper and bring to room temperature prior to grilling.  Direct at ~500 for a couple minutes per side on CI grate.  Steaks come out rare to medium rare and juicy.  Simple method, but high success rate.

Foil and CI skillet sound interesting but I've never tried them.  It seems that reverse sear may work best for medium/medium well to avoid drying 'em out. 

• MaC122
    MaC122 Posts: 797
    Options
    @smokinflag I started cutting off that fat on the new York strip. It never renders and it I don't like it. Is there anyone else who cuts that fat off?
    St. Johns County, Florida
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    Last two times I cooked direct at 650-700 flipping every 45-60 seconds.  Like my steaks on the bloody side so didn't take long.  Trick is to consistently flip and check the feel often.  I only probed when I thought they were close.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    It also depends on the meat. I have had some really good strips, but I have had some lean and tough ones.  Strips can be a lean cut.  I have also found the fat cap is hard fat that doesn't render. You have to find one with good marbeling in the meat.   The easiest way is to get rib eye instead.  =)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Rosco902
    Rosco902 Posts: 26
    Options
    Pretty new at this as we've only had our egg for a few weeks, but reverse sear imo is awesome. Hard to do it wrong really and great results. 
    NS Canada
  • ChokeOnSmoke
    ChokeOnSmoke Posts: 1,942
    Options
    Honestly, I don't think it matters HOW you cook it, the key is to pull the steak off when it's the perfect internal temperature for you.  Having a good digital thermometer is critical. I cook steaks all different ways but as long as I pull em at 120° and let rest a few minutes, they're always good. 
    Packerland, Wisconsin

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Thick steak, 2" plus reverse sear, 'nuff said.

I have started finishing in a CI pan with butter, roasted garlic, rosemary, and thyme.  You just have to pull sooner and let it last longer in the CI pan.  Keep an eye on it to keep the butter from burning.
    Dang, I need to go hunt down a 2" porterhouse for lunch.

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    CI pan, reverse sear, T-Rex, Caveman, blah blah blah
    My favorite is still APL method with a herb basting brush in a CI pan and a nice finish in a board sauce. It's real hard to beat.
    @NPHuskerFL Blake, what is the APL method?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    first, there are lots of posts here on how to raise the grid from simple inexpensive diy to more expensive online options....find a raised grid option. second, the strip is way better cooked rare to med/rare, by the time it hits medium its getting tough and med/well its toast so timing is critical with internal temps on this cut, you need a good temp gage like the thermapen. if you want that cut cooked like that i would probably watertub it for two hours, cook at 650 til 130 max, rest on a warm plate for 20 to 30 minutes under foil and make sure its no thicker than 1.25 inches. or better yet a ribeye cooked the same way, its more forgiving to overcooking =) i shoot to pull the strip off at 123 internal and a ribeye at 127 and those 4 degrees make a big difference for the strips tenderness, but i like med/rare. if your cooking two, take one to 130 and another to 135 and compare and take note
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @thetrim Adam Perry Lang 

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    Lots of good comments in this thread. I'm starting to believe reverse sear is the way to go. However, roasting until 120° may be a little overdone for our tastes. We like steak rare so I'm thinking I'd pull it once it reached 115°. Let it rest while I get my CI skillet up to temp and then sear it on both sides so we serve it after a rest between 120°-125°.

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    For thinner cuts I go hot and fast down low and flip and flip until done to our likeness.   Reverse sear for all other thick cuts. 
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • scottandrew10
    Options
    I've done reverse sears a few times but here recently i've been hot tubbing my ribeyes. Pot of 115 degree water for 1 hour (no change out of water). I actually fill the ziploc bag with a can of sprite/7up and a dash of garlic salt and tony chachere's seasoning.

while in the pot get the egg started with about 20 min to go and get it to 600. Pat the steaks dry and then sear for 60-90 seconds both sides.

Works great for me.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I cook steaks multiple ways. It depends on the type of steak, thickness, marbeling and more importantly my mood. 
    This in spades^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmokyBear
    SmokyBear Posts: 389
    Options
    What's the minimum thickness (2''?  1 1/2''?) for doing Reverse Sear "right"?

I've tried Strips and Ribeye both at 1 1/2'' and had mixed success - but we like our steaks true medium (which to us is a 'little' pink) and that may be drying the steaks out.

I usually need to cook to 140 internal then on blazing hot CI skillet for 1 min per side.  Takes it to about 145 finished temp after rest, which on some occasions is still too pink for wife.  (I've done 250-300 to 135 before first pull and that's too pink for wife).

Not sure how you guys are doing low teens and 120s when pulling before CI..
    Mini BGE, KJ Classic - Black, Cookshack SM025, Weber Gasser (mostly for Kamado storage!)
  • Goose4u
    Goose4u Posts: 22
    Options
    I like reverse seat as well but do this most of the time since it's easier 

get the egg direct to 700F+

throw ow on the daisy wheel and reduce to 550-600F. It knocks down the high flames

2 min a side at 600 over the rolling coals

put on the green cover and shut the bottom vent after the 2 min on the second side. You'll have to judge time from here based on the steak thickness. I like mine rare and thick steaks. Normally keep on the egg 4-6 minutes with it closed
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    4Runner said:
    For thinner cuts I go hot and fast down low and flip and flip until done to our likeness.   Reverse sear for all other thick cuts. 
    +1 for this combo.  Thin cuts, don't be afraid to flip a lot.  Hot fire, flip every 45-60 seconds or so until done.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD