Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any Dave Matthews Band fans around here?

Options
Chicklet
Chicklet Posts: 205
Just curious since the summer tour is underway.  I am headed to Atlanta next weekend and thought it might be fun to meet some Eggers tailgating or something.  

No sure if I will have time to go to HQ but I may try.  
Eat, drink and be merry

Huntsville, AL ~ LBGE noob

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Big time DMB fan here.  Great live shows...been to many.  Enjoy!  
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Here. They're on my short list of must see shows. Can't make it next weekend though. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    He's on the forum. I don't know if he's the real one or not but then I'm not Steven Van Zant either. Or mebbe I am

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Chicklet
    Options
    MJG said:
    I've actually been to over 50 myself.  I'm going to see them in Atlanta with The Man and then taking my 15 year old daughter to see them in Tuscaloosa a few days later.  Super excited for the Tuscaloosa show because Emmy Lou Harris will be the special guest.  I saw her with the band many years ago in Nashville and was lucky enough to have about 5-6th row seats that year.  It was amazing!!!  

Eat, drink and be merry

• Smokehouse33
    Smokehouse33 Posts: 185
    Options
    Huge Fan down here in Miami!
  • mgd_egg
    mgd_egg Posts: 476
    Options
    I'm a fan and have been to a ton of shows. I'm going to try to catch them in the Chicago area. I wish I was closer to ATL to hook up with you guys. 
    Lg & MM BGE, Humphrey’s Battle Box | Palatine, Illinois  
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    Chicklet said:
    MJG said:
    I've actually been to over 50 myself.  I'm going to see them in Atlanta with The Man and then taking my 15 year old daughter to see them in Tuscaloosa a few days later.  Super excited for the Tuscaloosa show because Emmy Lou Harris will be the special guest.  I saw her with the band many years ago in Nashville and was lucky enough to have about 5-6th row seats that year.  It was amazing!!!  

@Chicklet Damn!  I'm jealous of your 50 mark.  I'm hitting my 4th show next month in St. Paul
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Fan here too, although I haven't seen them since LeRoy passed.   :|

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,616
    Options
    Just saw them last week in Austin for the first time.  Great show, acoustic first set, electric second set. The sound was great.
  • Smokinpig
    Smokinpig Posts: 739
    Options
    I am a fan. I used to go see him at the flood zone in Richmond in 1992-3. It was an audience of less than 500 people I would guess.  Fun to watch the band blow up over the years. 

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Yes. Like DMB. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    edited May 2015
    Options
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I've seen him before.  Puts on a good show.  I think I'll play some now.  Thank you.
    Options
    Fan, going to see him again this year when he comes to Cleveland. 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    FYI I've been watching TDMB via YouTube since you posted this thread. One of my likes is the sheer and obvious musicology he possesses. The variations in instrumentation and it's permeates through the music. I love the use of the horns, woodwinds and upright bass it speaks volumes IMHO.  Then again I have a love affair for jazz. TDMB is in fact not jazz but, I assure you he has it in his roots.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jimithing
    jimithing Posts: 254
    Options
    Who's Dave Matthews?
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • WeberWho
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Chicklet Do you collect any of the limited edition poster art for each of his shows?  I have 2 of the 3 shows posters that I've been to. They didn't have one available at the Alpine Valley show in 2003.  Will be going early next month to get the poster at his show.  Cool posters for each venue.  They are getting expensive though.  $50 a pop.  Ouch

http://www.daveposters.com
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • XLBalco
    XLBalco Posts: 607
    Options
    I will never go to alpine again to see dmb.... seen him a few times and it was terrible there the one time we saw him there... I aint that old but geez it was an obnoxious teenage crowd
  • jimithing
    Options
    BTW, I'm obviously a fan.  Back in the day before high speed internet I used to trade live audience tapings of their shows.  Need to pull some of those shows back out.  Those ones from the mid to late 90's were the best IMO.  You can hear the raw emotion in his voice back then that he just doesn't have now.  Still love him - he's just gotten fat and happy.  Misery just makes better music.

Stopped counting how many shows I've been to.  Before the wife and I had a kid we used to travel the country to see them play.  Got to see a good show and different cities.  Saw him at the Gorge, San Francisco, NYC, etc.  One of the times we saw they in NYC was a winter mini tour and James Brown got up on stage with him.  Very memorable night.

Anyways, they just came through Dallas and I didn't go.  Partially b/c I didn't want to have to find a sitter and partially b/c of the douche bags that show up at Dallas concerts.  Looked like a good setlist though.  I'll have to download the torrent and give it a listen.  As much as I love them I wish they'd play some smaller, more intimate venues.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • WeberWho
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @XLBalco  With it being so close to Chicago and Milwaukee it probably draws in a bunch of younger crowds.  Plus a large percentage camp before and after the shows.  Not too many older people willing to take a weekend and camp for a concert.  The tailgating is crazy.  Just a big open field.  Plus DMB only plays every 3 years or so in Minnesota.  So Alpine is one of the next closest stops for us.  

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Anyone been to Red Rock to see them play?  If I had a bucket list that would be one of them.   I also wish I could hear Halloween live..... maybe one day

Minnesota
  • jimithing
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    Anyone been to Red Rock to see them play?  If I had a bucket list that would be one of them.   I also wish I could hear Halloween live..... maybe one day
    They haven't played there since 2008.  I think it's too small for them to play it regularly at this point.  Only holds about 10,000.  Definitely would love to see them there some time. I did get to see Halloween live at that MSG show in 2002.  Very good stuff.
    XL BGE
    Plano, TX
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Red Rocks 2006 was the  last time I saw him, and his fantastic band. One of the better shows that I've seen. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Chicklet said:
    MJG said:

He was dating my wife's roommate in college and lived on her couch for a while.  Really nice guy on top of being a talented musician.
    We saw the Avett Brothers here in Atlanta a few months back with Emmy Lou Harris......she's a legend.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Chicklet
    Options
    WeberWho? said:
    @Chicklet Do you collect any of the limited edition poster art for each of his shows?  I have 2 of the 3 shows posters that I've been to. They didn't have one available at the Alpine Valley show in 2003.  Will be going early next month to get the poster at his show.  Cool posters for each venue.  They are getting expensive though.  $50 a pop.  Ouch

http://www.daveposters.com
    I have a few posters.  I got smart and bought the one from Piedmont Park.  Had it all framed up with my ticket, etc.  It is really great looking.  I'll try to post a pic of it later.  

I will probably pick up a poster or two for this tour if they are decent.  
    Eat, drink and be merry

• Chicklet
    Options
    @GATraveller I saw and met the Avett Brothers a few years ago when they opened for DMB in Atlanta.  I actually drove them to the Starbucks up the street from our hotel.  We chatted with them for a bit and they commented to us from the stage that night at the show where we got about 10th row center seats.  Gotta say, that was pretty unforgettable.  

Eat, drink and be merry

• ibanda
    ibanda Posts: 553
    Options
    In 1993 or thereabouts I went with a friend to go see Big Head Todd and the Monsters in Dallas at Deep Ellum Live, capacity about 500 and it was not full that night. There is no seating there, and the first 3 rows were stacked but it was easy to slip up to the stage if you wanted to be on the first row. 

Big Head Todd finished up, and I asked my friend if he wanted to stay, we had never heard of the next band. The next band played a few songs, and I was having a great time and rocking along. Then they played a song I knew, All Along the Watchtower, of course written by Bob Dylan and made more famous by Hendrix. My jaw completely hit the floor, I could not believe how good this Dave Mathews guy was! A few years later he sold out Texas Stadium (45,000 tix) 3 nights in a row, and I couldn't make myself go. I haven't seen him live since, it is the one time I got to see a legend with about 300 people. 
    "Bacon tastes gooood, pork chops taste gooood." - Vincent Vega, Pulp Fiction
    Small and Large BGE in Oklahoma City.
  • sodigthisbigcrux
    Options
    FYI I've been watching TDMB via YouTube since you posted this thread. One of my likes is the sheer and obvious musicology he possesses. The variations in instrumentation and it's permeates through the music. I love the use of the horns, woodwinds and upright bass it speaks volumes IMHO.  Then again I have a love affair for jazz. TDMB is in fact not jazz but, I assure you he has it in his roots.
    Yes, TDMB is no where near Jazz, but his Sax player, Jeff Coffin, is a very legit Jazz player.  If you haven't already, check out Jeff's Mu'Tet recordings. They feature some great players including Felix Pastorious (Jaco's son), who is a monster in his right.

Personally, I can't get in to TDMB myself...
    Battle Ground, WA
    Large BGE,  MiniMax  and a Vision Kub.
    Could you call on Lady Day, could you call on John Coltrane?
  • Hi54putty
    Hi54putty Posts: 1,873
    Options
    I have seen him a number of times including a few times in Boone, NC in 94 when no one really knew who he was. Every time has been great but my favorite period was at the very beginning of his tour with Tim Reynolds. That show was fantastic. Seemed very unscripted and they were totally into it. 
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC