Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tell me about the Joe Jr.

Options
I have a L BGE, looking for something like the MiniMax to go with it, for you guys/girls that have the Joe Jr. do you like it, anything you don't like? Thanks.
Birmingham, AL

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Just buy a mini. You won't regret it
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • stonewh
    stonewh Posts: 169
    Options
    Well I have a buddy that sells them and he said he can get me the Joe Jr for $400 and will even throw in a 44 lb bag of lump. I just want the opinion of someone that has both a BGE and a Kamado Joe, if they are in fact really similar or if you can see major differences. 
    Birmingham, AL
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    Options
    Have both Joe Jr and Large Egg - both are great. go look at a minimax and joe jr and decide.
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    I like my Joe Jr, even though it doesn't have the screen door on the bottom vent.  That can be a deal breaker if you plan on grilling on a wooden deck or near your house.

The triangle thingy lets you do raised grate or indirect with the stone.  I haven't tried doing pizza yet, but, I did get the extra pizza stone since another forum says you need the indirect stone on the bottom and a pizza stone on top.

The triangle thingy also let's you use a wok without a wok ring.  I tried it once and it was impossible to set the temps.

Here's my first pork tenderloin I ever made last night on the Joe Jr.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    stonewh said:
    Well I have a buddy that sells them and he said he can get me the Joe Jr for $400 and will even throw in a 44 lb bag of lump. I just want the opinion of someone that has both a BGE and a Kamado Joe, if they are in fact really similar or if you can see major differences. 

What kind of lump?
    NOLA
  • SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    It tasted good, but, just a bit over cooked.  I pulled it at 145 and tented it in foil, the temp kept rising and peaked at 156.  I guess I need to pull it at 135 next time.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• stonewh
    Options
    I am not sure on the lump, probably the Kamado Joe bag if I were to guess. I have watched a few videos on YouTube on the thing, I do like that triangle piece, I feel like it gives you some good choices, hadn't thought about not having the grate because I will be using it on the deck.
    Birmingham, AL
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    I looked into the MM and the KJ Jr. as a possible choice for my cottage. One requirement is that whatever I get it must fit a 5 quart DO. After removing the grid, I could barely close the lid of the KJ Jr. with the DO resting on the supplied ring. On the MM is wasn't even close to being able to shut. I think the Jr. provides more headroom in the dome if that matters to you at all. With the included deflector stone and placement ring, the Jr. enjoys a significant price advantage over the MM.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Add your location to your signature line. Others might chime in if they know of deals in your area.
    I have the KJ Jr. It's a great deal. No real difference between it and my Eggs.
    I also have a Small BGE. I will check and see if the lower vents are close to the same. Might be interchangeable.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • stonewh
    Options
    Added location, thanks for the heads up.
    Birmingham, AL
  • VB_egger
    VB_egger Posts: 364
    Options
    I have had mine about 4 months, no issues and it compliments my large egg very well. 
    VA Beach
  • BizGreenEgg
    BizGreenEgg Posts: 301
    Options
    I just picked up a Joe Jr. a couple weeks ago at a Costco Roadshow.  Check to see if ones coming near you - they go for $400 bucks there.  I've done pastrami and pizzas and it kicked ass.  I'll be doing a pork butt and more pizzas camping this weekend.  It has a lot more room than the mini, which is nice.  I looked at it and the minimax since they are close to the same size (joe is 1/2" larger on the grid I believe) and I felt both are equally as portable.  Biggest difference was the MM is hard to find around my parts and runs $200 more.  I'm very please with the Joe and would highly recommend it.  Only problem is the color.  My back deck looks like Christmas year round.
    Large BGE & mini stepchild & a KJ Jr.
    The damp PNW 
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I would find a KJ forum if I were you. Not being mean or anything but this is BGE site.  Certainly have a larger KJ audience on one of their dedicated sites.  
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • stonewh
    Options
    Thanks for the comments, most places around me are having a Memorial Day sale (10% off) so I am looking at about $539 plus tax for the MM and about $435 all in for the Joe Jr. I am going to do some more research but leaning toward the JR right now. I will be traveling with it every now and again taking it to the lake so that will affect my decision a little. I think I like the stand for the MM better than the one for the JR.
    Birmingham, AL
  • stonewh
    Options
    Will do 4Runner, thanks.
    Birmingham, AL
  • r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    Costco roadshow is coming to SoCal real soon. Even though I don't need a JR, I'm definitely going to check it out. 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    FWIW I own the KJ Jr and agree that it complements the lg BGE well. 
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    FWIW I own the KJ Jr and agree that it complements the lg BGE well. 
    I purchased a KJ Jr shortly after they hit the market. It's a great little rig and as you said above, it indeed compliments the Large very well. I have a mini and a MM as well. None really have a advantage over the other as far as how they cook and hold temp. They are all great rigs for their intended purposes. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Double Bogey
    Double Bogey Posts: 635
    Options
    I have had a large, small and mini at each of our places for a number of years. Youngest son had been begging for the small so I gave in and let him have it. After looking around I too decided on replacing it with a KJ Jr. and picked it up this afternoon for $399.  Looking forward to putting a little heat to it in an hour or so.  I really think quality wise and performance wise I won't see a difference except I'm hoping with the larger bottom draft opening I will get to higher temps quicker on the Jr.  The small has always been hard to get to searing temps.
    Larry
    Aiken, SC. and
    Fancy Gap, Va.
  • veewt
    veewt Posts: 50
    Options
    I actually bought a Joe jr this weekend on Portland (no tax -- woot!) at the costco: $399.

It's a bit big for my liking as I was hoping to be able to travel with it some.  Anyway, seems that it's a bit more reasonable size for a single dad and his little dude.

I'm looking forward to testing it out.

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2015
    Options
    As an aside, one thing I noticed about the KJ Jr is that the CGS CI for large bge spider fits it perfectly.  (It may also fit the MM but I can't comment on that since I do not own the MM.)
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    I, too have a Large BGE and  KJ Jr.  I bought the KJ for portability when we are going to our hideaway on the Oregon Coast.  It actually weighs a little bit less than MM and does have 13 inch cooking grid.
    It also comes in a very cool iron stand that is very stable.  Nothing will ever replace my BGE, but I do really like KJ Jr a lot!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    4Runner said:
    I would find a KJ forum if I were you. Not being mean or anything but this is BGE site.  Certainly have a larger KJ audience on one of their dedicated sites.  
    I respectfully disagree. I've browsed that forum, not very active at all. I'm sure you will get better info here.

FWIW, I have XL & S BGE and a Jr. They all work.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • stonewh
    Options
    Thank you everyone, you have about sold me on the Jr.
    Birmingham, AL
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Sounds like you've made your mind up to me... Just go buy it. 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    I'd buy the junior again in a heartbeat. I got mine from ace online last year when they had the price error for right at 350 I think, which I could justify on an impulse. I'm sure I'd love the mini max too and I still may get a mini for fast hot cooks, but overall I think the Joe Jr makes a great second kamado. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd buy the junior again in a heartbeat. I got mine from ace online last year when they had the price error for right at 350 I think, which I could justify on an impulse. I'm sure I'd love the mini max too and I still may get a mini for fast hot cooks, but overall I think the Joe Jr makes a great second kamado. 
    Drop the lump grate from your large into Jr. It will increas the air flow even more, reduce the amount of lump while getting the fire higher in the cooker for fast cooks.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    DMW said:
    4Runner said:
    I respectfully disagree. I've browsed that forum, not very active at all. I'm sure you will get better info here.

FWIW, I have XL & S BGE and a Jr. They all work.
    +1 - BGE and KJ Jr. owner here as well. This forum is great. Let's not deflect others that share our passion for BBQ because of the rig they use.  
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Have had the MM since shortly after it was released on the market. No regrets. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    FWIW no discrimination either way.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL