Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kerrygold - Best butter I have ever eaten!

Options
RRP
RRP Posts: 25,888
Recently I sampled some of this Irish butter at my Kroger store. They were serving it spread on a wafer as if it were an appetizer. MAN is that stuff rich and delicious! So far I've just enjoyed it as a snack and on toast, but any time you want a butter to shine on it's own I highly recommend you try it! They have some flavored types too, but this stuff rocks!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    It's great! I think the key is allowing the milk to start to curdle.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Ron, have you ever made your own? Easy and very tasty. With your mixer, a piece of cake!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Homemade butter, best use of leftover cream!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • RRP
    Options
    Ron, have you ever made your own? Easy and very tasty. With your mixer, a piece of cake!
    Tell me more!
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Kerrygold is wonderful.

There is butter, and then there is !Butter!.

Check this out.

After watching the above, I happened to find some Vermont Creamery culture butter. Amazing, but pretty expensive. Currently, have some tubs of cultured butter from Nordic Creamery of Wisconsin. Almost as good. On toast, like savory butter, but smooth like cream.  My wife said "That's the problem. After you have something this good, you don't want anything else."
  • Carolina Q
    edited May 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    Tell me more!
    Go to Youtube and search for How to make butter. I tried to link that search here, but no luck.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    Options
    gdenby said:
    Kerrygold is wonderful.

There is butter, and then there is !Butter!.

Check this out.

After watching the above, I happened to find some Vermont Creamery culture butter. Amazing, but pretty expensive. Currently, have some tubs of cultured butter from Nordic Creamery of Wisconsin. Almost as good. On toast, like savory butter, but smooth like cream.  My wife said "That's the problem. After you have something this good, you don't want anything else."
    I paid right at $5 for 8 ounces so Kerrygold isn't cheap as far as butter goes! 
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Good stuff Ron, worth every penny.  Plugra is another favorite for ghee, and baking. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think Costco used to sell it. May be cheaper than Kroger. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    It is good- I think Europeans typically add a culture to their butter. Gives it a lot of flavor

Greensboro, NC
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Leave cream out for around 8 hours until it just starts to turn. Then churn.
  • RRP
    Options
    Focker said:
    Good stuff Ron.  Plugra is another favorite for ghee. 
    Brandon, 
    I haven't made ghee in years! I used to literally float my steaks in ghee! Is this Plugra a brand I can find locally you think?

See you in a couple weeks at the Peoria Eggfest June 6th! What ever happened to Staci aka "glitter butt" - you once said she might link up with you and come over. Btw Bettysnephew is also coming from Cedar Rapids.
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    edited May 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    Focker said:
    Good stuff Ron.  Plugra is another favorite for ghee. 
    Brandon, 
    I haven't made ghee in years! I used to literally float my steaks in ghee! Is this Plugra a brand I can find locally you think?

See you in a couple weeks at the Peoria Eggfest June 6th! What ever happened to Staci aka "glitter butt" - you once said she might link up with you and come over. Btw Bettysnephew is also coming from Cedar Rapids.
    I'm not sure if I've seen Jewel Food stores in P-town, they are out of Chicago.  They run it on sale and I stock up the freezer.  Wallyworld has it too, Schmucks as well.   

Stac has a team bicycle ride that weekend.  Looking forward to seeing you buddy. 
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    Options
    Focker's post about Plugra took me searching the net regarding both Kerrygold and Plugra. Now I will be shopping tomorrow for some Plugra Eurpoen style to do my own comparison taste testing! 
    This has been another eye opening life event for me! Sometimes it just amazes me what culinary rock I have lived under! I always wondered why the butter served at my favorite steakhouse was far superior to the Land of Lakes butter we ate at home. I just assumed it was the ambiance of white linen tablecloths and napkins let alone knowing what the night out was going to cost! 

• blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    @RRP I agree that butter is amazing!  May have to try to make some myself.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,466
    Options
    Hah!  You guys just tugged one of my earliest memories!  
    I attended kindergarten in East Hartford, Connecticut, in about 1964 or 5.  Our "teechur" poured some cream into a quart glass jar, and we all took one-minute shifts shaking the crap out of the jar, passing it around.
    "Teech" then buttered crackers for us all, and I vomited the rest of the afternoon and into the evening.   :)
    I still love butter, and cream, and I even like crackers, but prolly won't be making my own butter any more in this lifetime.  :har!:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Plugra is good but we prefer either Kerrygold unsalted or Challenge unsalted.  All make wonderful clarified butter.  Our Costco and Sams carry both the salted and unsalted Kerrygold.  Spring Chicken did a post a couple months ago about making butter from heavy cream. 
    Oh, if you like a good cheddar try the Kerrygold versions.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Try the cheese
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I eat butter.  Sometimes I'll put a little cracker on top.
    Options
    I made some herb garlic butter with it a couple weeks ago and it was amazing toasted on garlic bread style loaf bread.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I never buy butter anymore. heavy whipping cream on high in my kitchen aid with the whisk. I cover the top with paper towel and when it's wet (happens pretty suddenly after about 8-10 minutes I guess.)  
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Cymbaline65
    Cymbaline65 Posts: 800
    Options

I bought my first KG butter as it was 2 for 1 and you are right, 'tis delicious.

In the  Hinterlands between Cumming and Gainesville, GA
    Med BGE, Weber Kettle, Weber Smokey Joe, Brinkman Dual Zone, Weber Genesis Gas Grill and portable gasser for boating
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    the kerrigold really shines on a good piece of irish soda bread, its pretty much what i buy it for. i think i read somewhere that there is a law that limits the amount of fat here in butter and that butter is way better overseas. theres a place not far from here that whips in a tiny amount of pure maplesyrup in it thats killer on a hot dinner roll, i could go there just for the rolls
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dcc
    dcc Posts: 90
    Options
    Kerrygold is awesome.  For you Houston folks: Revival Market in the Heights sells a locally made butter.  It is phenomenal. Spread it on one of their pretzel rolls and you'll think you are in heaven
    Houston (Clear Lake) TX
    2 LBGE, 1 Mini-Max

• TnJed
    TnJed Posts: 118
    Options
    Love that stuff. 
    “All normal people love meat … You don’t win friends with salad.” - Homer Simpson
    http://griffinmotors.blogspot.com/
    https://instagram.com/griffin_motors/ 
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Kerry Gold or Plugra in the butter crock is how I roll. 
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Options
    Thanks Ron, just got back from more weekend shopping, picked up some Kerrygold to try.. 
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Carolina Q
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I think it's important to serve butter at room temp, but I rarely do. That is about to change. :) I just bought three things; 8 oz of Kerrygold, one qt of heavy cream and a butter crock (the kind you add water to before the butter goes in. I think I have been convinced that butter has gotten a bad rap from a health perspective. Hope so, cuz I'm about to have 1 1/2 lb of it! BTW, 8 oz of KG is $5, the same price as 1 qt of cream which makes 1 lb of butter. Head to head... we'll see.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Dredger
    Dredger Posts: 1,468
    Options
    a butter crock (the kind you add water to before the butter goes in.

I've used that style of container for decades. Works great. Thanks RRP for the info on Kerrygold. I have seen it in our local stores, but never noticed that is from grass fed beef. Will pick some up tomorrow.

Large BGE
    Greenville, SC
  • RRP
    Options
    Taste tests to start here soon! BTW I also found the Plugra at my Kroger. It was only $3.99 vs. $4.99 for the Kerrygold. From comments made in this thread plus some food blogs I've read it will be a coin flipper!