Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef short ribs, first time

Options
I making my first beef short ribs tomorrow and am a little pressed for time. Ineed to serve at noon, on the smoker at 7am. Every recipe I find calls for 225 temp. Will it be bad if I "rush" them and cook at 275?

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think you would be just fine cooking at that temp.   If need be you could always foil them for a bit which speeds things up.  Are you cooking a whole rack of shorties or the individual ribs?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• busmania
    busmania Posts: 414
    Options
    I think you would be just fine cooking at that temp.   If need be you could always foil them for a bit which speeds things up.  Are you cooking a whole rack of shorties or the individual ribs?  
    They are the full ribs (like 6 or 7" long) and cut in twos.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,341
    Options
    As mentioned, you will be fine at the higher temp but those ribs can take some time so I would foil after around 3 hours (and may dial it up to about 300*F once in foil) to punch them home.  Check with a toothpick for "doneness"-"like buttah".  Great eats await.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    I think I would probably do a wrapped stage in order to speed things along to finish in 5 hours.  I found this post from @Biggreenpharmacist and it sounds like these finished in about 5 hours. 

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1174810/beef-short-ribs-lots-of-pics-sorry

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,043
    Options
    I  would start at 5am personally.  You are leaving no room for issues.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • BOWHUNR
    BOWHUNR Posts: 1,487
    Options
    Not sure you can make it in that time.  The last 5 lb. short rib plate I did took eight hours at 250* and they were foiled for two hours of that time.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
  • Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I'm pretty sure those I cooked were done in less than 5 hours. 2-3 hours in smoke, hour in braise, 30-60 minutes to glaze and tighten up. 

Little Rock, AR

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    You are going to pics right? 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • busmania
    Options
    Confession. I might not use the egg...GASP!!!  I just built a side firebox reverse flow smoker so I might try that out. Trying to get it dialed in. Haven't decided yet. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    busmania said:
    Confession. I might not use the egg...GASP!!!  I just built a side firebox reverse flow smoker so I might try that out. Trying to get it dialed in. Haven't decided yet. 
    If I may ask, what diameter and length is your RFOS? The reason that I ask is because I'm kind of a smoker nut. Love tinkering and toying with them myself when time allows. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mjk412
    mjk412 Posts: 113
    Options
    I've been cooking all my ribs a my 275 dome temp with great results.  2-3 hrs of smoke, then an hour or so in foil, and then the last 30min or so brushed with bbq sauce.  Wife hates ribs. Never would eat them. I started cooking this way and she now loves ribs. 
  • busmania
    Options
    SGH said:
    busmania said:
    If I may ask, what diameter and length is your RFOS? The reason that I ask is because I'm kind of a smoker nut. Love tinkering and toying with them myself when time allows. 

This rf smoker is the perfect size for a back yard smoker. It is an old craftsman compressor that was 33 gallons. It measures 18" x 32". Here is apic. 

• busmania
    Options

Here is a link to the build.  For my first, I am stoked with how it came out.  My Egg feels neglected, although I still use it multiple times per week for higher temp stuff.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/181548/my-first-build-help-me-please-reverse-flow