Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Question about cooking a thick steak

Options
I'd like to try searing off a thick cut steak for a couple of minutes on each side and then finish the cook at a lower temp. So the immediate issue I see is that if I get the BGE up to around 700° with the vents wide open, sear the steak and then shut the vents down enough to bring the temp down, it'll cause a dirty fire by choking off the oxygen... not to mention I'll have to be careful for flashbacks. Is it okay to just put the steaks aside and wait for the BGE to lower in temp and stop smoking? I've done reverse sear but haven't done a cook where I seared first.

I say all of this because I usually cook steaks at a constant temp around 400° direct. Wanted to try something different this weekend. Thanks!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I usually do mine around 500-550 and figure 2 minutes per inch of thickness for each side.  Then I shut the egg down and monitor the meat temp with the thermapen usually pull around 125-130 depending on who wants what. turning the meat every few minutes until desired temp is reached.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I like the control of the reverse sear myself for thick steaks but if you want to sear first google the TRex method. I tried to link but it wouldn't post until approval.
    In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    @Richard Fl... shutting down the egg produces smoke, right?

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @jls9595... I found the T-Rex method. Sounds like what I'm looking for. I'll bet it takes a while for the fire to cool down and stop burning dirty though.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    Try it caveman... remove the grate, and sear it for about 2-3min each side, then put the grate back in and finish it on there. You don't need to have the egg screaming hot to do this, just some nice red hot lump. Then you can finish to the temp you want without having to wait for the egg temp to drop
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @hapster... I may try that sometime just to see how it works. Would think the steak would pick up a bunch of ash though.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Like Hap says, some lower temp heat, dome open and get right down close to it for the sear. Then close the vents almost all the way, will not be dirty as the VOCs are gone. Finish your cook. That big cold dome will keep the temps down. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    I have been doing a reverse sear on steaks, but want to do the sear first and the cook afterwards ... like you're proposing.  I like what @hapster recommended because of the constant temp in the egg.  But, I don't want to (don't have the courage to) throw the meat into the lump.  Here's what I'm planning on trying on a large egg:

- Install a spider and grill ... about 4 inches off the lump.
    - Install my PSWoo2, plate setter, and BGE grill
    - When the egg has stabilized at 400 degrees, pull the upper assembly and drop the steaks on the lower grill.  Let sear for 90 seconds per side.
    - Pull the steaks, install the upper assembly, and put the steaks on the BGE grill.  Cook at 400 degrees indirect for about 12 minutes per inch checking periodically.
    - Pull at 125 degrees and let coast to 130 for medium rare.

Anything off or missing?

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    @EggHead_Bubba I had to try caveman after watching @hapster ... It's just plain fun! As long as you've got good lump and not a bowl of ash, you won't have any ash on your steak, just a great sear. 
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Not necessarily smoke, but nasty acrid tasting yuck.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    Not necessarily smoke, but nasty acrid tasting yuck.

I have not noticed or tasted any yuck or eggcessive smoke in several years of doing this method.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    If you don't have a spider you can fill the lump almost to the top off the fire ring,fire up the egg but don't shut the dome, let the fire get hot and use your grate to sear. Then you could thrown in your indirect piece and I bet it would drop you temp. Add the steak until desired temp 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    Options
    Any reason you are avoiding the poor man hot tub method? That means your internal temperature of the meat will be 110 or above before it even goes on your egg for a sear.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Reverse sear is the easiest solution.  No need to sear first and fight with your Egg.  Cook to temp with a low indirect temp or a water bath as suggested above, then rest and get your Egg up to temp, and then sear.  Works every time on a nice thick cut.   Initial sear does nothing to retain moisture so unless that is just your preference, go with reverse sear.  Reverse sear will give you something different to try and solve your issues you listed in your post.   Give it a try.

Other resources of information on searing.

Alton Brown Video - http://www.foodnetwork.com/videos/to-sear-or-not-to-sear-98517.html

also - http://amazingribs.com/tips_and_technique/mythbusting_searing_seals_in_juices.html

Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Great suggestions by everyone! Can't wait to try a few new ideas I have received from this thread. I knew I could count on you all!  =)

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    im a trex fan, sear it at 800 (650 if using a cast iron grill), take it out for a 20 minute rest plus minus til temps are below 400, back on grill to finish. you want to try all the methods to find which one you like best, for me its trex for thick steak, water bath for thinner steaks. im also a fan of salt only for the sear which is why i like trex over reverse sear, i dont like burnt pepper or rub and applying that right after the sear on the plate and finishing it up by roasting 20 min later fixes that for me.
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'm a reverse sear guy too. For a thick steak, I don't think another method gives as much medium rare perfection as reverse sear. It's also a very easy technique.  Here's my last grill session using the technique. It has never failed me.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1180440/reverse-sear-ny-filet-snf-gold-grade#latest
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Options
    To echo others, I would highly recommend the reverse sear. I've done it now on three different occasions when I have had thicker steaks and they have turned out absolutely perfect. If my dumba$$ can do it there is no reason you can't nail it.
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA

• johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Reverse sear. All the way
    XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    RRP said:
    Any reason you are avoiding the poor man hot tub method? That means your internal temperature of the meat will be 110 or above before it even goes on your egg for a sear.
    I'm guessing this is a poor man sous vide.  Please explain the method.  I have an instant hot water tap that produces water at about 140 F in seconds.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.