Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help with herbs for fish please

Options
Nature Boy
Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Howdy.
Just purchased some gorgeous monkfish that I am gonna grill up tonight. I have an idea of using a mustard/soy/lime juice/honey/sesame or peanut oil mixture to create sort of a marinade paste. I am coming up short on ideas for an herb or seasoning to use with this paste/marinade. Maybe ginger? Rosemary? Or what?[p]Was hopin' I might get some ideas from yall...Gonna make the paste and rub it on at about 5:30 est. Preeciate any ideas.[p]Also gonna grill some small zuchini halfs, and was thinking of using the same paste...or a slightly modified version.[p]Thanks!!
NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ

Comments

• Gretl
    Gretl Posts: 670
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Lucky you! I haven't seen monkfish in our local fish market for quite some time. I'm eager to try it, too.[p]Here's a search for Monkfish result on FoodTV.com:[p]http://www.foodtv.com/recipes/re-r1/1,1730,,00.html[p]There's a recipe for grilled monkfish with red pepper/basil sauce that looks very good. I didn't explore others, but you might want to take a peek. Also Gourmet.com has a few Monkfish recipes. I've never prepared it, but I have had it before and love the flavor and texture. Let us know what you come up with; I'm sure it'll be great.[p]Cheers,
    Gretl

• BBQfan1
    BBQfan1 Posts: 562
    Options
    Nature Boy, I've always heard monkfish referred to as being 'lobsteresque'. With this in mind, I imagine tarragon would be an herb that would match up pretty good. Marinade sounds great.

• Nature Boy
    Options
    BBQfan1,
    Thanks. It is quite like lobster in texture...called "poor man's lobster"....but at 10 bucks a pound, we eat it once a month or so. A super ugly fish, and probably cheaper in certain parts of the country.[p] Tarragon sounds like a good one, and I bet it goes well with the marinade (I am going to use that green peppercorn mustard I picked up with you and Earl in Toronto).[p]Preeeeeciate!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Hi Gretl, Fortunately we can always get monkfish here. Thanks a bunch for the link. Looks like basil or rosemary is pretty widly used in those recipes, as well as my books. BBQFan1 had a great suggestion for tarragon. I think I will give it a shot![p]You would love monkfish, and it takes well to many cooking methods. Thanks again.[p]Cheers!
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • RhumAndJerk
    Options
    Nature Boy,
    Fresh Dill?
    RhumAndJerk

• RhumAndJerk
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    And Lemon Juice and Olive Oil.
    RhumAndJerk

• Spin
    Spin Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]Our favorite with monkfish is this wine and herb marinade from "The Firehouse Grilling Cookbook" by Joeseph Bonanno Jr.[p]1/2 Cup dry white wine
    1 tbs chopped fresh rosemary or 1.5 tsp dried
    1 tbs chopped fresh oregano or 1.5 tsp dried
    1 tbs chopped fresh thyme or 1.5 tsp dried
    1 tsp fennel seeds (crushed)
    Grated zest of 1 lemon
    2 garlic cloves, crushed
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
    1/2 Cup olive oil, preferably extra virgin[p]Mix all ingredients (except olive oil). Slowly add olive oil while wisking. Marinate for no longer than 30 minutes.[p]The fresh is worth the effort. If you use the dried herbs, marinate them in the wine for at least 15 minutes to help release their flavors.[p]Sorry if I'm too late.[p]Spin

• Nature Boy
    Options
    RhumAndJerk,
    Thanks! Dill probably would have gone well with the base I am using, as well as the lemon juice/olive oil you mention. I ended up with the tarragon, since I rarely use it. Will let you know how it turns out.The thick marinade sure smelled good![p]Cheers
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Nature Boy
    Options
    Spin,
    Wow. Sounds great. In fact it sounds so good I might have to go get some more monkfish!
    Thanks
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
  • Thanks yall for the suggestions. Ended up going with the tarragon which was good with the mustard/soy/lime/sesame oil/honey paste. Still want to try the dill or rosemary with it. One thing I found was that the monkfish takes a bit longer to cook than other white fishes. Great dinner, and the zuchini was also tasty.[p]Also, the Lord Chesterfield Ale (made in Pennsylvania and recommended by Gretl) is awesome with fish....and after dinner as well![p]Cheers
    NB