Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Baby Back Rib Question For the Eggsperts

Options
GalanteNate_OneEa
GalanteNate_OneEa Posts: 967
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
Can I 3-2-FTC-1 and get the same results?  My thought is that the real cooking is done within the 3-2, and the 1 is really just a re-texturing and sauce adhering. So if I did it my way of 3-2-FTC-1 I would not ruin my texture with the FTC and slightly reheat when I do the 1 after the FTC.  Just a thought.  Don't have time to test it out before the Memorial Day picnic on Saturday or I would.

Thanks in advance for the input.

Comments

• loveTheEgg
    loveTheEgg Posts: 573
    edited May 2015
    Options
    go 240 for 5 hours. Do not touch peek do nothing! At 4.5 hours open and sauce to your liking and go for another 30 minutes. Apple or oak for smoke. Best u will ever eat. Try it  :)
    Brandon, MS
  • GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Unfortunately the ribs are only getting 3 hours max on the egg, brisket is bumping them at 8 am. The 2-1 was happening in the oven. I'm sure I could turbo the ribs too but I have been solid on 3-2-1 (times vary according to color texture and and doneness and only represent phases) but after this weekend I totally have to give the straight 5 hours a chance. Thanks @loveTheEgg
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    With this you can have time to test it out. Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
    350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. 
    Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. 
    Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. 
    Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. 
    If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    @Mickey I was worried about turbo method for this one because I'm cooking 6 racks vertical on a single tier so I will have the outside ribs exposed to higher temps than the inside, and because I don't get to peak, I'm nervous about damaging them. What do you think?
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @GalanteNate_OneEa   ... hey brother, hope you don't take this the wrong was but your overthinking things here. Turbo or l&s will be just fine. I, myself would do the ribs @ 275 ... your able to control the temps a whole hell of alot easier than anything under 240.

If your worried about the high temp on the outer ribs, put some HDAF  where the heat is direct.

No matter what - just enjoy the day cooking. Good times.
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    ... I will have the outside ribs exposed to higher temps than the inside ...
    What about using firebricks or an aluminum foil shield vertically along the length of the outer ribs?  Might work kind of like a vertical plate setter.

You do understand how @Mickey came up with the turbo stuff? It's in the name ... (T)emperature (U)n-(R)egulated (B)y (O)perator.  :) 

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Thanks much for all the advice fellas, let everyone know how everything turns out.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    @jeepster47, nicely done!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    FWIW, I have done 3-2-refrigerate overnight-1 and they turned out great.  Just another option if you want to consider cooking them ahead of time.  You could time it where you let the brisket FTC while you reheat/sauce the ribs.  

As you mentioned I would adjust the time based on cooking temp and how done they look.  I usually find 1 - 1.5 hours in foil is more than enough.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DaveRichardson
    DaveRichardson Posts: 2,324
    Options
    Just foil under the ribs where they will overhand the platesetter and you will be fine.

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    @Mickey I was worried about turbo method for this one because I'm cooking 6 racks vertical on a single tier so I will have the outside ribs exposed to higher temps than the inside, and because I don't get to peak, I'm nervous about damaging them. What do you think?
    Sirry. In Yellowstone all day and no service. I use an oval stone so no worry. And I peak. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• GalanteNate_OneEa
    Options
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to give me the input. All of the advice was very helpful and insightful!