Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

4 Butts on One Egg or Two

Options
I have dilemma.  Smoking 4 butts tonight for holiday weekend get together.  I have LBGE and KJ classic.  Would you smoke all 4 together or put 2 on each cooker?  I only have one Maverick ET-732.  I'm leaning towards all 4 on LBGE because that is what I'm familiar with but would be fun to have both going at same time.  Have only cooked single butts on LBGE but all have turned out well.  Thoughts?  Thanks.

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I'd do it all on one unless you are doing significantly different seasonings on them. Just remember you may need a bigger drip pan if you've never done more then one at a time before.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    I've done 4 on one LBGE without any problem.  I switch the top two and bottom two about 4 hours into the cook just to help even things out but I'm not sure how mandatory that is....just seemed like a good idea the first time and that's how I've done it since.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • Offpiste
    Offpiste Posts: 47
    Options
    How much lard did you collect from 4?  I usually put a large foil lasagna pan below for a catch.  Will that be enough?  These are 7-8 lbs butts.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Do you have a some sort of raised grid for the egg or for the classic?  I think 4 would be a tight squeeze on a single level.  If you have a second level then no problem.  I think a large lasagna pan would probably be sufficient. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Offpiste
    Options
    Have raised grid, plan on 2 levels 2 butts per level.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Offpiste said:
    Have raised grid, plan on 2 levels 2 butts per level.
    Sounds like a plan.  That is what I would do- just run one cooker for the butts.  If you want to have some fun firing them both up you could always throw some chicken, sausages, etc on the other cooker.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Putting 5-8 pounders on in the morning on Thursday 
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    Lasagna pan will be plenty big. Just don't let it sit directly on the indirect piece as that can burn the drippings and lead to a lesser quality product. You can use some balled up aluminum foil or some spare nuts and bolts to keep the pan from being completely in contact with the stone.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    the only problem ive had with big cooks is the temp reading, all that cold meat throws the temp readings off. i now just stabalize the temps, toss the meat in and dont change vent settings for 5 hours, disregard the fake maverick readings for 5 hours and just trust your vent settings
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Offpiste
    Options

How much did it throw of temp readings and what were you seeing?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    Offpiste said:

How much did it throw of temp readings and what were you seeing?

just used the dome gage on the first big cook, dome reading was under 200 with me chasing temps and opening vents, finally opened the dome and saw a riproaring 1000 degree fire down there =) get it nice and stabile, add meat and wait before using or trusting your gages. if there was a maverick in there the wires would have been fried
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it