Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Temperature Gauge

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
My temperature gauge has condensation in it. Anyway to get it out or should I get a new temperature gauge?[p]Thanks,[p]Tom

Comments

• Haggis
    Haggis Posts: 998
    Options
    Tom,[p]Common problem. Other than buying a new one, the conventional wisdom seems to be to drill a small hole in the side and let the moisture out. Note, however, that the outside seems to be stainless and the part with the BGE graphics on it is aluminum, so if you drill carelessly you will bend, rather than penetrate, the aluminum. That said (and having bent my aluminum interior) I can say that the moisture in mine disappeared after a few cooks.
  • Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    pACE2-997975dt.jpg
    <p />Tom,
    You will probably get many good responses on gauges.
    Incase you decide to drill and damage, or wait to buy a pricey one, and need a quick gauge in the meantime goto your local retailer and pick this gauge up for around $10.
    It may just turn out to be more of a temporary solution as I have been using the same on in my ceramic and other smoker for almost 3 yrs and off just a few degrees.
    Good luck,
    ST

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    BBQ250.gif
    <p />Smokin' Todd,[p]Hey, you might even win one of the Tru-Tel Thermometers at the Texas Eggfest!
    [ul][li]Texas Eggfest - Register Today![/ul]

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • egret
    egret Posts: 4,170
    Options
    Tom,
    I'd suggest, in the future, you not leave the thermometer out in the elements. I bring mine inside after each cook and insert a 'shaved-down' golf tee in the hole......

• Smokin' Todd
    Smokin' Todd Posts: 1,104
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Doesnt look all that good to attend this year.
    I was just notified today that I can not get the 19th off, so unless Im able to take a late flight that friday night and stay on sunday then Im in. So far I havent found flights to Austin leaving later then 4pm that friday.
    ST

• GrillMeister,
    I was just looking at an airport very close to my job that has a flight going out at 5:40 pm that friday but wont arrive in Austin 'till 10:40 pm. So If i can swing this make sure you guys leave the lights on for me friday night:)
    ST

• Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    Options
    GrillMeister,
    Yea, the Tel-Tru's full of condensation look much better than the BGE ones full of condensation....I have two.[p]Maybe they are not made to be out in the Seattle area weather all year round...

• GrillMeister
    GrillMeister Posts: 1,608
    Options
    Actually...,[p]Not a problem. We'll leave a light on for ya! I'll save ya some pulled pork too![p]Cheers,[p]Ed

Cheers,

GrillMeister
    Austin, Texas
  • Smoked Signals
    Options
    Tom,
    On you next high temperature cook just push the gauge right up against the ceramic ... it will boil off the moisture. Your gauge will be fine.[p]Doug

• Tom,
    I had a customer with this problem last summer. John at BGE
    suggested using a little glue or clear silicone on the seals of the guage. The guage is not sealed from the factory. If it's new they may replace it for you.
    Another solution is to put a cover on your egg. It will protect the temp guage and the hardware. BGE has high
    quality covers.[p]Grillnut

• Pop'nfresh
    Options
    I may get slammed for this but mine did the same thing. I put the thing in my conventional oven at about 200 degrees for five minutes or so. Removed it (use a mitt), let it cool down, and then applied clear silicon around the top where the glass meets the metal and under the metal cap. I have not had any condensation since (I leave mine on outside) and it is just as accurate as it was before
  • stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Tom,
    condensation is a result of the humidty in the guage being higher than that outside the guage. and when days are cold, the humidty inside (which got in there on a warm humid day or during rain) will condense.[p]a completely sealed dial is not required to maintain the accuracy of the thermometer. there is no magic vacuum or argon gas or anything in that little chamber of mystery required for the thermometer to work.[p]i took the smallest drill i had and drilled a weep hole on the 'bottom' edge of the rim (when reading the dial right-face-up), thinking i could shake out the water.[p]what actually happened was what i wish i realized would have happened in the first place.[p]the inside atmosphere equalises with the outside air, and there is no condition under which you will ever again experience condensation. [p]you don't need to bring it in from the weather, either. those thermometers are bimetallic. nothing can happen to it (as far as exposure to a range of temps) which will cause it to lose accuracy over time due to exposure to the elements.[p]it WILL lose accuracy from being bumped (or spun, most likely), and may need to be re-calibrated, but thermometers don't get 'old' or get 'worn out'. the metal is elastic and is quite safe living in the range of daily temps where we all egg. [p]you'd need to live on the sun, or just out past the ort cloud, to screw up a bimetallic thermometer.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante