Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

PartyQ question..

Options
Hi. I am a newbie here. Just got a small egg. I also bought a PartyQ control for it because of it's size. I am going to fire it for the first time this Saturday. I will do a 4 Lb pork butt. I have a question though about the PartyQ. When it is installed.. What should the Daisy Wheel vent be set at?? Thanks
I live in Duluth, Minnesota

Comments

• Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    It should be nearly shut.  I would say open the wheels so the slits are a width of a dime. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Cowdogs said:
    It should be nearly shut.  I would say open the wheels so the slits are a width of a dime. 
    +1  

You will want an efficient fire going and you also want to hold in the heat that it's generating.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    +1

The PartyQ fan can ONLY make the temp go up by pushing combustion air into the egg.  Since it has a "bottom vent" opening the lump continues to receive air flow, even when the fan isn't running.  You need to close the top vent down until non-fan airflow is throttled down such that the fire cannot continue to burn without the fan running.

When it's set up correctly, the top vent shuts the fire down and the PartyQ turns the fire up.  If your fan is running about 10~30% of the time, you have the correct balance.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• slantback37
    slantback37 Posts: 135
    Options
    Thanks for your help.
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    You need to put that back in the box and learn how to go without it. I am not a fan as I gave away a new one. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

What @cowdogs said.  I bought a partyq after I was several months into my first egg.  It helped me with piece of mind on those long low and slows.  Then I bought a Cyberq WiFi, and used that a lot.  Almost 5 years later, I rarely use them.  However I love being able to monitor a cook from inside.   For example, that Thanksgiving turkey!  :).

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • slantback37
    Options
    That is the next thing I want to do. Been deep frying them before. 
    I think I will feel safer using the Q the first few times out. Last time I tried smoking a butt I was using a Masterbuilt electric smoker. I bought some rub online. Loaded with brown sugar. Well after cooking it for 12 hrs. It was black, bitter, and tasted different. I had to add chips every half hour, or no smoke.
  • slantback37
    Options
    Well I did it this morning. It all went well. Except for the burning out after only 4 hrs. The temp was only 152 when I had to pull it. All out it took me 8hrs. Most of it was cooked at 250. The last 18 degrees I jacked it up to 290.
  • slantback37
    Options
    Is there any way of recalibrating the PartyQ??
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    Slivers of watermelon seeds up top.  Barely open slits and if it  is open too much youll get a dome temp that is too high and that is tough to lower