Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Outdoor TV

Options
Who's got em?? What's your setup? I'm about halfway done fixing my patio up with one. It won't be permanent outside, just take it in and out from garage. I didn't want to pay for another box so I found out that the back of my genie receiver has multiple outlets and tested that tonight. Plan on snaking a component video from my living room unit outside, which are right aligned on the same wall. 

How do they hold up to weather? Use it much? 

XLBGE 

Comments

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I just pulled cable to the garage and put it on a wall mount that was long enough to turn the tv either direction fully.
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    Options
    Cool. @lit what's that cabinet smoker?? 

XLBGE 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    I have a similar set up to @lit except 360 ceiling mount. Hopefully it migrates to a screened in porch before the end of summer....
  • Lit
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse it's a backwoods fatboy. Christmas present to myself.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    To each his own, but if I want to watch TV, I want to do it in the comfort of my home.  When I'm outside, I'm either enjoying the outdoors, or I'm doing yard work, automotive work, home repair/maintenance work, etc.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• ksmyrl
    ksmyrl Posts: 1,050
    Options
    I put a 50" smart tv on the screened porch. The egg is out of the photo to the left on the open deck. To be honest, I might not have done this except I won the TV at a party. It's an inexpensive refurb from Sams I think. But I'm so glad I have it now. It's made the screened porch and deck a great entertaining space. It's been up over a year now and survived the pollen, single digit temps, and everything else mother nature can throw at it. I use the Direct TV whole home DVR service, Netflix, and Pandora on it often which is nice.

Fish, Hunt, Cook....anything else?

1LBGE, 1MMBGE, somewhere near Athens GA
  • mrosener
    mrosener Posts: 26
    Options
    I put a Toshiba LCD outside under a covered patio 2 years ago.  It stays outside year round; no problems so far.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @ksmyrl sweet man. You can access the dvr over wifi? Yea, we now have an extra tv after upsizing the living room so that's why I'm looking to set something up. Just like when football season is here can have the games on outside or something. 

XLBGE 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    To each his own, but if I want to watch TV, I want to do it in the comfort of my home.  When I'm outside, I'm either enjoying the outdoors, or I'm doing yard work, automotive work, home repair/maintenance work, etc.
    I can watch a game while I change the oil. I don't watch a lot of tv, but I'd rather sit out by the fire, or in the drive than in the house if the weather is nice. Just because I'm outside doesn't mean I'm working. 
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    @MrCookingNurse I don't access it over wifi, I have one of those newer "mini RF" DVR receivers. It's so small it's shoved behind the tv and you never see it. It is $10/month extra on the Direct TV bill, but it's so worth it in my opinion. Just for the music alone. But the best part is when all the guests are on the screened porch enjoying the game or golf and I'm cooking. Don't have to be separated. Masters Weekend was the bombdiggity.

• Lit
    Options
    If you look at my picture on the shelf by the tv next to the beer is the mini receiver from direct tv. Guessing it's like 4"*4"*1"
  • ksmyrl
    Options
    @Lit that's a big...BEER!!  ;)

That's the receiver I'm talking about

• theyolksonyou
    Options
    @lit did you plan to take that shot with that particular subtitle?
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Cool, yea I have two of those mini receivers inside. Wanna see how this works with just mirroring the inside tv first. 

XLBGE 
  • texaswig
    texaswig Posts: 2,682
    Options
    I've got a friend that had a plasma TV screen died from the cold. There's not many plasmas left around anyways. 

2-XLs ,MM,blackstone,Ooni koda 16,R&V works 8.5 gallon fryer,express smoker and 40" smoking cajun 

scott 
    Greenville Tx
  • Lit
    Options
    No the wife paused it cause the baby woke up. Took the pic to post on the what are you doing now thread and didn't even check the tv. Was multiple beers in at this point.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    @texaswig I read something about the worst tv to put outside is plasma. Has something to do with the temp it works at and the display. Oh well. 

XLBGE 
  • DRKEgg
    DRKEgg Posts: 37
    Options
    I have a 50 inch LED tv on my screened in porch.  It's probably 60 feet from my LBGE.   Love the setup and there is nothing better than watching the Masters or football while cooking on the BGE.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    texaswig said:
    I've got a friend that had a plasma TV screen died from the cold. There's not many plasmas left around anyways. 
    I still have two!  Great picture, but I would never subject a plasma to the elements as they're fickle lil beasts.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    I don't have a good area covered from the elements, so I have a 42" Visio LCD that I bring out when needed and set on a small table.  I have a wireless AT&T box, Apple TV, Google Chromecast and digital antenna I can hook up depending on what I want to tap into.  It takes me maybe 2 min to get it setup and running and I don't have it sitting there all the time.
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    I use my 4.5 inch 2 generation ago smartphone to watch and listen to things while I'm Egging. Been looking for a decent way to get a unused 20 inch tv to the grilling area but don't feel safe with the kids running around 99 percent of the time.  A football won't knock an egg over but a unmounted tv is a different story. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    If the weather is good, I'd rather watch a smartphone outside over flatscreen inside.  A big tv would be nice outdoors, but the elements wouldn't be kind - too dusty and hot here.

Phoenix 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I have one in a cypress case cemented into the yard.  Rain, hail, wind, everything hits it   Has a cooling fan, amp, couple of Bose speakers (since the factory speakers are enclosed).  No problems other than the back of the case melted some from the sun.  Have two feeds - cable box from bedroom and Roku (mostly for Pandora).  Faces the eggs.  I can post pics, too implanted into the couch now to take some and too hard to dig through thousands of pics to find old ones.  Some pics in my threads.
    Options
    @nolaegghead I saw your buld thread in the past. I've thought of something similar in the future. Hopefully this weekend I can try this temp fix and I'll post pics of my long term thoughts if this works. 

XLBGE 
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    If you don't want it outside all the time, I ran a 100ft HDMI ($85 Amazon) from a bedroom receiver down through the wall (just used incoming coax cable as guide where to drill up into wall), and then out through the subfloor vent to outside. I store the output HDMI in a waterproof bucket outside under my egg table. when I want to watch tv, I just carry my ~36" LCD (not heavy) outside. I can use my Ipad to change channels. While I was at it, I did the same technique with 6 outdoor speakers (receiver is also inside). Honestly all-in was probably $500-$750 and has been worth every penny. If interested I can list details/pics.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options

This is a cheap Samsung. I store it in the cabinet it is sitting on when not in use. That protects it from dust, pollen, etc. I am currently using it with Amazon Fire for Netflix, HBO, etc. I am thinking of adding another DirectTV receiver out there.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • Scott805
    Scott805 Posts: 349
    Options
    When I had my patio built last year, I asked my audio/video guy about a Sunbrite TV.  He told me he is the authorized dealer in my area and had only sold one in five years.  He told me to go to Sams and get a cheap tv and buy a decent cover ($60).  If they last two years you are ahead of the game.  Have had it one year so far and no problems. 

Large BGE, 2 Tier Adjustable Swing Rack System, three (3) bricks from Home Depot for raised direct, Blackstone 22" Griddle - Finally have a decent cooking area!

Dallas, TX

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

I have a 32" LCD in my garage sitting on top of my gun safe and a 42" LCD on my back porch covered patio above the back door and perfectly visible from the pool and sitting area sitting in a wood box for lack of a better term that I built with 2x12s.  Both stay in the same place year round with no problems.  Although I did get cheaper models just due to where they were going to be. 

I rarely have both going at once, so I got U-Verse to exchange the garage box for one of those wireless boxes for free and I just move the box back and forth as need be. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    edited May 2015
    Options

i only get one channel, but its a very wide screen. i dont understand this outside tv thing =)
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v225/fishlessman/021-13.jpg

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    i forgot this tv as well

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it