Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cleaning the interior, exterior, daisy wheel, etc.

Options
Tom
Tom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I searched the archives for answers and since many were from several years ago, I wanted some fresher opinions.[p]Is it necessary to clean the interior of the Egg, for example, the dome? I seem to think it's not necessary, but was just wondering. I do clean the grate, but usually that's it.[p]I noticed today what appear to be small cracks on the exterior. It appears to be the glaze. Anyone else notice this on their Egg? I cover it and just wondering if this is just something that happens over time.[p]The daisy wheel also has buildup on it. Any suggestions on how to clean it?[p]Thanks much. Sorry for so many questions.[p]Tom

Comments

• stike
    stike Posts: 15,597
    Options
    Tom,
    i don't know of many that clean the inside of the dome...[p]the cracks are normal. no worries.[p]i try not to mess with the daisy. i put it in the BGE after a cook, and any grease comes right off. the sooty stuff i just brush whatever's loose off if need be. don't get it too clean.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JimW
    JimW Posts: 450
    Options
    Tom,
    If the daisy wheel gets really cruddy, put it in a bag with some ammonia, leave it for 24 hours and then clean it really good.[p]If there is some buildup in the dome that is in danger of flaking off onto your food, just take a wire brush to it.
    JimW

• ronbeaux
    ronbeaux Posts: 988
    Options
    stike,
    I agree, at first I got e-mails saying how my egg was too clean. Wrap the temp probe, etc. Now if the daisey wheel sticks I just bang it on something until it frees up. You should see the pit my Grandad made 50 years ago!! Adds flavor I think.