Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Hop on down to your nearest EGG dealer this week to pick up some Easter EGGcessories! Here are a few that may be useful for Easter, the V-rack, electric charcoal lighter and flexible skewers! Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Cleaning the interior, exterior, daisy wheel, etc.

TomTom Posts: 189
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I searched the archives for answers and since many were from several years ago, I wanted some fresher opinions.[p]Is it necessary to clean the interior of the Egg, for example, the dome? I seem to think it's not necessary, but was just wondering. I do clean the grate, but usually that's it.[p]I noticed today what appear to be small cracks on the exterior. It appears to be the glaze. Anyone else notice this on their Egg? I cover it and just wondering if this is just something that happens over time.[p]The daisy wheel also has buildup on it. Any suggestions on how to clean it?[p]Thanks much. Sorry for so many questions.[p]Tom

Comments

• stikestike Posts: 15,597
    Tom,
    i don't know of many that clean the inside of the dome...[p]the cracks are normal. no worries.[p]i try not to mess with the daisy. i put it in the BGE after a cook, and any grease comes right off. the sooty stuff i just brush whatever's loose off if need be. don't get it too clean.

ed egli avea del cul fatto trombetta -Dante
  • JimWJimW Posts: 450
    Tom,
    If the daisy wheel gets really cruddy, put it in a bag with some ammonia, leave it for 24 hours and then clean it really good.[p]If there is some buildup in the dome that is in danger of flaking off onto your food, just take a wire brush to it.
    JimW

• ronbeauxronbeaux Posts: 988
    stike,
    I agree, at first I got e-mails saying how my egg was too clean. Wrap the temp probe, etc. Now if the daisey wheel sticks I just bang it on something until it frees up. You should see the pit my Grandad made 50 years ago!! Adds flavor I think.