Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicken breast - which brand is the most tender in your area?

Options
We cook a lot of chicken breasts weekly for salads and some meals. I'm always very careful when cooking them at around 275° dome temp and always pull them off at 155° so the residual cooking takes them to 160°. It seems more often than not they end up a little dry. We've had decent luck with Tyson but I'd like to hear from others who are pleased with how their chicken breasts turn out and what brand you use and how you cook them. Thanks!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

Comments

• saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I personaly dont buy anything Tyson. I've had good luck with Costco and Krogers organic brand. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• RaleighGuy
    RaleighGuy Posts: 207
    Options
    Try cooking hotter and pulling earlier. If boneless and skinless, I cook at 375-400 and pull at 150 or just a little more. Depending on size, usually takes 30-45 min. This is raised direct. 

Eddie

Raleigh, NC

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    I personaly dont buy anything Tyson. I've had good luck with Costco and Krogers organic brand. 
    We have both of those available here, thanks for the suggestion.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I buy whatever is cheapest and has a low enough sodium content listed. Sometimes Perdue, sometimes store brand. Those are the only ones I ever see. I've only seen Tyson in the frozen section and I never buy that.

I cook a lot of chicken, almost always at 400° raised direct. Whether parts or spatched. Breasts 160-165° thighs/legs, 175-180°. Always juicy and flavorful. Haven't had dry chicken in forever.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fljoemon
    fljoemon Posts: 757
    Options
    The Publix Greenwise Organic one is very tender ... so is WinnDixie Sanderson Farms .. which Publix just repackages and sells them as Greenwise.
    LBGE & Mini
    Orlando, FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Go a little more south on the bird and get boneless/skinless thighs and all will be good. I've never had good luck with boneless breast unless I brined them for a bit. 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • jls9595
    jls9595 Posts: 1,533
    Options
    I agree with hotter and faster. I do *400 raised direct like others have mentioned. Always juicy no matter what brand I buy. I have a bunch of Sam's brand in the freezer and coincidentally just got done cooking a couple.

Another tip is to pound to even thickness before cooking like I did on these big ladies:

In Manchester, TN
    Vol For Life!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    edited May 2015
    Options
    When I really want tender chicken breasts for a kick butt sandwich on a butter croissant with melted Munster and Havarti cheese I Jaccard them well and then marinate them in Frenches spicy Italian dressing. Those sandwiches ROCK! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    fljoemon said:
     WinnDixie Sanderson Farms .. 
    I find these ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ to be very good as well. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    Options
    In case someone isn't familiar with a Jaccard - here is my 48 bladed one that will tenderize any brand chicken breast! Just don't over do it!

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Bell and Evans. Fantastic flavor. They are based out of Pennsylvania and are also highly rated by sites like cooks illustrated. I used a jaccard to tenderize and help speed cooking or I'll pound it flat and grill if I'm chopping it for fajitas or salad. If I'm braising it, I just season and go.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    RRP said:
    In case someone isn't familiar with a Jaccard 

Question my friend. Have you ever tried it on one of those real small, reduced for quick sale flats? Just curious to the out come. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    I use Publix Greenwise exclusively with good results. 
  • RRP
    Options
    SGH said:
    RRP said:
    In case someone isn't familiar with a Jaccard 

Question my friend. Have you ever tried it on one of those real small, reduced for quick sale flats? Just curious to the out come. 
    No I have not - the only problem I see is "how long has that flat been" sitting out there unsold and handled. Point is the possible problem using a Jaccard is any BAD bacteria sitting on the surface of the meat gets pushed through to the interior of the meat. As long as it is cooked SOON and to the proper internal temperature then you should be OK.

OTOH a Jaccard can ruin an otherwise perfect cut of beef. I once very STUPIDLY Jaccarded a beautiful, dry aged boneless prime rib and it cooked up like 2# of cheap hamburger!
  • EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    Options
    Awesome tips and advice. Can't wait to try some new things regarding boneless/skinless chicken breasts. Really appreciate all the replies, what a great community we have here!

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    +1 for Bell and Evans.  Also Whole Foods brand chicken is very good and very cheap (not all whole foods is overpriced)
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is”