Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to cook a mess of wings, without flare-ups?

Options
KiterTodd
KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
I was thinking of doing some wings for Memorial Day again this year.  The results were stellar last year, the problem was as the fat dripped down on my foil wrapped plate setter, I had some flame issues.  Some down below and some on the plate setter that would spring up when I opened the top and (I guess) back down when I closed it.  Needless to say, I threw out some dead soldiers last year who took it for the team.

I have the AR this year so I was going to cooking two layers of wings at 350ish.  I'd use the AR stone on the bottom instead of the plate setter.  I have read people suggest that you can put a water pan in there with an air-gap, but I don't think I have room for that if I'm already setting up for two layers of meat.   Plus I'll have to lift out the entire assembly to rotate the wings from lower to upper rack and if there is a water pan in the mix...we'll that's just plain a mess waiting to happen.  Perhaps I'll just stick with one layer, the more I think about rotating wings the more I realize I don't want that job.  :o

Could go better than last year as I had cooked the wings after a long rib cook.  But, looking for tips all the same.

Thanks!
LBGE/Maryland

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Keep your vents closed down so there is not enough oxygen for the fat to flare up, but just enough to keep your temp.
    Options
    Or, with the AR you could do raised direct at a lower temp. Just have to flip more. 
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    Thanks.  Maybe I'll go with indirect at 300 or less.  Wings cook quick and I'd rather not have to tend to them tooooo much during a party.  

Last years ribs and wings were awesome, BUT, it did take more time than I cared for with wrapping ribs, saucing, slicing and then the wing inferno.  =)

This year I'm making a pork shoulder ahead of time (day before or early AM) and then wings day-of.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Try low and slow for a change-up. 250 indirect. Drip pan. Based on your rub/marinade can still get some crisp. Go for 2 1/2 hours and your friends will say they are the best wings they have EVER had. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Options
    Alton Brown did a recipe for Buffalo Wings in the home oven. To keep from smoking up the kitchen while baking the wings, he steamed them for ten minutes to render the fat. I did this once and finished on the Egg and they came out very good with little fat drippings. It actually worked rather well.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    I would go indirect @400° with a shallow drip pan with course salt in it. No need to flip. Will come out nice and crispy.
    GWN
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Alton Brown did a recipe for Buffalo Wings in the home oven. To keep from smoking up the kitchen while baking the wings, he steamed them for ten minutes to render the fat. I did this once and finished on the Egg and they came out very good with little fat drippings. It actually worked rather well.
    Not a bad idea when doing lots of wings. They are so fat laden, the steam or even a quick "blanch" will pull a ton of fat that otherwise might drip, out of them. We often steam or par boil when breading and deep frying, keeps the chicken fat in the fryer to a minimum. After the blanch or par boil, cooled in a colander. 

For true BBQ, I like @Nanook set-up, indirect at 400º with an air gapped drip pan (with or without the salt).  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    All great suggestions.  I have cooked chicken with nothing but a nekkid plate setter and I just kept the temp down a bit and there were no flare ups.  I was cooking around 300-325. 

Here is a vid from CGS and it looks like the stone is just loosely covered in foil, so I assume all the chicken grease is just running down into the fire.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvHPjLCsREw

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• DieselkW
    DieselkW Posts: 894
    Options
    I make wings raised direct - keeps them out of the flare up zone, and if I want I can put a cast iron pan on the lower grate with an inch of oil in it to finish the wings in hot oil after drenching in seasoned flour to crisp them up.

Indianapolis, IN

BBQ is a celebration of culture in America. It is the closest thing we have to the wines and cheeses of Europe. 

Drive a few hundred miles in any direction, and the experience changes dramatically. 

• KiterTodd
    Options
    DieselkW said:
    ...if I want I can put a cast iron pan on the lower grate with an inch of oil in it to finish the wings in hot oil after drenching in seasoned flour to crisp them up.
    Damn!  Now that's an idea!  (not for this cook, too many wings)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    if you can find a basket you can do alot, this was 20 on a mini.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1159852/who-needs-an-xl

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • KiterTodd
    Options
    20?   I can eat 20 without coming up for a beer.   I meant a LOT of wings...   ;)
    LBGE/Maryland
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Go indirect at 390-400 using the 30-20-10 method (30 mins one side flip, 20 mins pull and dip in sauce and back on for 10 minutes.  I use a PSwoo2 with plate setter and drip pan but AR would work set up indirect with drip pan if you have the sliding racks all the better.
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    Try low and slow for a change-up. 250 indirect. Drip pan. Based on your rub/marinade can still get some crisp. Go for 2 1/2 hours and your friends will say they are the best wings they have EVER had. 
    @THEBuckeye do you finish over some high heat when you cook this way or not?
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    The best wings I made were raised direct with a small fire at 275. The small fire increases the distance to the wings and reduces the amount of smoke from the fat. This would not require much attention, but you would have to cook in batches if you want to cook lots of wings.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I do my wings indirect at 300~. No issues, just flipping (which I enjoy).
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    20?   I can eat 20 without coming up for a beer.   I meant a LOT of wings...   ;)
    thats in a mini, in a large with the right basket you would be looking at a few hundred wings ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Aussie
    Aussie Posts: 75
    Options
    I did a heap recently , indirect at 380. I coated the wings with corn flour before throwing them on. The rendering fat turns the cornflour almost into a batter like texture. Pulled them off after checking with thermopen,  50 minutes cooking and coated them  in Franks Hot sauce. 
    Awesome
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I've gotten 36 whole wings on my large with an extra grid and did them 400-425 indirect then got direct for a few minutes at the end for a char on a few. No flare ups. Super crispy with only a few hours uncovered in fridge. I've done a spatch with same set up and no dry time in the fridge and gotten it crispy. I don't use may oil on the chickens before rubs though. 

Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    KiterTodd said:
    Seems that we have something in common my friend. I can eat 20 while I'm waiting on the main course to cook.  I respect a man of large appetite. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• jeroldharter
    jeroldharter Posts: 556
    Options
    You might consider a large drip pan, on foil balls, filled with cut potatoes and or carrots.
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    My drip pan and air gap maker
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    edited May 2015
    Options
    mahenryak said:
    @THEBuckeye do you finish over some high heat when you cook this way or not?
    This is how I cook Jerk Wings, low and slow, usually along with breasts and quarters and some pimento chips smoke.  I don't finish these but I also will cook wings raised direct at 375 and after drying all day uncovered in the fridge they come out crispy and tender. 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Options
    ^^Thank you^^
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore