Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Oh yeah, almost forgot, how do you prep wings?

Options
YukonRon
YukonRon Posts: 16,989
I have seen a lot of chatter on wings, what are the parameters for cooking killer wings?
"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
Louisville, Kentucky

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do you want crispy skin?
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Do you want crispy skin?

Well I think it will be mostly the Bohemian types in attendance so, sure...

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    For crispy skin I put uncovered over-night in the fridge then dust with a light amount of corn starch before tossing on the BGE.  Seasoning is a matter of personal choice. 
    And I have been back and forth with cooking raised direct or indirect and am now in the raised (around 3-4 " above the gasket line) direct camp.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    For crispy skin I put uncovered over-night in the fridge then dust with a light amount of corn starch before tossing on the BGE.  Seasoning is a matter of personal choice. 
    And I have been back and forth with cooking raised direct or indirect and am now in the raised (around 3-4 " above the gasket line) direct camp.  FWIW-
    Do you soak them in anything or just let them sit au natural?

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,353
    Options
    Au natural (actually on some paper towels to absorb the moisture.) I'm sure others will be along as wings are very popular and can be quite personal:)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Au natural (actually on some paper towels to absorb the moisture.) I'm sure others will be along as wings are very popular and can be quite personal:)
    Thank you for the info

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,619
    Options
    I don't always plan ahead enough for the fridge sit.  I'll rinse and paper-towel them dry, then hit with corn starch or baking powder, then rub.  or if really in a hurry, mix into the rub and coat once, then onto the egg.  better to airdry in the fridge, but you can still get them crispy otherwise.

I usually cook raised indirect at 375ish, then toss in sauce when they're done.  I like well done wings, this works for me.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    What lou said. Overnight in the fridge to dry out. I have marinated them for a day in rub and cornstarch(dry-brine, if you will) and then cooked. They where fantastic. I toss them with a little sauce and put them back on the grill for 5-10 minutes to set the glaze.

@Cazzy has a fantastic sticky wing recipe
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    +1 frig on a wire rack so there's airflow under them and I do my rub before they go into the fridge for roughly 24hrs. Sometimes I go indirect, raised indirect, direct or raised direct. When I have a bunch to do I normally go indirect with the first bunch on one grid and the second bunch on the raised grid and then move em around as needed. If Saucing or glazing is desired I normally do it during the last 15-20 minutes except on specialized cooks where sauce is going on throughout the cook with a much lower pit temp. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    For crispy skin (and who doesn't want that?), I've had great success with a 3:1 rub:cornstarch ratio.  Into the fridge overnight on a wire rack/cookie cooling thingy, sitting in a sheet pan so there's air circulation all around the rubbed/starched wings.  I'll cook them raised direct or indirect -- doesn't matter much -- at about 375-400, with alot of turning, watching to keep them from burning, especially if it's direct.  Because my peeps can't agree on anything, when they're close to done, I'll usually toss 1/2 the batch in sauce and finish on the grid -- 10-15 minutes so the sauce sets up.  The other 1/2 stay nekkid.  All of them disappear before the end of the debate about which kind is better. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • YukonRon
    Options
    Legume said:
    I don't always plan ahead enough for the fridge sit.  I'll rinse and paper-towel them dry, then hit with corn starch or baking powder, then rub.  or if really in a hurry, mix into the rub and coat once, then onto the egg.  better to airdry in the fridge, but you can still get them crispy otherwise.

I usually cook raised indirect at 375ish, then toss in sauce when they're done.  I like well done wings, this works for me.
    Thank you for the help!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options
    +1 frig on a wire rack so there's airflow under them and I do my rub before they go into the fridge for roughly 24hrs. Sometimes I go indirect, raised indirect, direct or raised direct. When I have a bunch to do I normally go indirect with the first bunch on one grid and the second bunch on the raised grid and then move em around as needed. If Saucing or glazing is desired I normally do it during the last 15-20 minutes except on specialized cooks where sauce is going on throughout the cook with a much lower pit temp. 
    Thank you so much for the tips, I appreciate the education

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

For crispy skin (and who doesn't want that?), I've had great success with a 3:1 rub:cornstarch ratio.  Into the fridge overnight on a wire rack/cookie cooling thingy, sitting in a sheet pan so there's air circulation all around the rubbed/starched wings.  I'll cook them raised direct or indirect -- doesn't matter much -- at about 375-400, with alot of turning, watching to keep them from burning, especially if it's direct.  Because my peeps can't agree on anything, when they're close to done, I'll usually toss 1/2 the batch in sauce and finish on the grid -- 10-15 minutes so the sauce sets up.  The other 1/2 stay nekkid.  All of them disappear before the end of the debate about which kind is better. 
    Saul Bellow fan? Thank you for the help, I am still getting my legs under me and this helps tremendously.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • YukonRon
    Options

What lou said. Overnight in the fridge to dry out. I have marinated them for a day in rub and cornstarch(dry-brine, if you will) and then cooked. They where fantastic. I toss them with a little sauce and put them back on the grill for 5-10 minutes to set the glaze.

@Cazzy has a fantastic sticky wing recipe
    Thank you so very much with your insight. Very much appreciated.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    @YukonRon -- you found me out. Big character. Too funny.

Enjoy the process of perfecting your wings. You never get there, but it's the ride that matters!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • YukonRon
    Options
    @YukonRon -- you found me out. Big character. Too funny.

Enjoy the process of perfecting your wings. You never get there, but it's the ride that matters!
    On my dissertation for American Lit, I chose Bellow and Henderson. Labor of love, real treat for me. Thanks for the encouragement!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • B&BKnox
    B&BKnox Posts: 283
    Options
    Follow this method and you cannot go wrong.  Sauce and rubs you use can vary depending on your taste and yes refrigerate on a cooling rack for 1 hour to allow the skin to dry (pat dry first if wet)  and a touch of corn starch to the rub helps as well.

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/06/30-20-10-smoked-hot-wings.html
    Be Well

Knoxville TN
  • YukonRon
    Options
    B&BKnox said:
    Follow this method and you cannot go wrong.  Sauce and rubs you use can vary depending on your taste and yes refrigerate on a cooling rack for 1 hour to allow the skin to dry (pat dry first if wet)  and a touch of corn starch to the rub helps as well.

http://www.nibblemethis.com/2009/06/30-20-10-smoked-hot-wings.html
    Hey thanks so much, appreciate the link!

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky