Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs

Options
For my second low and slow cook on the bge I decided to try my hand at some beef ribs.  I'm not even 100% sure that I've eaten beef ribs before, at least not like these.  I know I've had beef short ribs, but these ribs from the chuck were looking pretty unfamiliar to me.  No matter, I followed my standard beef smoking procedure.  I know that dalmatian rub is really popular for beef, but I like a little more spice in mine, so I make my own rub.  I call it catahoula rub; 1 cup each salt and pepper, 1/2 cup dried parsley, 1/2 cup dried basil, 1/4 cup best quality chili powder you can find.  I slathered them in cym and covered them thoroughly in catahoula rub, stuck them in at 250°F and went to bed.  7.5 hours later I pulled them off.  The exterior of the rib is too tough, but they still fall apart when you pick them up and the inside portions are like butter.  I'd give the taste 10/10, but next time I may go lower and slower to try to get a more tender bark.  Any suggestions? 

Click here for pictures -------> http://imgur.com/a/6Bxdy

Comments

• Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    You said they were chuck ribs but they look more like back ribs which are from the loin section.  Short ribs can be from the plate or chuck section.

When I've cooked short ribs, I usually cook them at 250 for about 5 hours.  I check them for tenderness and leave them longer if they aren't tender, but they usually are.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    @nolabrew - Were they chuck ribs or back ribs?
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA