Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How to prepare Tofu

Options

Comments

• tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    It's funny when I looked at the thread title I knew exactly what this would say...and I was right. 
    So you wasn't expecting a picture of tofu from me?  :tongue: 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Well, I thought maybe there was some strange family member, but my instructions were going to be the above.  =)
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited May 2015
    Options
    We all seem to be on the same age here :lol:  

I have never had tofu. One of these days, maybe I'll try it. You never know, I guess, but it does have a bad rep.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sadly I've had tofu. But, not since the 80s. I hear it's excellent egged wrapped in bacon. :lol: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options

I sadly admit that I like tofu.  Look up Ma-Po Tofu recipe it's good stuff.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    So you wasn't expecting a picture of tofu from me?  :tongue: 
    Brother tar, I'm thankful that you were not posting tofu. If this would have turned out to be a tofu post, me and you would have no longer been friends.  You had me worried for a moment my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Brother tar, you owe me 4 rib eyes just for saying the word tofu ;)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SmyrnaGA
    SmyrnaGA Posts: 438
    Options
    Grilled Tofu is okay.  (SHMBO loves the stuff)  You start with firm tofu (since the soft kind would fall right through the grate), marinate it for a hour, (tofu has no taste), then grill it similar to fish.

it can take on any flavor.  Depending on how much drying you do, it can take on all kinds of textures.

Large BGE, Small BGE, KJ Jr, and a Cracked Vision Kub.

in Smyrna GA.

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,570
    Options
    Slow day at work Matt... But I must admit you got me.. =)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SGH
    Options
    Slow day at work Matt... But I must admit you got me.. =)
    He got me too. I was furious until I opened it. 

Status- Standing by.

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    SmyrnaGA said:
    Grilled Tofu is okay.  (SHMBO loves the stuff)  You start with firm tofu (since the soft kind would fall right through the grate), marinate it for a hour, (tofu has no taste), then grill it similar to fish.

it can take on any flavor.  Depending on how much drying you do, it can take on all kinds of textures.

I agree with this - well marinated or well sauced tofu is perfectly fine on occasion.  Also, Miso Soup and Hot & Sour Soup are both fantastic.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    edited May 2015
    Options
    I wonder if you could soak that tofu in oil and use it to light the egg. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Right on dude!
    My experience with That stuff was on a flight over to Europe, our last trip to France, and SWMBO decided for us to go vegetarian for the trip, due to my health. That idea lasted until when the flight meal was served. I sent mine back. I like my protein to have eyes.
    I can't even type the name of that stuff
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SGH
    Options
    That's about all its good for brother. 

Status- Standing by.

• Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    Options
    "Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    I wouldn't risk it - I heard tofu is what put Bruce Jenner on his current path...
    Phoenix 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    I won't ever try a tofu burger or tofurkey.  But I do use tofu in some of the asian dishes I cook.  My favorite way to prefer tofu is to marinate it in teriyaki sauce and then deep fry it.  I love Miso soup which has little cubes of tofu in it.
    For me, tofu has it's place, but it is never a meat substitute.  I like tofu in my Sukiyaki, in my Pad Thai, et al.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I've only used it a few times and all were in the wok. It added a different layer to the pad Thai but other than that it's a No Bueno 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I like tofu.  You're a homo sapien if you hate it.
    Options
    I like it and use it occasionally.  the only time I've thought it was decent masquerading as meat is soyrizo which works really well for making chorizo and egg tacos.  the biggest difference is you don't get those questionable chewy bits in the soyrizo that you get in the authentic mexican-style chorizo
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Got some interesting takes on tofu for sure.  Personally, I have never cooked with it, however I have eaten it occasionally when it's in dishes, mostly Asian dishes.  

Would be a neat throwdown to hold where the main ingredient is tofu.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    Mapo tofu is the bomb.  It's a delivery system for ground pork and hot pepper. Tofu may be in the name, but don't be fooled -- it's all about pig and heat.  
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • SkySaw
    SkySaw Posts: 656
    Options
    Tofu really benefits from hitting it with a bit of smoke. Smoke adds that umami flavour and sweetness that makes everything better. I marinate ¼ thick slices of extra-firm tofu in equal parts soy sauce, balsamic vinegar, and vegetable stock with 4 cloves of smashed garlic and then grill it in a 400º Egg for about 5 minutes a side, or until golden and a little crispy. There are never leftovers.