Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My Husband Put Me Up To This

Options
Sookie
Sookie Posts: 335

I'm always telling the SU (Spousal Unit, which I believe is the opposite for we gals of an SWMBO) about all the neat stuff I find that you all post on this forum.  You may not know this, but you folks at times define what I buy in terms of gadgets, and what I cook or what spices to use.  You are sooo controlling! (eye roll!)

So, when he texted me the next day after I made these, from work, out of the blue, and told me how good dinner was last night and that I should share it with you....well what kind of wife would be if I disobeyed. 

I bought a whole pork loin from our local GFS store ($1.99/lb).  I cut some thick chops myself from it, using my Pampered Chef server as a thickness gauge.  I used a sharp cheese knife so as not to tear up the delicate pork meat :)

I marinated them for a while with Dale's Steak Seasoning (been using this stuff now over 20 years and I'm just realizing we are now in a long term relationship), and then brushed some Sriracha on (if you don't marinade, it adds a little spicy flavor but very low key and not overwhelming) and some brown sugar.  Oh.  Lets not forget the bacon around the edges.  Bacon is (as we all know)  God's back up plan to the rainbow.  The promise that everything will be all right.  Bacon came in at $5.99 for a 3 lb package, again at my local GFS store.  Sorry, but I love a bargain. 

Anyway we grilled.  Then we marveled at the wonders we had made.  Then we ate.  All my best, LG

Comments

• Sookie
    Options

LOL being a new picture poster, the pics are out of order, but you get the idea.  

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me. Great looking grub. Hint: That Dales pictured above is a killer marinade for thin cut pork steaks. Trust me on that one. I didn't get fat by eating bad tasting food  ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Looks great. Thanks for sharing the details. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Feel free to cook for my tribe anytime.
    awesome cook!
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    :clap: 
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Looks great! Love me some Dales!!
    GWN
  • Sookie
    Options
    SGH said:
    Looks like a winner to me. Great looking grub. Hint: That Dales pictured above is a killer marinade for thin cut pork steaks. Trust me on that one. I didn't get fat by eating bad tasting food 
    There isn't much I haven't tried Dale's on  :)  Fish was a little tricky because it is so absorbent and the Dale's is so sodium heavy that I suggest if you use it for fish or seafood, try only a little bit.  Otherwise it's really good on chicken too :)
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    You should really post more cooks!  Awesomeness  
  • SGH
    Options
    @Sookie- At one time or another I have tried Dales on just about everything. My wife really likes the Dales so I kind of have to like it too!! I tell you something else it's great on. Double D (DD) sausage. If you like sausage and Dales sauce, the combination is killer. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @Sookie I am not a big fan of pork chops but those some great chops. I could eat all three.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Sookie
    Options
    Hotch said:
    @Sookie I am not a big fan of pork chops but those some great chops. I could eat all three.

The fourth I brought in to work today for a co-worker, whose birthday was today.  I vacuum sealed it so that when he reheated it was still juicy, and he said it was the best thing he had eaten in a long time. 

Honestly, in my opinion and I know there are rebels out there that already figured this out before it was official, since the FDA lowered the required cooking temps of pork, the chops have been much tastier.  I always followed the rules and cooked the crap out of pork, and now that you can have pork that is pink and tender, it's a different ball game. 

• SGH
    Options
    Sookie said:
    I always followed the rules and cooked the crap out of pork, 
    Now you have seen the light sister. Rules are made to be broken, not followed. 

Status- Standing by.

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Looks great!!  Now I know what the hell I can use that cheese knife I bought for other than collecting dust, ha!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Sookie
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Looks great!!  Now I know what the hell I can use that cheese knife I bought for other than collecting dust, ha!

Honestly I love mine.  I also use it for basically making "pockets" in chicken breasts that I can stuff with ham/bacon, cheese, spicy mustard or spices, etc to do stuffed chicken breasts.  The pointy tip is great for getting in deep without slicing through the whole piece of meat.   As for the chicken, I wrap those in bacon too.   There is a theme. 
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    Options
    @Sookie I think that was it. Growing up all of the chops we had were pan fried and way over cooked. More like a hockey puck.
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • SGH
    Options
    @Sookie- Sister I was reading your writing above about stuffing breast. Give stuffed thighs a try sometime. Debone them and stuff them with cream cheese, jalapeño's and jibbled up bacon and then wrap them in bacon. They are outstanding to say the least. Tip: since they are deboned and stuffed, pull them at 160 internal temp instead of the recommended higher FDA temp. 

Status- Standing by.

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    My new favorite thing is to do the same thing when pork loins are on sale but cut them even thicker, maybe 3 inch chops.  Cooked to 135 internal.  Freaking fantastic.  Yours look amazing as well. 
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • Sookie
    Options

LOL I hear ya Yolk.  I'll work on it, I promise :)

• Sookie
    Options
    SGH said:
    @Sookie- Sister I was reading your writing above about stuffing breast. Give stuffed thighs a try sometime. Debone them and stuff them with cream cheese, jalapeño's and jibbled up bacon and then wrap them in bacon. They are outstanding to say the least. Tip: since they are deboned and stuffed, pull them at 160 internal temp instead of the recommended higher FDA temp. 
    OMG this sounds right up my alley.   Do you smoke them too and if so what type of wood?  I'm partial to apple for chicken myself. 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Excellent cook, no wonder it has the SU seal of approval. 
    My new favorite thing is to do the same thing when pork loins are on sale but cut them even thicker, maybe 3 inch chops.  Cooked to 135 internal.  Freaking fantastic.  Yours look amazing as well. 
    Ah, I think a 3" thick cut is a roast, not a chop - just saying..... ;)
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Sookie Dayumn! That is all! Oh and Nom Nom Nom :wink: 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SGH
    Options
    @Sookie- Apple wood works great but as of late I have been using either oak or pecan because they are abundant on my property. Apple gives you a little more of a safety margin though. It's a tad easier to over smoke poultry with oak or pecan than it is with Apple. If it will post, here is a pic of one.

Status- Standing by.

• Sookie
    Options

@sgh That looks a little jalapeno heavy for me, but that's what this is all about.  Idea sharing.  I love it.   I would probably dice the peppers, so it's not overwhelming for me.  Thanks fore sharing!!!   Take care brother. 

• Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    If you like Dales but find the salt can overpower quickly. You should try Moores. Very similar in flavor but not nearly as salty. Though after 20 years I reckon you like the dales just fine!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    Options
    SU is very wise.
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Your hubby needs to put you up to stuff more often! Damn fine cook :) 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Great looking grub, and an entertaining post.
    Phoenix 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great looking chops Sookie!  I'm glad your SU encouraged you to post.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• mwatts
    mwatts Posts: 122
    Options

Looks wonderful. Thanks for sharing

Extra Large, Large, DigiQII, Thermapen, Adjustable Rig