Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turbo Ribs Questions for 6 full racks

Options
I've done turbo ribs a few times and each time they keep getting better.  I usually do 2-3 racks flat.  

This weekend I'm going to do 6 full racks of baby backs.  I have a rib rack I can use and they will not be flat.  Couple questions.

1.  Does cooking vertical vs. horizontal change the timing at all?  Do they come out the same?

2.  The 2 ribs on each end of the rack get cooked to hell.  Pretty much are inedible unless someone likes shoe leather.  That's 24 bones.  That's a lot of ribs to waste.  Any idea to reduce that problem?

Thanks!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Strongsville, Ohio

Yes.  I own a blue egg!  Call Atlanta if you don't believe me!
[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

Comments

• Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    Options
    After the first 45 minutes or so flip the ribs so that the same side isn't facing the heat deflector the entire time. When you do this lightly wrap the edge bones in foil and that should keep them from being scorched. Might make them a little more tender but far from inedible.
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • fiver29
    fiver29 Posts: 628
    Options
    Think I should do just 1 flip and foil the ends?  And let it go from there?  When you say flip do you mean 180 degree flip (end over end) or rotate the rack?

I usually use mustard on the ribs.  Will it cook off or will it be left on in places since they are so close on the rack?

Thanks.  Just putting the gameplan together in my mind.
    Strongsville, Ohio

[I put this here so everyone knows when I put pictures up with a blue egg in it]

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Maybe skewers?  Check out some of the unique solutions below for ideas:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/680379/make-room-for-more-ribs

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1170215/sunday-spares-on-the-small

http://eggheadforum.com/search?Search=rolled+ribs+skewer

I have also seen pictures recently of skewers inserted through ribs in parallel to keep them all standing on edge (might have been @nolaegghead who posted the pics but I'm not certain).

LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• fiver29
    Options
    That definitely has me thinking.  I'm not completely sure what I'm going to do at this point.  I'm really looking into all the options.
    Strongsville, Ohio

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Cut 'em in half and buy another egg  =)

love your avatar 
  • Cowdogs
    Cowdogs Posts: 491
    Options
    Get an XL.  Send me the large blue green egg.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    looks like Legume beat me to it about cutting them in half - BUT - I want to go ahead and ask another related question. I have always found it easier to cut my racks in half and the results are easier to control that way. Do eggers always serve their guests a WHOLE rack of ribs? Man I don't even serve myself a whole rack! Let alone my guests! I have never understood the reluctance to cutting racks in half. Is it a "pureist" attitude? BUT if so then WHY?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fiver29
    Options
    I do have 2 large eggs.  I keep one at my place and one at my parents house.  I'm cooking at my parents house.  They have a pool so I like showing off the egg to family on our swimming get togethers.  So I only have access to 1 egg at a time.  

I've really been looking into the rolled ribs.  But I'm leaning towards rib rack with foiling the ends after about 45 minutes.
    Strongsville, Ohio

• fiver29
    edited May 2015
    Options
    RRP said:
    looks like Legume beat me to it about cutting them in half - BUT - I want to go ahead and ask another related question. I have always found it easier to cut my racks in half and the results are easier to control that way. Do eggers always serve their guests a WHOLE rack of ribs? Man I don't even serve myself a whole rack! Let alone my guests! I have never understood the reluctance to cutting racks in half. Is it a "pureist" attitude? BUT if so then WHY?
    I usually cut them into 3 bone servings.  Or I cut them into 1 bone servings and let people get what they want.  So I'm not opposed to cutting them in half.  Let's say I cut them in half.  I suppose I could try and do 2 levels with 2 rib racks.  How do you do the bend test?
    Strongsville, Ohio

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    Toothpick, or you can bend them, you can tell
  • Scottborasjr
    Scottborasjr Posts: 3,494
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here's another way I've done with lot's of success. I would think that you could finish them in stages after the foil stage. A legend around these parts, Car Wash Mike posted these nearly five years ago god rest his soul.  

http://www.eggheadforum.com/index.php?option=com_simpleboard&func=view&id=891917&catid=1
    I raise my kids, cook and golf.  When work gets in the way I'm pissed, I'm pissed off 48 weeks a year.
    Inbetween Iowa and Colorado, not close to anything remotely entertaining outside of football season. 
  • fiver29
    Options
    I really miss CWM posts.  Thanks for sharing that.  Hadn't seen that one before.
    Strongsville, Ohio

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    I always cut mine in half.  
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    fiver29 said:
    RRP said:
    I usually cut them into 3 bone servings.  Or I cut them into 1 bone servings and let people get what they want.  So I'm not opposed to cutting them in half.  Let's say I cut them in half.  I suppose I could try and do 2 levels with 2 rib racks.  How do you do the bend test?
    Since I cut mine in half I have never been a "bend test guy"! Instead I have learned to read the bone pull back etc - but the REAL secret??? I use my trustworthy Thermapen and if I get several readings of 198 to 200 tops of the meat between the bones then I know I'm in perfection city...but don't tell my secret LOL!!!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fiver29
    Options
    Awesome @RRP I'm going to cut in half and see if I can do 2 levels.  If I can I will use the thermapen and check for around 200!
    Strongsville, Ohio