Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket purists beware

Options
2»

Comments

• cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Walt2015 said:
    First off, thanks for all the advice. This thing was much better than expected. A little dryer than the packers I have done but I will wrap in something from now on as I do think we like the texture better. The thing ended up cooking about 8 hours and still not quite like butter even though it was foiled for several hours. 

Served with homemade bbq sauce based off of the one from Franklin's book. Ran out of Ketchup so had to improvise with sriracha but it was pretty tasty. 

Here she is. 

Looks good!  Flat by itself is hard so props to you.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • jak7028
    jak7028 Posts: 231
    Options
    I have only done one flat also.  I am no brisket expert, but I won't do another one.  It was ok, but not something worth making again.
    Victoria, TX - 1 Large BGE and a 36" Blackstone
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    @Raymont This may help your other post question. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    Looks good.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Flats are much more of a challenge to hit the sweet-spot than the packer.  The lean nature of the hunk of beef gives you a very narrow window for the finish-line.  That said, your cook looks great.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options
    As far as the water in the drip pan, I usually do it.  It's not for moisture for the brisket, it's moisture for the air.  From what I've read (Harold McGee, Dr Blonder) that helps the nitrogen dioxide from the burned wood/coal convert to nitric oxide which binds with the myoglobin in the meat (the red stuff that comes out of packaged meat that people call "blood") which keeps the color pink (smoke ring) while the rest of the meat turns brown.  So I don't have to use it, but I find I get a better smoke ring when I do. 

As far as temps, at home I like to do 225°F dome for the first 90 minutes to 2 hours and then I go up to 275°F for the remainder.  At competitions, I got 290°F the whole way.

Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    As far as the water in the drip pan, I usually do it.  It's not for moisture for the brisket, it's moisture for the air.  From what I've read (Harold McGee, Dr Blonder) that helps the nitrogen dioxide from the burned wood/coal convert to nitric oxide which binds with the myoglobin in the meat (the red stuff that comes out of packaged meat that people call "blood") which keeps the color pink (smoke ring) while the rest of the meat turns brown.  So I don't have to use it, but I find I get a better smoke ring when I do. 

As far as temps, at home I like to do 225°F dome for the first 90 minutes to 2 hours and then I go up to 275°F for the remainder.  At competitions, I got 290°F the whole way.

@NibbleMeThis- great info- thanks for sharing.  Just curious- for comps is do you go 290 simply because you don't have enough time or is there some other reason?  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• NibbleMeThis
    NibbleMeThis Posts: 2,295
    Options

@NibbleMeThis- great info- thanks for sharing.  Just curious- for comps is do you go 290 simply because you don't have enough time or is there some other reason?  
    Last year I did 275°F at comps but struggled a bit.  Got some help from the team that won KCBS Team of the Year last year and they recommended coming up some in temp.  Did that and got 3rd in brisket this past weekend so I guess I'm sticking with 290°F from now on, lol.
    Knoxville, TN
    Nibble Me This