Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

One last Q. Fat cap up or down??

Options
Mik of Alaska
Mik of Alaska Posts: 96
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
Thanks for all the info on the rub and mustard tricks but now I need to know if I should put the fat side up or down. I've read a lot of differance on this one so the highest number of responces wins. I'll let you know how it turns out. Mik

Comments

• Parrothead
    Parrothead Posts: 101
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,
    Personally, I like mine cap down. I like to have the flavorful charred crust on the usable portion of the meat. No sense in wasting all that good rub and smoke flavor!![p]Wobbly pops to ya![p]Chris

Wobbly Pops to ya, Chris
  • Madhatter
    Madhatter Posts: 139
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,[p]I vote down...

• Eggecutioner
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,[p]
    Down.

• clausenk
    clausenk Posts: 93
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,[p]DOWN!

• Popsicle
    Popsicle Posts: 523
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,
    I guess I’m in the minority but I always put mine up. Love that self basting.

Willis Tx.
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    Mik,[p]This is an excerpt from Paul Kirk's book on the subject of cooking briskets-[p]"Place brisket on the pit, fat side down. Cover and cook at 230 to 250 degrees for 45 minutes to 1 hour per pound, turning it halfway through, then turning it again three quarters of the way through (if you are cooking for 12 hours, then haftime would be 6 hours and three quarters would be 8 hours). To test for doneness, pierce the brisket against the grain with a fork; if it goes in easily and pulls out without resistance, the brisket is done."[p]-Smitty

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,[p]I thought you were doing pork buts. If so, I usually do them fat cap up, but I have had equal
    success with fat cap down. Your subject posting generally relates to a brisket cook. [p]Ping me if you want my brisket data. [p]Bryan

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,[p]Yeah, I assumed brisket. [p]Pork butts are better anyway. :)

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Mik of Alaska
    Options
    BabyBoomBBQ,
    Oops. I guess I figured others read my last post on the pork butt. Guess I'll just have to go with the flow and flip a coin. Thanks again. Mik

• BabyBoomBBQ
    BabyBoomBBQ Posts: 703
    Options
    Mik of Alaska,[p]They will be great either way, but remember all of these replies were probably addressing a brisket cook. I'm getting two butts ready to go on today about 8-9PM CA time. The whole cryopac only weighs 13 lbs, so they aren't giants like yours. I'll be cooking them fat cap up. If I have too much fun at happy hour and dinner, who knows where the cap will end up. ;-)[p]Good luck!