Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bacon...help

jcaspary
jcaspary Posts: 1,479
I see a lot of people here making bacon and would like to get some input.  How hard is it to make and is it really worth it?   I've seen that the taste is generally very good but is the taste worth the expense and the time put in to make it? Also do you need any equipment to make it?    I have a L and an XL but nothing else.  Thoughts???  Recipes would be helpful if you have them.  Thanks.  
XL BGE, LG BGE, and a hunger to grill everything in sight!!!
Joe- Strongsville, OH

Comments

• http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/making_bacon_from_scratch.html

Follow the simple bacon recipe.  It's well worth it.  My only regret was that I started with just 3lbs of pork belly instead of making more.  Ohh well, it's off to the butcher shop I go. 

1 XLBGE and 1 MiniMax

Madison, AL

Life is good, why wouldn’t it be, I’m a Pirate after all. 

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    It's super easy.  Ruhlmans basic cure for about a week flipping every other day. Rinse, dry, smoke hot to 150 ish. Par freeze and slice. I like to add maple syrup to the cure for sweet bacon, but you can flavor however you'd like. 

I can buy belly skin on for 2.29 a pound and flavor how I want, plus make cracklings. Grocery store bacon is close to 5.00 a pound. 
  • jcaspary
    Thanks for the tips guys.  Anyone do cold smoking or do you need other things to do this?
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    You'll want to get 2 gallon zip lock bags and large foil roasting pans to cure the belly in. Do skin on!  +1 @theyolksonyou using Ruhlmans basic and then go from there. Most important thing I've learned is to soak the cured belly 30 minutes rather than just rinsing it. If you just rinse it ends up too salty.  Then smoke with applewood to 150.  Trim the skin off while still warm. Also, if you want it easy, buy an electric slicer (80-120 bucks). Worth every penny!  Especially if you cure 10 lbs!  Have fun!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    @theyolksonyou Where are you getting belly for that price?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I bought the amazing smoker and cold smoked my last batch of bacon, turned out great. I did applewood, next time I will try hickory.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • theyolksonyou
    @dmw there's a processor, read slaughterhouse, that sells to the public about 30 miles from me in Calhoun GA.  I'm down that way 3-4 times a week for work.  Just throw a cooler in the trunk. 
  • NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    I haven't done belly bacon yet. Did some buckboard (butt) bacon and it was excellent. We used it mostly for pasta carbonara which is a great weeknight meal. best of luck. 
    Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.
  • jcaspary
    If you smoke it to 150 is t it cooked already?   Will it get somewhat to really crispy?   The wife likes it crispy.  I like it less so. 
    Joe- Strongsville, OH
  • theyolksonyou
    jcaspary said:
    If you smoke it to 150 is t it cooked already?   Will it get somewhat to really crispy?   The wife likes it crispy.  I like it less so. 
    Nope, it'll be floppy. Still have to fry it after you slice. My first batch I smoked to 160 and rendered too much of the fat. Didn't fry well.  I'm going to try 145 on the next batch. 

Some folks cold smoke, but I haven't attempted that. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2015
    I pay around $2.00/ lb. I buy it through my work. 
    I have only cold smoked mine as I don't understand why some hot smoke when they still have to fry it after.  Just pick up AMNPS and your set for cold smoking. Not just for bacon but, cheese, sausages
  • Jcacavias
    Jcacavias Posts: 137
    @theyolksonyou Can you share the name of the place you buy from?  That's about 40-50 miles from me and I make it up that way sometimes.  Right now I'm buying belly at $3.99 / lb at the Dekalb Farmer's Market.
  • theyolksonyou
    @Jcacavias it's Sheriffs meat processing. It's located east of I75 off exit 312