Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

brisket purists beware

Options
Walt2015
Walt2015 Posts: 583
edited May 2015 in EggHead Forum
my mother really likes when I cook brisket, so Friday she dropped off this 3.5# flat and asked if I'd throw it on the grill sometime this weekend. Who am I to turn down a reason to smoke a brisket? A few problems though--I've only done packers in past and this is a small flat. Went out to fire up the grill....no oak, no hickory, nothing that's ever even seen Texas so I'm going with what I've got-- pecan and peach. For the rub went with salt, pepper, garlic and a little dizzy dust. A few bud lights in the drip pan (I'll appreciate any, even negligible, added moisture to keep this thing from drying out) 

on at 0830 trying to run 275. No idea if this is going to run 1.5 or 2 hr/lb but can eat for lunch of delivery it for dinner, so no rush. 

More pictures to follow. Fingers crossed. 

Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN

Comments

• EggHead_Bubba
    EggHead_Bubba Posts: 566
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @Walt2015... I only cook full packers mostly although I did a point recently which was really good.

Anyway, I never cook brisket without a water pan that stays full throughout the cook. Personally I'd back off the temp a bit and cook at 250°. 

I almost always never wrap the packers I cook unless I feel it has taken on enough smoke or the bark is at risk of getting too dark. With a flat, I would think you may need to wrap it at some point to keep as much moisture as possible. I would also spritz it with a 50/50 mix of apple juice and water every hour.

Can't wait to see the finished product, good luck!

Rocky Top, TN — Large BGE • Cast Iron Grate & Platesetter • Rockwood Lump

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Yeah, I was thinking that some foil might be useful on this cook. 

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    I used to use water pans with my brisket too, but then I learned here that all it does is lengthen the cook.  Next time, just use a drip pan with the brisket.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina... I like the water pan because it buffers the heat from my cast iron platesetter and keeps the bottom of whatever I'm cooking from cooking faster than the rest. Plus it adds humidity to the cook. I don't plan the longer cook time, I just plan for that before I start.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina... I like the water pan because it buffers the heat from my cast iron platesetter and keeps the bottom of whatever I'm cooking from cooking faster than the rest. Plus it adds humidity to the cook. I don't plan the longer cook time, I just plan for that before I start.
    Hmmm... I guess it could work as a heat buffer, though I think a drip pan with just air in it works fine as well.  As for humidity I'm not sure what the point is there.  I think there's this notion that this will lead to more moisture in the brisket, and I don't think that's correct.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Hmmm... I guess it could work as a heat buffer, though I think a drip pan with just air in it works fine as well.  As for humidity I'm not sure what the point is there.  I think there's this notion that this will lead to more moisture in the brisket, and I don't think that's correct.
    I personally never use a drip pan and never had a problem on the egg with the bottom.  I do I have the stone on the bottom tier, then a drip pan on the 2nd teir.  I have experimented with a water pan in the egg to see if it would help the smoke ring and it was still hit or miss. Ultimately, unlike an offset, the egg has enough humidity without a water pan.

If the surface does appear to be drying out, I will spritz.  
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    OP...if I was cooking a flat, I would cook it at 225 till the bark sets, then I would wrap it and raise the temp.  Likely in foil and not butcher paper.  
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Thanks @JohnInCarolina... using the water pan under brisket has always been my go to. I'm always open to trying new things and with what you said about it not adding moisture to the brisket, I just may try the pan only with no water next time and see how it compares. I learn something new about BBQ every day and love trying new techniques along the way. Appreciate it brother!

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    Cazzy, why foil instead of butcher paper?   I thought foil was a thing of the past?
    Phoenix 
  • cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    blasting said:
    Cazzy, why foil instead of butcher paper?   I thought foil was a thing of the past?
    I wrap all my packers in paper, but I suggest foil for a flat because it is just a tiny fish in a big sea.  No big brother point protecting him and if it's not a higher grade, doesn't have enough fat to protect it either.  I just don't know if butcher paper would be enough to protect it and keep it from drying out.  With foil, I think there are better odds.  I would probe it through the foil with a Maverick cause you can zoom past the finish line.  When pulled off, I would open the foil to slow down carry over.  
  • Walt2015
    Options
    @cazzy its sitting right at 225 right now and IT is 149. Will be wrapping when it looks nice. I appreciate the advice
  • cazzy
    Options
    Walt2015 said:
    @cazzy its sitting right at 225 right now and IT is 149. Will be wrapping when it looks nice. I appreciate the advice
    Don't wrap till after the stall unless you're trying to have it for lunch.
  • Walt2015
    Options
    Right at 2 hours. 

• EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    Good call @cazzy on suggesting to drop the temp to 225°. I usually cook my packers at 250° and after thinking about the flat only which I have never cooked it makes more sense than 250°.

• blasting
    Options
    Thanks cazzy.  
    Phoenix 
  • cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    So here is a tip that a few of us use.  

After you put your brisket on, if you have any bare spots from handling it, hit it with some rub.  You can also do that if you have any light spots in your bark that aren't caused by a fat puddle.
  • Walt2015
    Options
    @cazzy those tongs got me and took some rub off the top. I hit it with some dizzy dust to cover it up. 
  • cazzy
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Walt2015 said:
    @cazzy those tongs got me and took some rub off the top. I hit it with some dizzy dust to cover it up. 
    Just get some food safe disposible gloves.  Don't use tongs...especially after your bark sets.
  • Walt2015
    Options
    3:45 in now. 158 IT. Will wrap after stall. Just spritzed with ACV/water mixture. 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited May 2015
    Options
    We also cook with liquid in the pan on all our Brisket cooks.  

Great results, high contest scores on the Egg.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Walt2015
    edited May 2015
    Options
    5:40 in on a 3.5# and still at 154 IT, so stall for 2 hours so far. No real rush but did wrap it to try to keep some moisture. Grid has been 225-250 for majority of cook. Didn't think it would take this long but I see it going at least 7-8 hours. May kick up temp closer to dinner time if needed. 
  • EggHead_Bubba
    Options
    We also cook with liquid in the pan on all our Brisket cooks.  

Great results, high contest scores on the Egg.
    Yep, me too.

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    blasting said:
    I try not to wrap at all, but sometimes I've used foil.  I know nothing about using butcher paper instead.  How's that different?

Thanks!

Theo
  • blasting
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Theophan said:
    blasting said:
    I try not to wrap at all, but sometimes I've used foil.  I know nothing about using butcher paper instead.  How's that different?

Thanks!

Theo

Hey Theo.  I'm not the guy to answer but since you asked me, as I understand it, the butcher paper doesn't soften up the bark as much as foil.  
    Phoenix 
  • Walt2015
    Options
    7 hours in and about 195-200 throughout but still not probing like butter... Hoping these last few degrees soften this thing up
  • Walt2015
    Options
    First off, thanks for all the advice. This thing was much better than expected. A little dryer than the packers I have done but I will wrap in something from now on as I do think we like the texture better. The thing ended up cooking about 8 hours and still not quite like butter even though it was foiled for several hours. 

Served with homemade bbq sauce based off of the one from Franklin's book. Ran out of Ketchup so had to improvise with sriracha but it was pretty tasty. 

Here she is. 

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Looks great. Well done. 

Little Rock, AR

• Lmidkiff
    Lmidkiff Posts: 442
    Options
    Was it tender?
    McKinney, TX
  • Walt2015
    Options
    @Lmidkiff wasn't the best I've made but still good to me. Glad it was just for a the wife and mother. I'll stick to packers from now on but glad I tried one. 
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    blasting said:

Hey Theo.  I'm not the guy to answer but since you asked me, as I understand it, the butcher paper doesn't soften up the bark as much as foil.  
    Ah -- very interesting.  Thanks!

Theo