Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First post, raise grill surface level to egg?

Options
Hey all, Ben from AK, just got a large green egg 3 weeks ago and have not given it a night off since. Was trying to figure out if there was an option to raise my grilling surface so that I'm not reaching down to flip burgers. Also any tips on cleaning are greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Welcome to the club. I would highly recommend a Woo from the Ceramic Grille Store.

http://www.ceramicgrillstore.com/large-woo-big-green-egg.html

Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • johnnyp
    johnnyp Posts: 3,932
    Options
    Add bolts/nuts to grid and elevate at high as you want. (I added a weber grate because of cost and accessibility). Many people
    have done this, search the forum for pics.

as for cleaning. Get the temp up to 700+ and maintain for at least 30 mins.  all gunk will burn off.

XL & MM BGE, 36" Blackstone - Newport News, VA
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    +1 on the nuts & bolts. I also use three fire bricks if I'm not using my homemade grid. Lots of options, just get creative
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I like the empty beer can approach, dirty job but someone has to empty them...Welcome!
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Benbacher
    Benbacher Posts: 7
    Options
    Yikes. They want 78 bucks to ship the woo to alaska haha
  • stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Benbacher said:
    Fire bricks have to be looking like a good option. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Benbacher said:
    Come on...3 weeks work with no time off, there has to be some loose cash in the couch.

At $78 for shipping, nuts/bolts/fire bricks/beer cans sound like a good solution.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    Egg hasn't had a nite off in three weeks is what I think he said.
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • Langner91
    Langner91 Posts: 2,120
    Options
    I use 3" bolts to raise the grid when using the plate setter. I bought Ss screws, fender washers, and nuts. 

I use use pop cans without the plate setter. 

You on can see both in the photo. 
    Clinton, Iowa
  • thebbb
    thebbb Posts: 67
    Options
    Langer91...how do you like that second tier rack/grill. I just got one and have only used it once but was not sure about how to set it on the grill, found it wobbly?
    Lbge and MiniMax  in Southern Manitoba
  • Sundown
    Sundown Posts: 2,980
    Options
    You guy's make me laugh with all of the 'rigs' you have.

Here's the EASY way.

Had one of these for years and wouldn't be without it!
  • Langner91
    Options
    thebbb said:
    Langer91...how do you like that second tier rack/grill. I just got one and have only used it once but was not sure about how to set it on the grill, found it wobbly?

I am going to apply some Engineering to it this week. It was very wobbly and at one point one of the four feet fell through the bottom grid. My first thought was to simply add screws/bolts to it and make it the height I wanted. But, the butterfly wings make that impossible. So, I think I am going to have to do something more permanent.

I don't really care if the legs fold up, so I think those will get welded in place at the highest point. One quick zap should take care of them. I do like that the sides fold up, so I am going to leave that feature.

Then, I am going to weld fender washers or some other piece of stainless onto the little feet so they are more stable when sitting on the grid.

I bought it to set my pizza stone on when I do pizzas. I can't have it this wobbly or I envision bad stuff happening.
    Clinton, Iowa
  • FaceDance
    FaceDance Posts: 289
    Options
    South Florida - Large BGE (DOB:  12/07/2013)
  • Langner91
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @FaceDance, which grid did you use for your top grid?  Is that another Large, or did you go down one size?
    Clinton, Iowa
  • Benbacher
    Options
    So that just happened :)
    did it low and slow at 215 for 7 hours. Held temp the whole time with no exterior modifications. Barely cracked lower vent and maybe a quarter inch showing on the daisy wheel. Applewood all throughout the burn that I soaked for a few days. Used that same water as my barrier. Maaaaan was it good. Will be eating brisket sandwiches all week. 
  • Benbacher
    Options
    I heard mixed instruction on fat side up or down, I went with up on this one under the thinking that those juices would flow into the meat rather than the drip pan. Seems to have worked. Even got a beautiful smoke ring on there. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Fat side up was the right choice. Bolts work great as do fire bricks. Two good cheap options.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga