Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boneless Beef Chuck Short ribs

Options
Shiff
Shiff Posts: 1,835
I love beef ribs and have cooked many different types. I used to like beef back ribs but decided that they are too much work for the amount of meat you end up with.  I then tried Plate Ribs and also chuck short ribs.  I liked the chuck short ribs the best.  I don't like braised meat, so I wanted to cook them low and slow.  I have cooked and posted my pictures on a couple of different beef rib cooks.

A few days ago, we went to the new Restaurant Depot in WIlmington, DE.  It is now the closest one to my home.  I spent  a lot of time in the meat department and found something new - boneless beef chuck short ribs.  I bought 1 cryovac package which was about 8.5 pounds at $6.39/pound.  Chuck short ribs with the bone were about $3.75/pound.  I opened the package today and there were 4 pieces that were triangle shaped.  All the membranes have been cut off leaving just meat and not too much fat.  Here is what one looks like:

I prepared 2 of them for dinner and froze the other 2.

I put on some salt,pepper,garlic rub.  Got the egg to 250 degrees with the platesetter and added some apple wood. Put the meat directly on the grill above a drip pan:

Cooked for 3 hours.  I then slathered on some BBQ sauce and put them in a metal cooking pan with foil on top and put it back on the egg for about 45 minutes.  Next time I cook these, I may skip the foil pan and just cook them longer uncovered.

Back on the egg:

After 45 minutes or so, I put the ribs directly on the grid again for another 1 1/2 hours:

They came out very tender and I was very pleased with them.  I will definitely do these again.  They are less work than ribs with bones and probably cost less per pound of meat.  They store better in the freezer and take up less room.  Here they are ready to eat:

Large BGE
Barry, Lancaster, PA

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Looks like a winner to me my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Looks great
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • beteez
    beteez Posts: 548
    Options
    Love doing boneless chuck shortribs 72 hour sous vide. Fork tender & mr at 128.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Nice! That looks amazing!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    I liked the fact that they were not separated into small cuts of meat like places like Costco sell.  I think the bigger pieces cook better without as much chance of drying out.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • Walt2015
    Walt2015 Posts: 583
    Options
    Nice looking cook... Never seen those near me but I'm darn sure going to look again!
    Memphis, TN ----> Chattanooga, TN
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    beteez said:
    You are playing with fire at 128 degrees for 72 hrs. Would hate to see you or your loved ones get sick. I could be wrong but I've never heard of a safe temp below 131 for longer than 4 hrs. Careful out there!

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    beteez said:
    You are playing with fire at 128 degrees for 72 hrs. Would hate to see you or your loved ones get sick. I could be wrong but I've never heard of a safe temp below 131 for longer than 4 hrs. Careful out there!

Yeah...mine went for 68 hours @ 145.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Nice
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • logchief
    logchief Posts: 1,415
    Options
    That is gorgeous looking meat, nice work.
    LBGE - I like the hot stuff.  The big dry San Joaquin Valley, Clovis, CA