Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Am I crazy?

Options
i have a mini that I have only had about a year.  I am thinking of selling it and getting a small.  I want something with more room than the mini but yet still portable. I went to a dealer today and they had a mini max as well as a small. I think I actually like the fact that the small has a deeper fire box, and am leaning towards a small to replace my mini.  An associate came up and told me he would go with the mini max because it has the same size grid as a medium.  I am pretty sure the small and mini max both have 13" grids correct me if I am wrong.  I figure an egg carten and a small will be pretty mobile. 
LBGE And MINI Egg

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,041
    edited May 2015
    Options
    You are crazy.  Keep the mini AND get a small.
    Yes small and MiniMax are the same grid size.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • jaydub58
    jaydub58 Posts: 2,167
    Options
    You're right about the grid size of the Small and MM.
    It might be good to hang on and see if the Egg Carten dude comes out with one for the MM.  That would be a great setup!
    John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    jaydub58 said:
    You're right about the grid size of the Small and MM.
    It might be good to hang on and see if the Egg Carten dude comes out with one for the MM.  That would be a great setup!
    Mm has built in handles, why wait on egg carten
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Don't you love when you know more than the dealer? 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    You better Hope Scotty does not see this! You will be a sinner to get ride of the mini. Keep the mini and buy and medium. 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • grillingunner
    grillingunner Posts: 116
    Options
    Roadpuke0 said:
    You better Hope Scotty does not see this! You will be a sinner to get ride of the mini. Keep the mini and buy and medium. 
    Medium instead of a small?
    LBGE And MINI Egg
  • Roadpuke0
    Roadpuke0 Posts: 529
    Options
    Sorry if you have to be Mobil the max is for you. Keep the mini it is a cooking machine. 
    Plumbers local 130 chicago.     Why do today what you can do tomorrow

weapons: XL, Minie, old gasser, weber, v10 Bradley smoker and sometimes talent!

Bristol, Wisconsin 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    I had asked this question on another thread but never got an answer: can the Minimax take a platesetter?  The dealer model I saw looked like it couldn't.  

My debate, a couple years back, was between the Mini and the Small; ended up with the Small and now that I realize its a Wokking Machine, I'm glad I made that decision.  I didn't know until seeing Yolk's photo above that the MM had side handles; the Small is not easy to move by yourself, and without a bracket you need to let it cool first.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    There is a mm plate setter or woo with 10" stone
  • slantback37
    slantback37 Posts: 135
    Options
    I got my small just last week. Going to fire it up for the first time next Saturday. now reading that the temp needs to be below 350 to set that gasket. Would doing a 4 Lb pork butt at 250 for 8 hrs set that gasket in place?? I also bought a party Q temp controller for it..
    I live in Duluth, Minnesota