Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bulgogi Flatiron

Options
Legume
Legume Posts: 14,607
first flatiron, I'm in love.

marinated all day in this 

Prepped some onion bombs with butter, beef better than bouillon, bulgogi marinade and some Adams Asian seasoning.

I cooked the flatiron at 400, flipping every few minutes, pulled it at 130ish on the thick end.

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    Looks great man!  Where did you find that marinade?

i love me some Korean beef.  There is a real authentic Korean market/restaurant here in ABQ that is fantastic.  I will miss it when we head back to NC.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I second JIC's comment...Korean food is up near the top of my list.  Hey, they're the Asian kings of BBQ.   Looks good and nice job.
    Options
    Bulgogi was my favorite during my brief visit to Korea. Most of the guys I was with stuck to kimchi because they weren't sure if they were getting beef. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,569
    Options
    Interesting..Looks like a great looking meal.. I need to get more adventurous with my cooks..Great pics as well.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    That looks perfect. Flat iron is a great cut for that style of cooking. 
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Interesting..Looks like a great looking meal.. I need to get more adventurous with my cooks..Great pics as well.
    Came back to your post after saying I need to get more adventurous..Well nothing like the present...Heading out to get all these ingredients..This will work great for today..Thanks..
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Yum 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Nice twist on the flatiron. The whole meal looks and sounds delicious. 
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    edited May 2015
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I found that at World Market.  Apparently the number 1 BBQ sauce in Korea from 2003 to 2013, not sure what happened after that, there may be a new sheriff in town.  According to the governor here, it is all about the sauce, number 1 most important thing. Apparently they also have Nielsen ratings for BBQ sauce in Korea, I'm not sure how that works, if they have people's grills or forks wired up.

Thanks for the comments everyone. It disappeared pretty quickly.  I'll be buying more flatirons for the freezer, it reminded me of a flank steak without the ropey texture.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    @Legume - thanks.  I'll have to see if I can find it.  I'll be really curious about the flavor, which is not so easy to obtain from scratch.  You can get close, but once you've had the authentic stuff, well...
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Just got back with all the ingredients...
  • Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options
    Nice computer work area @johnmitchell.
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • MunchkinRedux
    Options
    My Korean friend once gave me his wife's recipe for the Bulgogi marinade:

1/4 c. soy sauce
    2 T. brown sugar
    1 T. chopped garlic
    1/4 c. water
    3-4 spring onions, chopped
    1 small onion, minced
    1/4 Asian pear, chopped and smashed (sub:  1/4 kiwi, smashed)
    1 t. honey
    Freshly ground black pepper

Marinade the beef 3-12 hours.   Cook, rest, slice.   When I was in Korea we ate it wrapped in lettuce leaves.

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    As an engineer, I think this looks marvelous. 
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    stemc33 said:
    Bulgogi was my favorite during my brief visit to Korea. Most of the guys I was with stuck to kimchi because they weren't sure if they were getting beef. 
      I spent a year in Korea in the USAF, you actually had to request dog if you wanted the delicacy, so your friends fears were unwarranted.  Fell in love with Korean cuisine dining downtown as often as I could afford.  got lucky and went back 8 more times on business trips about 15 years later for a project I was an engineer on.  Bulgogi and Kimchi are great, but there is so much more to enjoy as well.  Spicy Dried squid is a great alternative to beef jerky.  I sure do miss the yakimandu I used to get late at night catching the drunk bus back to the barracks.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Zmokin said:
    stemc33 said:
      I spent a year in Korea in the USAF, you actually had to request dog if you wanted the delicacy, so your friends fears were unwarranted.  Fell in love with Korean cuisine dining downtown as often as I could afford.  got lucky and went back 8 more times on business trips about 15 years later for a project I was an engineer on.  Bulgogi and Kimchi are great, but there is so much more to enjoy as well.  Spicy Dried squid is a great alternative to beef jerky.  I sure do miss the yakimandu I used to get late at night catching the drunk bus back to the barracks.
    I was there for Team Spirit in 1988 before I went Active Duty Army. Wasn't a fan of the squid, but yes the yakimandu was great. I was only there for about 3.5 weeks and was too young to fully appreciate the experience (except for the taxi rides). Those were better than rides at a theme park. Lol. The military afforded me great opportunities. I only wish I would of made more of them. 
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming