Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smokeware cap or no Smokeware cap...I can't decide

Options
2»

Comments

• Jeepster47
    Jeepster47 Posts: 3,827
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    @chrisc133 ... why move it out of the rain?  That it's rainproof is one of the neat features of the cap.
    With the daisy wheel I mean...until the cap comes in.
    Okay, I understand. 

A friend of mine here in town cooks all winter on his screened in porch ... so folks do it.  Me, I'd be too nervous/paranoid to try it.  Why don't you consider making a temporary tin foil cap to get by. It doesn't take much to deflect the rain.

Washington, IL  >  Queen Creek, AZ ... Two large eggs and an adopted Mini Max

• volfan1
    volfan1 Posts: 164
    Options
    I haven't used my daisy wheel or ceramic cap since I got the Smokeware cap. Works like a charm for me.
    XL & Mini & knock off medium. Western North Carolina. Formerly Franklin, TN. Formerly in Palm Harbor, FL. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    @chrisc133 ... why move it out of the rain?  That it's rainproof is one of the neat features of the cap.
    With the daisy wheel I mean...until the cap comes in.
    Okay, I understand. 

A friend of mine here in town cooks all winter on his screened in porch ... so folks do it.  Me, I'd be too nervous/paranoid to try it.  Why don't you consider making a temporary tin foil cap to get by. It doesn't take much to deflect the rain.

Or if it will be a while before you buy the SmokeWare, or if someone still gags at the SW cost then as a great rain deflector go to a big box store like blue or orange and buy a roof top vent pipe cover for under 10 bucks. They will sit over your daisy - just remember they get blazing, skin searing HOT!

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • EggPerfection
    EggPerfection Posts: 124
    Options
    Chris,

There are other options.  Your KJ is going work beautifully and you should get used to using it as designed.  As for rain, www.perfectbbqtek.com can get you a temporary fix when needed.

Best - Jack 
    Best - Jack
  • 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Options
    Love my Smokeware cap.  BGE should outsource that to them as an upgrade.    
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • chrisc133
    chrisc133 Posts: 501
    Options
    Chris,

There are other options.  Your KJ is going work beautifully and you should get used to using it as designed.  As for rain, www.perfectbbqtek.com can get you a temporary fix when needed.

Best - Jack 
    Thanks for this @EggPerfection. Yes, I love how the stock daisy wheel looks. Next project will be to make sure the flameboss 200 stays dry. Plastic zip lock good enough?
    Augusta, GA
    #BGETEAMGREEN member
    MiniMax, Large, XL BGE
    Featured on Man Fire Food Season 7
  • Oklaegghead
    Options
    The smokeware cap is great. Especially in the rain on a low and slow.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,093
    edited May 2015
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    Chris,

Best - Jack 
    Thanks for this @EggPerfection. Yes, I love how the stock daisy wheel looks. Next project will be to make sure the flameboss 200 stays dry. Plastic zip lock good enough?
    Here is my FlameBoss weather proofing:

They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,093
    Options
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    I vote smokeware cap, no issues here and it's nice to not worry about rain for the overnight cooks.
  • AUCE
    AUCE Posts: 890
    Options
    Do it.........rain will put you outta commission. ...love mine

I would much rather be able to say I was glad I did than wished I had........

XL owner and purveyor of pallette perfection...

Homosassa....Mecca of Florida

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    I haven't used my daisy wheel since I got my Smokeware top. Not even sure where it is. If you do get the Smokeware top, just be careful, it seems to get a LOT hotter than my daisy wheel ever did.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • tfhanson
    tfhanson Posts: 219
    Options
    So I bit, and bought a Smokeware top on the way home from work last night.  Still in the box, but will try to use it tonight.
    Johns Creek, GA - LBGE and a some stuff
  • tactical_66
    tactical_66 Posts: 207
    Options
    I am pretty basic. I use my daisy wheel. No issues at all. I egg all year long in SE PA
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    RRP said:...go to a big box store like blue or orange and buy a roof top vent pipe cover for under 10 bucks. They will sit over your daisy - just remember they get blazing, skin searing HOT!

Ron beat my to it.  That's what I have, $5.99 at the local "railroad salvage" store.  It has blown off once, I need to affix some wires that hold on to the daisy wheel.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• RRP
    Options
    Botch said:
    RRP said:...go to a big box store like blue or orange and buy a roof top vent pipe cover for under 10 bucks. They will sit over your daisy - just remember they get blazing, skin searing HOT!

Ron beat my to it.  That's what I have, $5.99 at the local "railroad salvage" store.  It has blown off once, I need to affix some wires that hold on to the daisy wheel.  
    I've never had that happen - must be kinda windy where you live - like this

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Haven't seen a lot written about it, but I find my smokeware cap easier to make fine air adjustments on/keep than on the DFMT.  I say that even tho with the silicon slipcover the adj tab gets hot.    Shutdown hasn't been an issue,  but might grab the snuffer  cause I'm a toy ho.   
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • Ross in Ventura
    Ross in Ventura Posts: 7,234
    Options
    chrisc133 said:
    My kamado was FINALLY delivered on Monday after weeks of waiting.  I can't decide if I want to add the Smokeware cap or not. It seems most have good experiences--but a few reviews mentioned it's not easy to maintain low and slow temps due to more air getting in from the top.  I've played around with the daisy wheel and I seem to have no problems opening and closing and maintaining the daisy wheel position.  I'm most interested in the Smokeware cap for being able to BBQ in the rain through the pop-up showers in the South.  Any thoughts?

By the way, first cook pics will be coming soon.  I thawed a rack of baby backs and I have 4 bone-in chicken breasts I plan to use to make some jerk chicken.  It should be a good weekend.
    I have the Smokeware cap, I love it works better than daisy wheel

Ross
  • NoobZero
    NoobZero Posts: 177
    Options
    How are you guys able to shut down your Egg with the SW? Mine always has an opening no matter how I adjust it. Did get a dud?
    Atlanta GA. 
  • RRP
    Options
    NoobZero said:
    How are you guys able to shut down your Egg with the SW? Mine always has an opening no matter how I adjust it. Did get a dud?
    ??? Can you post a picture of it in the "closed" position? Maybe we can help you.
  • NoobZero
    Options
    RRP said:
    NoobZero said:
    ??? Can you post a picture of it in the "closed" position? Maybe we can help you.
    The other two openings are completely closed. I'm gonna feel like dummy if I'm missing something.
    Atlanta GA. 
  • NoobZero
    Options
    Well, that didn't work, can someone tell me how to post pics?
    Atlanta GA. 
  • NoobZero
    Options
    ok, here we go Ron.
    Atlanta GA. 
  • FLGrown
    FLGrown Posts: 1
    Options
    NoobZero said:
    ok, here we go Ron.
    It must be a defective unit, because mine shuts down all the way. Contact them because they were really helpful. I called one time and they have great customer support.