Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

reverse sear method

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I just got a new large BGE and am in the learning stage. Please tell me what the reverse sear method is. Thanks for helping a newcomer.

Comments

• Bigfoot
    Bigfoot Posts: 154
    Options
    budrow,
    That is when you cook at normal cooking temps first to just before the meat is done, then crank it up and sear it before pulling it off. Many swear by it

• Bigfoot,
    Thanks Bigfoot. That makes sense to me.

• The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    budrow,
    Alton Brown recommends this for lower-priced cuts of meat. Here's my web page on the subject:[p]TNW

[ul][li]Xert Steak Method (Trex spelled backwards)[/ul]
    The Naked Whiz
  • JP
    JP Posts: 8
    Options
    I don't understand the merits of this method as compared to the usual TRex method. They seem to follow completely opposite strategies on how to preserve the juice and flavor, and the only difference in the steak is quality. Could someone give me a (non-military :) ) explanation?

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    JP,
    its just my opinion on flavor, but the trex sear and then the rest and roast seems to have more flavor to me on the outer edges. the reverse sear gives a more uniform color throughout the meat for those looking for a red hunk of meat with the sear on the outside.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • billyg
    billyg Posts: 315
    Options
    Works really well with prime rib. I slow cook the prime rib to about a 130 internal temp. Then I take it off and cover with foil while the vents are open and the egg gets to 500 - 600. I put the prime rib back on for about 2 min on 3 sides. (The bone side I don't do). Because of the short period of time the prime is back on it really doesn't do anything to the internal temp. Let it rest in a 180 oven for at least 15 min and up to an hour and a half without worrying about it cooking any more.
    bill