Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raleigh NC Eggheads-Have you checked out Grill-Billies BBQ

Options
I just found out about Grill-Billies BBQ out on Durant Road, so I stopped by this evening after work.  I have to say that I was impressed. They have a very large selection of Rubs (Oakridge, Meat Church, John Henry, Plowboys, Smoking Guns, Killer Hogs...and plenty of others) and sauces (Only place in town I've found that carries Blues Hog).  Also, the owner Joe Pino couldn't have been nicer or more helpful. He was getting ready to close up (he had a whole hog cooking at NC State and was trying to make it over there), but he allowed me in and spent a few minutes talking to me about what I was looking for and made some recommendations and invited me to come back when he had a bit more time to talk. Their prices were good too relative to ordering online.  I'm always happy to bring my business to a local place like that, especially when they're so helpful and have a good selection.  I'll be going back for sure.

I wanted to mention my experience to the forum, and ask other Triangle area eggheads if they had any other recommendations for other BBQ related places to check out; Restaurants, Butcher Shops (Only Packer Brisket I've seen was a select packer from Wal Mart), Seafood Shops, BBQ Supply Stores, Egg Dealers (I've been very happy with all the Ace stores in the area, bought my Egg at Seaboard Ace). If anyone has any local hidden gems post em here. 
Raleigh NC, Large BGE and KJ Joe Jr.

Comments

• NCEggSmoker
    NCEggSmoker Posts: 336
    Options
    Here's a photo of my haul from today. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,974
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!  The hidden gem (well maybe not so hidden) in Raleigh is Poole's diner - comfort food place.  In Durham, check out Rose's Meats and Sweets - high end butcher place.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • icunrse
    icunrse Posts: 87
    Options
    I will have to make a trip! I'm in Fayetteville. 
    Amy 
    Hope Mills, NC
    LBGE, and the only one on the block. My neighbor just got a new gas grill...let the games begin!!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    Don't want to hijack thread, but has anyone in that area eaten at Honey Bees BBQ?  It's a trailer, not bricks and mortar.
  • NCEggSmoker
    Options
    Thanks for the tip!  The hidden gem (well maybe not so hidden) in Raleigh is Poole's diner - comfort food place.  In Durham, check out Rose's Meats and Sweets - high end butcher place.
    I've never been to Pooles, I'll have to try it. I've heard Mama Dips is somewhere to check out too, if for nothing else the pies are supposed to be excellent. Thanks for the recommendation. 
  • NCEggSmoker
    Options
    Haven't tried it, let me know if you try it. Best BBQ I've had in Raleigh so far was a place that used to be in Garner in an old diner. 
    Legume said:
    Don't want to hijack thread, but has anyone in that area eaten at Honey Bees BBQ?  It's a trailer, not bricks and mortar.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I've never been to Pooles, I'll have to try it. I've heard Mama Dips is somewhere to check out too, if for nothing else the pies are supposed to be excellent. Thanks for the recommendation. 
    Mama dips is okay except it's in Chapel Hill.  Fried chicken is decent. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Haven't tried it, let me know if you try it. Best BBQ I've had in Raleigh so far was a place that used to be in Garner in an old diner. 
    Legume said:

I ran a conference in Raleigh a couple of years ago.  We had a bunch of people from Texas through, and the nearest/best BBQ place to the convention center was The Pit.  Folks seemed to like it, though I've not been.

We have one in Durham that's supposed to be run by the same people. I've been a few times and it's pretty good, not great.   
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    This might be of interest. A list of NC Q joints that still cook with wood...

http://www.truecue.org/true-cue-nc/

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This might be of interest. A list of NC Q joints that still cook with wood...

http://www.truecue.org/true-cue-nc/
    That's a cool list. I've been to several.  
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I've only been to Wilber's and Hursey's. Really want to go to B's in Greenville one of these days. They didn't exist when I was there. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• jmarbs21
    jmarbs21 Posts: 139
    Options
    Has anyone tried kamado grille in Raleigh yet? 
    Durham, NC
  • NCEggSmoker
    Options
    jmarbs21 said:
    Has anyone tried kamado grille in Raleigh yet? 
    I haven't tried it yet...I have mixed thoughts about it. On one hand it's a cool idea...on the other if I'm going to eat out I usually want something different than what I can get at home and I can get egged food a home. I have looked at the menu and there are a few interesting choices. 
  • JoeyH
    JoeyH Posts: 15
    Options
    I've been in there and they've got alot of good stuff. It's hidden and you've got to look hard to find it.
    There's a "egg style" restaurant opening up off Lynn and Falls soon, across from Jason's Deli.