Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kitchen Knife Sets

Options
 Looking  to purchase a quality knife set. Not interested in breaking the bank. Any suggestions

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I would get away from the "set" idea and buy some quality individual knives. Buy a chefs, slicer, boning, paring to start. Add as you see a need.  Maybe a cleaver and carving? Don't get to caught up in a set. You really end up using a few knives over and over. Just my 2 cents. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    1) Don't buy a "set", just buy the knives you need. For instance, unlike pgprescott, I have a paring knife, but I use it only when I need an extra steak knife. I have 10 real steak knives.

2) Hold them in your hand before you buy. I thought Ken Onion's looked really cool. Then I held one and thought it was very uncomfortable.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    1) Don't buy a "set", just buy the knives you need. For instance, unlike pgprescott, I have a paring knife, but I use it only when I need an extra steak knife. I have 10 real steak knives.

2) Hold them in your hand before you buy. I thought Ken Onion's looked really cool. Then I held one and thought it was very uncomfortable.
    My point exactly. One size does not fit all. Don't rush it. 
  • icunrse
    icunrse Posts: 87
    Options
    I buy the knives I need: paring, boning, chef or santoku, and a sharpening stone. I have Wustof. 
    Amy 
    Hope Mills, NC
    LBGE, and the only one on the block. My neighbor just got a new gas grill...let the games begin!!

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    If you are trying to not break the bank, as above, don't buy a set. You will end up spending money on knives you rarely use, and not enough money on knives that you use all the time.

For instance, I don't need a boning knife very often. I've got a couple, a Dexter-Russel, a Chicago cutlery, etc. Cost less than $10 each. Can be good and sharp, stand up to rough use, easy to sharpen. Works fine for me.

For vegetable cutting, I've got a few Kiwi brand "nakiri" style and cleavers, all less than $10.

My knife needs are pretty common. I use a 9" chef knife, a 5" utility, and a 3" paring most. I've got a couple of hundred $ in those. $50 for a paring knife might seem like a lot, but I use it everyday, and I only need to sharpen it maybe once every 6 mo.s.

• TN_Sister_State
    TN_Sister_State Posts: 1,130
    Options
    I'm with the majority on no knife set. I have an 8 inch Mac chefs knife I use for mostly everything and is razor sharp, I also have a bread knife and plan on a boning knife. I've found you rarely use all the knives in a set. I'll never part ways with my Mac. Love that thing.
    Franklin, Tn
    LBGE - Cast Iron Grate - Flameboss 300 - BGEtisserie

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Here you go....keeps you on our site.

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1102775/ot-knives

I agree with not set.  Just start with a good chefs knife.  I also recommend going large on the chefs.  I went small and then added another larger one.  Good luck.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • highball
    highball Posts: 16
    Options

My suggestion is the peasent chef knife from lee valley tools, its all I use 

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/page.aspx?cat=2,40733,40738&p=52770  

• luckyboy
    luckyboy Posts: 284
    Options
    Sam's club and Costco has an inexpensive knife selections plus chief's tools.
  • Begger
    Begger Posts: 569
    Options

Good advice:
    I'd add to go to a dedicated knife store.   Buy from knives with 440c steel or better.   The sales guy SHOULD know what that means.  

My Cutco knives are TOO expensive for what they are, but ARE extremely comfortable.