Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How do I.......

Options
what is the best/fastest way to start the lump/wood chunks and get the dome temp to 250-275?

Comments

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    Light a chimney with lump,  add to egg, wait. 

That's how I do it, so I know it's the best way.  ;)
  • aukerns08
    aukerns08 Posts: 253
    Options
    A propane or MAP torch will get the lump the started nice and quick.  For 250-275 I light about a softball size amount of lump in the center, let it get some air for a minute or two, shut the lid and leave the vents wide open until the needle starts getting towards 200 and start shutting the vents down to catch the temp.  Takes about 15-20 minutes or so, doesn't bother me though, that's good beer drinking time.
    Large and Mini BGE

Hamilton, VA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    this is very fast and after a weeks soak you have a years supply. dont let the fire get too big for low temps
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1143722/napkin-and-oil-trick-was-messy

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • dougcrann
    dougcrann Posts: 1,129
    Options
    Weed burner. Blast one section and hurry getting it together quick.  Last I used the Egg, prior to this nasty stomach bug setting in, had it at 450* in under 4 minutes. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    A shop vac or a hair dryer blown in the bottom vent will also accelerate the lighting time.  If you are using starters or oil/napkins I think it is best to do this after they have gone out (or don't overdo it).  I have found if you accelerate it too much the starters just burn up really fast before the lump has time to catch on.  Once you have the lump burning forced air will really make it climb fast.   

You can use a yard blower but IMO this is too much air and makes a mess.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    edited May 2015
    Options

I use this (from home depot)  BZ8250HTKC Map-Pro Hose Torch Kit

expensive  but no more $$  than a wired looftlighter   & no power cords!!

LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • SoCalTim
    SoCalTim Posts: 2,158
    Options
    @SteveinTracy  ... hey brother, what's the hurry? Assuming your doing a low and slow? Let it come up slow and ease into your projected temp ... that way you don't overshoot. 
    I've slow smoked and eaten so much pork, I'm legally recognized as being part swine - Chatsworth Ca.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    A shop vac or a hair dryer blown in the bottom vent will also accelerate the lighting time.  If you are using starters or oil/napkins I think it is best to do this after they have gone out (or don't overdo it).  I have found if you accelerate it too much the starters just burn up really fast before the lump has time to catch on.  Once you have the lump burning forced air will really make it climb fast.   

You can use a yard blower but IMO this is too much air and makes a mess.  
    I used to use a hair dryer, but now I use my new leaf blower.  Be careful when trying to hurry or you will over shut it.  It only takes my XL to get to 225 in about 20 minutes if I let it go on its own.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • dlk7
    dlk7 Posts: 1,053
    Options
    I use a Bernzomatic TS8000 with my XLs.  I only light the area directly under what I'm cooking.  For low and slows, I light about 3 inches forward of center for about 40 seconds, open the top and bottom vents all the way and start closing the vents when it hits about 200.  With Rockwood charcoal and my trusty MAP torch, I can be cooking in less than 15 minutes at 225 or 600 degrees.

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Waunakee, WI

• MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    dlk7 said:
    I use a Bernzomatic TS8000 with my XLs.  I only light the area directly under what I'm cooking.  For low and slows, I light about 3 inches forward of center for about 40 seconds, open the top and bottom vents all the way and start closing the vents when it hits about 200.  With Rockwood charcoal and my trusty MAP torch, I can be cooking in less than 15 minutes at 225 or 600 degrees.
    This mirrors my experience and when I messed up and had a flame out, the mapp torch got that fire back going in 2 minutes!
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    I am in the Chimney Camp
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    edited May 2015