Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak Duo

Options
Browsing the SRF sale really put me in the mood for steak so naturally had to stop and pick a few up. 1 NYStrip and 1 Ribeye.

I have been using the TRex method with great success, but wanted to mix it up a bit. I decided to go hot an fast. I ended up running around 650. Steaks took about 4 minutes, flipping every 30 seconds, dome closed after flips. They turned out absolutely fantastic! 

XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO

Comments

• Northarrow
    Northarrow Posts: 103
    Options
    I need to stop looking at these threads while working... looks great.
    Kennebunk, Maine
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I like everything about this post except NY Strip.  I guess it's my pet peeve like forks for @THEBuckeye who may comment on this one soon.  Being from KC I call it a KC Strip or just a steak.  The food does look good.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Man those look great.  I am partial to reverse sear but I might give this method a try next time.  It sounds nice to not mess with multiple stages and just cook them.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Looks really great! I am curious, is it common practice on the BGE to flip steaks multiple times? I usually just cook once on each side for high heat cooking.
    LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Excellent!!
    GWN
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Looks great. I may have that same yellow plate, mine seems to get hotter than a BGE in a microwave
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    Ladeback69  - Yeah I agree, its a just a strip steak. A lot of places around here use the term NYS, and it just sticks.

IPASooner  - I think it is just personal preference, I've done it both ways with good results. There was an article out recently that actually explained that flipping helps with consistently, but once again it probably doesn't make much difference.

St. Louis, MO
  • byrne092
    Options

Man those look great.  I am partial to reverse sear but I might give this method a try next time.  It sounds nice to not mess with multiple stages and just cook them.
    Yeah it was a nice change of pace from a 30-45 minute cook time to 5.

St. Louis, MO
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    IPASooner said:
    Looks really great! I am curious, is it common practice on the BGE to flip steaks multiple times? I usually just cook once on each side for high heat cooking.
    Just another way to cook them. There are several ways to cook a good steak do what you like best. It is fun to try different techniques, I've started keeping notes on different cooks, so I remember what works best. Too many beers can cloud the memory bank! Lol
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • IPASooner
    IPASooner Posts: 208
    Options
    Thanks for the clarification @byrne092

LBGE

Marblehead, MA
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited May 2015
    Options
    byrne092 said:
    Ladeback69  - Yeah I agree, its a just a strip steak. A lot of places around here use the term NYS, and it just sticks.

IPASooner  - I think it is just personal preference, I've done it both ways with good results. There was an article out recently that actually explained that flipping helps with consistently, but once again it probably doesn't make much difference.
    It makes a difference if you don't want banding. Plus, it cooks faster.
  • byrne092
    edited May 2015
    Options
    byrne092 said:

It makes a difference if you don't want banding. Plus, it cooks faster.
    Yeah the quicker cook time was the other thing mentioned. That would make sense because it would be facing the heat more often. What is banding?

St. Louis, MO
  • byrne092
    Options
    ads75 said:
    Looks great. I may have that same yellow plate, mine seems to get hotter than a BGE in a microwave
    Yeah these plates seem to get ridiculously hot in the microwave/oven

St. Louis, MO