Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First low and slow attempt on the BGE

Options
I got a lbge last week and I had to wait until the weekend to smoke my first shoulder.  I stuck it in at 250­°F on Friday night. 8 hours later when I got up it was at about 230°F.  It was smelling so good that I did some early morning yard work just to be around it.  I let it smoke for another 8 hours, then I wrapped it in foil and let it sit in a cooler for about 2 hours.  Came out great.  I also made a sauce with mustard, vinegar, coke and some herbs I had laying around and I made some pickled mustard seeds to go with it.  Came out great. 
http://imgur.com/a/66Ebo

Comments

• swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    Very nice work.  I remember how good I felt succeeding on my early rib cooks.  I had that Tim Allen "Ugh me hunter" type feeling..  Bravo!!!
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • swordsmn
    swordsmn Posts: 683
    Options
    And welcome to the group!!!
    LBGE, AR.  Lives in N.E. ATL
  • bluebird66
    bluebird66 Posts: 2,727
    Options
    Welcome and it sounds like you nailed it!
    Large Egg with adjustable rig, Kick Ash Basket, Minimax and various Weber's.
    Floyd Va

• beachsmoke
    beachsmoke Posts: 644
    Options
    looks great welcome this site is a great place
    Large egg panhandle of florida
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Welcome. Very nice first post!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Very nice! 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • slantback37
    slantback37 Posts: 135
    Options
    Sorry if I am in the wrong place, but I can't figure out how to post on this site. I do have a question though.
    I just got a small egg. I have never fired it up yet. Been raining for the last two weeks. I have been told to fire it no higher than 350. I have a 4 Lb pork shoulder that I want to smoke. I have the Party Q to plug in. If I kept the temp at 250 for 8 hrs. ( I have a 4 Lb shoulder ) would that be long enough to seal the gasket??
    I live in Duluth, Minnesota
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sorry if I am in the wrong place, but I can't figure out how to post on this site. I do have a question though.
    I just got a small egg. I have never fired it up yet. Been raining for the last two weeks. I have been told to fire it no higher than 350. I have a 4 Lb pork shoulder that I want to smoke. I have the Party Q to plug in. If I kept the temp at 250 for 8 hrs. ( I have a 4 Lb shoulder ) would that be long enough to seal the gasket??
    Yes, more than enough.
    Options
    @nolabrew Nice job!  Are you in New Orleans?
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Nice first cook on the Egg.  Welcome!slantback37 said:
    Welcome to the forum.  250 is a good temp for a pork shoulder.  Every piece of meat is different due to the leanness and/ or fat content.  Pull your pork shoulder at a internal temperature of 200 degrees and wrap it in foil and let it rest in an ice chest for up to 4 hours before pulling the pork.  Minimum rest time before pulling the pork is about 30 minutes.  I generally always smoke a pork butt.  It has a different texture than the shoulder.

I see that @nolaegghead  answered your gasket question.

Any road will take you there if you don't know where you're going.

Terry

Rockwall, TX
  • cook861
    cook861 Posts: 872
    Options
    Great first cook
    Trenton ON 1 mbge for now
  • slantback37
    Options
    I have a Masterbuilt electric smoker. I could never get the right wood chips, or something else was always wrong. I had to sit by it all of the 10 hrs or so it took to smoke it, and their book said to keep it filled with chips. I have a Party Q for the temp control, and a Maverick thermometer for internal temp for the butt. I now have to find a mild dry rub I can make. I am a Diabetic. I also get the acid reflux. I have been reading some of the ones on this site, along with others. I don't want the heat all that much either. I had a butcher cut me the 4 Lb butt. I never got any real info with my egg. someone at where I work has a Large egg. They got a CD, and a booklet with theirs. All I got was a sheet. That told me to use a torque wrench to put the rings on. Lucky enough I have one.
    This is my first egg, and I got rid of all of the rest. I heard this one does it all.
  • slantback37
    Options
    If you are asking me where I am from?? I live in Duluth, Minnesota.
  • onedbguru
    onedbguru Posts: 1,647
    edited May 2015
    Options
    nolabrew said:
     I also made a sauce with mustard, vinegar, coke and some herbs I had laying around and I made some pickled mustard seeds to go with it.  Came out great. 
    Welcome to the asylum... Looks good.

I am just not a fan of vinegar-based sauces. That's not real bbq sauce :) ... Guess that's because I spent too much time in TX and KCMO where they do "real" BBQ ;)
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Ok, can't believe it hasn't come up, but pics or it didn't  happen is the rule.

well let you slide on our first post, welcome  
  • YYZegger
    YYZegger Posts: 231
    Options
    Very Nice job, congrats!

Toronto, Canada  LBGE
  • blukat
    blukat Posts: 354
    Options
    Welcome to the madness!
  • Hunter1881
    Hunter1881 Posts: 406
    Options
    Your final product looks great. Off to a good start.
    Henderson TN. 1 large BGE, 1 Webber Gasser (recently seems to have converted into a warming oven)
  • nolabrew
    nolabrew Posts: 246
    Options
    Yup. I also brew beer. 
  • nolabrew
    Options
    Ok, can't believe it hasn't come up, but pics or it didn't  happen is the rule.

well let you slide on our first post, welcome  
    There's a link with pics at the end. :-)
  • nolabrew
    Options

onedbguru said:
    nolabrew said:
     I also made a sauce with mustard, vinegar, coke and some herbs I had laying around and I made some pickled mustard seeds to go with it.  Came out great. 
    Welcome to the asylum... Looks good.

I am just not a fan of vinegar-based sauces. That's not real bbq sauce :) ... Guess that's because I spent too much time in TX and KCMO where they do "real" BBQ ;)
    We will just have to agree to disagree. I'll keep it vinegary and you can cover yours in ketchup or what ever the hell y'all do up north. :-) 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    nolabrew said:
    Yup. I also brew beer. 
    Somehow, that makes sense ;)

I'm in Algiers Point.  We're doing the 2nd annual "brisket camp" on Oct. 17th at Warren's Corner next to the Old Point Bar.  Feel free to come.
    Options

I'm in Algiers Point.  We're doing the 2nd annual "brisket camp" on Oct. 17th at Warren's Corner next to the Old Point Bar.  Feel free to come.

Sounds awesome.  I love Algiers and the OPB. Unfortunately, I can't make brisket camp because I'm doing a beer brewing demonstration for the Deutsches Haus at Oktoberfest that day. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,036
    Options
    nolabrew said:

Sounds awesome.  I love Algiers and the OPB. Unfortunately, I can't make brisket camp because I'm doing a beer brewing demonstration for the Deutsches Haus at Oktoberfest that day. 
    Ok guys.  I see a brisket & brew camp in the near future.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • nolabrew
    Options
    Yup.  I'd be happy to donate a keg of beer to the cause as well.
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    My bad. My reading comprehension sucks. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,333
    Options
    Welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.  Strong start right there. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    nolabrew said:
    Yup.  I'd be happy to donate a keg of beer to the cause as well.
    Sweet!  I have a kegerator....maybe you could make the pre-party on Friday...