Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Still undecided on table build

Initially I wanted to do a concrete top for my table, but then I got the second egg.  I'm not sure I want something that heavy.  I've decided to do cedar.  

Rough dimensions will be 6.5' long, 2.5' deep and the table top will be waist high. I have a couple questions:

1) will the 6' span be strong enough to support two larges? Each egg will be situated about 8" from the left and right side to maximize table space in between. 

2) I planned on doing 1x4" or 1x6" planks length-wise for the top, with about 1/8" space between planks.  I know cedar moves.  Which direction does it move? With the grain or perpendicular to it?

3. Does cedar take stain well? 

4) after staining, does spar urethane cover stain well?

thanks for the help

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

Comments

• Proser
    Proser Posts: 271
    I would put a support leg in the middle at least ( I tend to overbuild so two would be better than one)

Use 2x material for the top, no more than you need it will be worth it

cedar tends to shrink and swell on the width of the boards

Sikkens makes a good product for cedar.  Finish with spar urethane on the top 3-5 coats

Arlington, TX  1 large, 1 medium, 1 Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,324
    edited May 2015
    Really depends on the size/type of lumber your lower support shelf (the one that the eggs will rest upon).

This can help you figure it out: http://www.woodbin.com/calcs/sagulator.htm
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Cedar won't move if it's secured properly and finished. Pressure treated will warp. 
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Oh....be sure to put the grain circle up
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I think mine is 7 ft long.

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    @johnkitchens that is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. How big are your casters? Also, what is underneath your eggs? Is that just ceramic tile, or are those granite slabs?

thanks everyone else for the tips.  I'll check out Sikkens. Also, thanks @HeavyG for the calculator. All this stuff is really helpful

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• johnkitchens
    SaltySam said:
    @johnkitchens that is EXACTLY what I'm looking for. How big are your casters? Also, what is underneath your eggs? Is that just ceramic tile, or are those granite slabs?

thanks everyone else for the tips.  I'll check out Sikkens. Also, thanks @HeavyG for the calculator. All this stuff is really helpful
    That is 3/16" plate steel. I will have to measure the casters. 

• SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Did you buy it like that, or did you paint it? Sorry if that's a dumb question...I'm not familiar with plate steel, where to buy it, etc. I assume it's rustproof.  

That at table is beautiful. Do you keep it covered? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• johnkitchens
    SaltySam said:
    Did you buy it like that, or did you paint it? Sorry if that's a dumb question...I'm not familiar with plate steel, where to buy it, etc. I assume it's rustproof.  

That at table is beautiful. Do you keep it covered? 
    Not a dumb question at all! I like helping guys here. 

We use a lot of steel at work. I had them cut and paint these pieces for me. As long as the paint stays on it will be rustproof. If you want to use steel any local fabrication shop can help you out.

Thank you for the compliments on my table. I don't keep it covered. It is on a porch so it doesn't get rained on unless it is a blowing rain which isn't that often.

This is my other table that I use for storage.